SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament round 1: UND vs. Michigan

jimdahl

Summers was moved up to LW from D about a month ago. He's a decent skater, not much of a scorer, and will take a bad penalty.

Cogliano has played for team Canada the last two seasons at the juniors, and is a first round draft pick as well.

Porter and Rohlfs started the season hot for Michigan, with the passing of Hensick leading the first line.

The second line didn't drop off much.

The third did thier role in scoring every now and then.

The fourth line was the checking line and give the others a break line.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got done watching the CCHA championship and I don't think Michigan has what it takes. They were able to generate some offense, but not able to finish vs. a very stingy Notre Dame team. Sauer was pretty sharp up until midway through the 3rd when he literally gave away the game. Notre Dame had tons of chances but doesn't have the high end finishers that UND sports.

The "X" factor will be the officiating. The CCHA final was called a LOT more closely than the WCHA final. If UND takes their typical array of penalties and doesn't adjust to the tourney rules they will be facing a lot of PP time vs. JJ, Cogliano, and Hensick.

That could be trouble if Michigan heats up.

If I were picking my NCAA champ with my head instead of my heart, I'd go with Notre Dame. No other reason than they are the most likely to play in the big game in my opinion. Only one of UM, UND, UMich, BC, UNH survive to play in the championship.

The "X" factor will be the officiating. The CCHA final was called a LOT more closely than the WCHA final.

Since it's the NCAA tournament, we should get either ECAC or Hockey East refs, correct? I think I'd rather have a Hockey East ref than an ECAC, as they tend to let their boys play a little more than the ECAC refs, who call a game similar to CCHA refs.

Here's their lines they have been going with:

LW 11 Porter C 7 Hensick RW 16 Rohlfs

LW 4 Summers C 9 Cogliano RW 24 Kolarik

LW 22 Naurato C 18 Miller RW 10 Turnbull

LW 14 Lebler C 15 Ciraulo RW 26 Fardig

LD 3 Johnson RD 6 Hunwick

LD 5 Kampfer RD 8 Dest

LD 25 Cook RD 17 Mitera

G 36 Sauer

Hey Wookie - just wanted to say thanks for your posts describing Michigan. Unfortunately, we don't see them very often anymore, except it seems in the NCAAs. Much appreciated.

I watched some of the Michigan vs. Michigan State game this past weekend and the Sioux look like they are in a completly different league than both teams. It was like watching a high school hockey game or something compared to the Sioux vs. St. Cloud game. Same goes with the Sioux/Gophers compared to the Notre Dame/Michigan game. The level of play in the WCHA seems so much higher.

I was thinking it could be an interesting game for the Gophers on Friday with Air Force playing at a home area rink in front of their fans and AF also being used to the altitude, etc.... The Gophs will have some time to adjust but nothing like Air Force. The high altitude won't be as much of a factor in the Sioux/Michigan game since both schools are from up North but could be in that first game of the day.

Go Air Force and Sioux!

I was working during the original broadcasting of the Tourney Selection show on ESPN2 today, but did get to catch pieces. I came home after work and watched it a bit more closely and they showed a highlight of how porous that Michigan team defense really is. Didn't skate at all! Our Sioux offense should do it's thing, as long as we can stay out of the box enough to do so.

On a side note, Minnesota should be more playoff ready due to their style of play that is less physical. I have a bad feeling that if we play them in the (regional) championship (may as well be national championship) we'll put on the horns and try to make a few more hits than we need to which might lead to a few more penalties against them (again).

While the focus of this game (and all Sioux games lately) has been "Can teamx stop the DOT line" my concern is more with the UND defense and goaltending. If the Sioux are to get #8 this year, there is a good chance that there will be a game where the DOT line is held in check (or runs into a hot goalie). The other lines need to continue their strong play and chip in a few goals each game.

Michigan is the highest scoring team in hockey. Can the Sioux hold down the Michigan offense ? While Phillipe has play very well the 2nd half of the season, he has not yet be tested in NCAA tourney play in a one and done situation. He did not have his best game against Minnesota, giving up a couple of goals that should have been stopped. He also did make a number of very good saves. The defense was also a bit suspect in that game, getting beat too many times where it looked like we were playing the puck instead of taking the body. If we don't do a better job than we better get 5 or 6 goals cause we are gonna need them to win. This is playoff time, and to run the table we are going to need good defense and gaoltending while taking advantage of offensive opportunities. In the 2004-2005 season we played good defensively but couldn't get a goal and got beat in the regional championship against an inferior Denver team 1-0. Last year we broke down defensively and lost 6-5 to BC, the only time in something like the last 40 games played where we scored 4 or more and lost.

I'm not real comfortable with the defensive aspect of our game. We have a lot of offensively skilled defensemen but IMO not enough of the physical, in-your-face, better-keep-your-head-up-or-it-will-get-taken-off defensemen.

To win #8 we need to string together our best four defensive efforts of the season. If we do that we can all see banner #8 being displayed at REA in a little over 6 months.

Go SIOUX!!!

Here are a few You Tube clips of Michigan hockey I found from this year....just so you can get a taste of how they look. Some is obviously against weak opposition, like the coast-to-coast Jack Johnson goal.

Jack Johnson coast-to-coast

Jack Mutha F'ing Johnson <---Pretty good! Haha

FSN Jack Johnson feature

Johnson Nearly decapitates BC goalie!

