SiouxSports.com Forum

It's official: Duncan one of three Hobey Baker finalists

PCM

so who thinks that hensick's little misconduct and comments during the press conference contributed to him getting bounced from the top 3??

I certainly do. It's one thing to take a dumb penalty in the most important game of the season and another thing to be cocky, arrogant and unrepentant about it after the game.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hensick's actions on and off the ice at the regional kept him out of the top three. There is no other reason he is not there, his stats would have him there. I think it's great, he is a direct reflection of his coach (nice job Red). He showed lack of self disipline and lack of respect for his team. I think Duncs has as good of chance as anyone. I wouldn't mind if the Ehn kid won, but don't give it to a goalie that saw less than 20 shots a game... and he plays for the flippin Irish. Go Sioux!

I was under the impression that all the voting has taken place, and the Hobey Hat Trick are the top three vote getters (ie, there is no more voting). Hobey Baker winner is announced the Friday during the Frozen Four.

Fighting Sioux 23-

You are correct. The voting is done and the winner is locked away until next Friday.

Anyone have a link to the story?

The stories are coming. This just happened. I went into the weekly news conference thinking that the announcement would be made later today. I knew something was up when Duncan and Hakstol came into the briefing room during the session that's normally Hakstol alone. That's when Dave made the announcement that Duncan was one of three finalists.

So the ceremony on Friday night is just ceremonial, everyone knows who won beforehand?

I was thinking back to when Zach Parise was one of three finalists. I remember that being a lunch meeting. However, this is what it says on the Hobey Baker Web site:

The Hobey Hat Trick of three finalists will be announced on March 28, 2007 with the Hobey Baker Award winner announced Friday, April 6, 2007 from Scottrade Center in St. Louis, during the NCAA Frozen Four tournament. The announcement is airing live on ESPNU at 6:00 pm CT.

I'm really surprised, I thought it would be Curry, Hensick and Dunc/Ehn with Hensick winning. I didn't think Dunc really had a chance. I was wrong.

I agree.

Will Duncan be the second Sioux Hobey faithful snubbed by a goaltender?

I agree with whoever said Ehn will win. Whichever finalist has the most conspiracy theories supporting why they would win would win it. That's why Ehn will win. :lol:

Yes, the Hobey is announced and then there's the skills competition (w/none other than John Curry participating... at least he was voted in as a participant).

So is the announcement made from the ice where people attending the skills competition will be able to witness it live...or is it in a separate room and if so, are tix available to the general public?

As I said when the bios of the top ten were released, it was real easy to see who would would be your three finalists. Ehn will only win if sentiment is allowed to outweigh the strength of schedule and league. Otherwise, this is a Duncan vs Brown competition all the way.

Well if it's strength of schedule then it would go to Duncan (UND #4 SOS), Brown (Notre Dame #32 SOS) and then Ehn (AFA #51 SOS).

I think that comparison goes to Duncan who was far and away the best scorer in the far and away hardest conference.

Browns GAA average is terrific, but his save percentage is just barely over the other goalies. Other than that without seeing him play you can't judge a goalie. I only saw parts of the Michigan State game and he wasn't having a good night.

I wonder that as well.

I would have thought that Hensick was a shoe-in to make the final 3, and probably win the award, so this is surprising.

Go Ryan, and congrats! :lol:

Like I said in a previous post, Hensick's actions this past weekend are similar to his entire career. He seems to be known as a selfish player. It doesn't surprise me that he isn't in the top 3. He is very talented, but that isn't the ONLY thing that a Hobey winner must possess.

So is the announcement made from the ice where people attending the skills competition will be able to witness it live...or is it in a separate room and if so, are tix available to the general public?

Tickets are available to the general public (I guess the Hockey Humanitarian Award is presented at 6:35 after the 6:00 presentation of the Hobey Baker Award, and then the Skills Challenge starts at 7:30 -- the awards must be presented on the ice, too, given that you get one ticket to all events). Here's what the Hobey site says about tickets ($10 for the night) - buy at Ticketmaster or in person at the Scottrade Center.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/events/announcement/

By the way, did anyone see the Hobey Baker life story over the weekend. (As opposed to the Bob Norton Hobey show).

It talked about his athletic career, his sportsmanship and his war career. Baker was a war hero who was killed in a plane crash in France shortly after the war.

I don't know why I hadn't known that, my bad.

By the way, did anyone see the Hobey Baker life story over the weekend. (As opposed to the Bob Norton Hobey show).

It talked about his athletic career, his sportsmanship and his war career. Baker was a war hero who was killed in a plane crash in France shortly after the war.

I don't know why I hadn't known that, my bad.

I saw that two or three times... great story! I loved the part where after every game he would go to the opposing team's locker room just to shake their hands... I thought that was cool