SiouxSports.com Forum

It's official: Duncan one of three Hobey Baker finalists

PCM

*counts to ten and leaves after reading that moron's comments completely unrelated to Ryan Duncan or the article*

Must be a disgruntled Gopher fan still walking home from Denver.

Don't be miffed by those posters. Most of them don't have a clue. On Brad's blog I've read posters who:

1. Think the Sioux are losing fans because they don't recruit enough North Dakotans and Northern Minnesotans (basically, they feel all UND players should be from North Dakota, EGF, and that portion of Minnesota)

2. Most of the fire Hakstol sentiment comes from the comment section

3. Every player sucks

4. Even more "You guys did good but you certainly suck anyways" type stuff.

PCM- Hoboy! :lol:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is better than the '97 team - and there is no definative favorite like Mich was in '97.

The only thing that is the same is that we will win.

I don't know, I hope your right. :lol: Maine scares the crap out of me and they did the same thing against SCSU that they did to us.

Maybe this time we can get a solid effort and win number 8.

Edited by Goon

Brown's numbers: 30 wins, .931 save %, 1.58 GA and 6 shutouts. Wins and GA lead the nation, save % and shutouts near the top.

I think Brown will still win because Notre Dame probably received more national press than anyone this year, he is a senior and very involved in the community, and there is no clear favorite among the other players - Duncan did have 12 points less than Hensick and Ehn plays in a weak league.

First off I hope your wrong. I hope that the writers will look at the facts that the WCHA top to bottom is still the toughest league in college hockey and the fact that Ryan was consistant and score many points against the tough teams like Minnesota, SCSU and Michigan. The CCHA has a lot of creme poofs in it and the over all power of Notre Dame was pretty weak.

Forgive me for yet again being the cold bucket of water on a Sioux parade, but I'd much rather see the team win than Dunc win the Hobey.

I think he's been a very nice hockey player, and I hope he wins, but what's weird is that the potential Hobey winner will almost certainly be back in a Sioux uniform next year and his linemates almost certainly will not be as they move on to the NHL.

Weird.

Forgive me for yet again being the cold bucket of water on a Sioux parade, but I'd much rather see the team win than Dunc win the Hobey.

So how does this make you different from anyone else? :lol:

Just for the heck of it, I put together some stats on Ryan Duncan's goals for this season that you can view here. Comments welcome.

Great stuff, PCM. Thanks. Here's what I noticed FWIW:

Toews and Oshie combined had 7 assists on Duncan's first 14 goals (that takes you through the 2006 calendar year).

Of those, only 4 of those were first assists. The other 3 were 2nd assists. And since 2 of those 2nd assists were at home, they are obviously phantom assists, and didn't factor into the play.

That's just further evidence of how Duncan carried this team in the first half, and Toews/Oshie were not a big factor in his success at that time.

I normally like what Brad Schlossman writes, but one thing struck me funny in the article from today's (March 29, 2007) Grand Forks Herald....

Accompanying the large photo in the article entitled "Duncan in Hobey Hat Trick" (Page 1D) is a note which reads, in part:

Ryan Duncan has a 33.3 percent chance of becoming UND's first Hobey Baker Award winner since Tony Hrkac

I'm not sure which is funnier:

a) That Brad thinks we need help computing the fraction 1/3, as in "one of three finalists".

OR

b) That Brad thinks that computing said fraction gives us the actual percentage of Duncan's chances.

I mean, it's not like we're pulling a ping pong ball out of a basket, people. The voting is complete and he will either be announced the winner or he won't. To say he has a 33.3 percent chance of winning is like saying that each of the 10 nominees had (before this announcement) a 30% chance of being in the Hobey Hat Trick, or a 10% chance of winning.

I just thought it was a case of wanting to include some measure of his chances, but it was not well thought out.

As they say, 41.2 percent of all statistics are made up in the middle of the conversation. ???

Sioux18

I normally like what Brad Schlossman writes, but one thing struck me funny in the article from today's (March 29, 2007) Grand Forks Herald....

Accompanying the large photo in the article entitled "Duncan in Hobey Hat Trick" (Page 1D) is a note which reads, in part:

Ryan Duncan has a 33.3 percent chance of becoming UND's first Hobey Baker Award winner since Tony Hrkac

I'm not sure which is funnier:

a) That Brad thinks we need help computing the fraction 1/3, as in "one of three finalists".

OR

b) That Brad thinks that computing said fraction gives us the actual percentage of Duncan's chances.

There's a 99.99 percent chance Brad didn't write the caption.

No offense to Ehn, but I don't think he is going to get the votes.

So it comes down to Brown and Duncan. With Elliott, and the two Cornell guys getting no love I don't see how Brown will get it either.

Considering that Hobey Baker was an Air Corp Pilot who was killed in service to the US I could see giving it to Ehn.

I won't even say that Duncan was robbed.

Considering that Hobey Baker was an Air Corp Pilot who was killed in service to the US I could see giving it to Ehn.

I support our troops 100 per cent so, please, don't anyone misconstrue the following.

My understanding is that the Hobey Baker award is for an exemplary hockey player, not for a hockey player who is or will be in the military. Granted, committing to the military for five years after graduation would count as 'strength of character'.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/news/index.html?article_id=19

Criteria for the award includes: strength of character on and off the ice, displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

I support our troops 100 per cent so, please, don't anyone misconstrue the following.

My understanding is that the Hobey Baker award is for an exemplary hockey player, not for a hockey player who is or will be in the military. Granted, committing to the military for five years after graduation would count as 'strength of character'.

My brother is retired Air Force and a decorated combat veteran, so I understand your point. While I'm sure Ehn is a great person and a credit to our country, I think the voting will ultimately come down to who is the better hockey player.

Remember, the voting is already done for the Hobey. They voted from the 10 finalists. The "Hobey Hat Trick" merely represents the top 3 vote getters, so it's not like voters are picking between Duncan, Brown, and Ehn. Rather, they picked from the top ten. I think Ehn has a great chance at winning, and if he did, I would be fine with that. In all actuality, I'd be fine with whoever wins it out of these three. They each had great seasons and are deserving of the award.