Skille (Wis) scoring on Sauer)

Hensick making Elliot look bad

Another against Wisconsin

Sick Hensick pass to make Elliot look bad again

Terrible defensive effort by the Wolverines

MSU tying up the game with 1.3 left against Mich

No relevance, just a sweet fight! Haha

Pretty much every decent and recent highlight I could find was of either JMFJ, them playing Wisconsin, or them playing MSU....but it's something to chew on. If someone has better results with their searches, post what you find, I'd like to see some footage of these guys.

While the focus of this game (and all Sioux games lately) has been "Can teamx stop the DOT line" my concern is more with the UND defense and goaltending. If the Sioux are to get #8 this year, there is a good chance that there will be a game where the DOT line is held in check (or runs into a hot goalie). The other lines need to continue their strong play and chip in a few goals each game.

Michigan is the highest scoring team in hockey. Can the Sioux hold down the Michigan offense ? While Phillipe has play very well the 2nd half of the season, he has not yet be tested in NCAA tourney play in a one and done situation. He did not have his best game against Minnesota, giving up a couple of goals that should have been stopped. He also did make a number of very good saves. The defense was also a bit suspect in that game, getting beat too many times where it looked like we were playing the puck instead of taking the body. If we don't do a better job than we better get 5 or 6 goals cause we are gonna need them to win. This is playoff time, and to run the table we are going to need good defense and gaoltending while taking advantage of offensive opportunities. In the 2004-2005 season we played good defensively but couldn't get a goal and got beat in the regional championship against an inferior Denver team 1-0. Last year we broke down defensively and lost 6-5 to BC, the only time in something like the last 40 games played where we scored 4 or more and lost.

I'm not real comfortable with the defensive aspect of our game. We have a lot of offensively skilled defensemen but IMO not enough of the physical, in-your-face, better-keep-your-head-up-or-it-will-get-taken-off defensemen.

To win #8 we need to string together our best four defensive efforts of the season. If we do that we can all see banner #8 being displayed at REA in a little over 6 months.

Go SIOUX!!!

After watching the Michigan clips on you tube, I would have to agree. This is not the Michigan we saw last year. WOW!!

P.S. We can beat them, we can beat anyone! GO SIOUX!!

Here are a couple useless facts I dug up for this series while watching Galapagos last night (great show on Nat'l Geographic Channel by the way, haha. They are out of the ordinary and hopefully are seen as more of a joke....maybe not.

Altitude

Michigan average altitude played at: 793'

Sioux average altitude played at: 1304'

Michigan home ice altitude: 837'

Sioux home ice altitude: 843'

Pepsi Center altitude: 5435' (Sioux played 4 games at or near this altitude, Michigan 0)

ADVANTAGE: SIOUX

Large Crowd Attendance games (14,000 in attendance or more)

Michigan record: 1-2-1

Sioux record: 2-2-0

PEPSI Center Hold 18,000 for hockey

Neutral Ice Records

Michigan record: 3-2-1

Sioux record: 3-1-0

PEPSI Center will have more fans than Michigan to go along with the better record

Common Opponents This Season

Michigan record: 2-1-0

Sioux record: 2-1-0

ADVANTAGE: PUSH

So, it looks like Sioux have somewhat of an advantage despite the players and recent play.

Put me in the scared category. I don't know how much you can tell by watching some videos. They will be ready to play, they have at least ... what 3 # 1 draft picks, have a line that rivals the DOT line and THEY have the better D if you ask me.

This would be the toughest draw to the Title if they make it.

Yup...too much talk going on on the forum right now. The WCHA is over, and we are moving on to the big time! Goofers who? There should be little to no talk about them. The only thing in the heads of players and fans should be all, 100%, on michigan. I am far from comfortable with this matchup. If I know the team who swept the goofers is out on the ice then I have not a worry in the world, but we wont know this for a few days yet :silly:

However I do feel the sioux will be hungry to play and I cant wait! I bet the team would play today if they could! I just hope we get the quick goals in the remaining game/games of the year. It drives me crazy when we cant get a goal in the first period, or two, in a hockey game.

Anyways.. GO SIOUX! and let this week fly by! please!

This is of course secondary to team goals, but the leading Hobey candidates will be playing. Duncan can win himself a Hobey by out playing Hensick. I think the top 3 to win are Duncan, Hensick, NDs overrated goalie. I think the Sioux may wear down Michigan.

U-M draws matchup with North Dakota

Miami (Ohio), which faces St. Cloud State in the East Regional, gives the CCHA four teams in the tournament for the fourth time in its history. Hockey East has five and the WCHA just three.

"It's a good statement for our league,'' Berenson said. "We've had to listen to all of the propaganda about the WCHA being the strongest league. They had five teams in last year, but the year before we had five teams.

"But your teams have to advance, and that's the one weakness our conference has shown in the last 10 years.''

Does Red even think before he speaks. He talks about the propaganda of the WCHA being the strongest league, then says the CCHA teams aren't winning in the NCAA tourney. Hmmm, maybe the CCHA is getting too many undeserved tourney entries ?

Ya, our conference is great we just have one small problem with winning games come tourney time. :silly:

I have a great deal of respect for Michigan and their hockey program but not much for the rest of the CCHA. I think Notre Dame is overated, Michigan State has little chance, and Miami should probably not be in the tourney. I would much rather face Michigan State or Miami rather then Wisconsin. We'll see how good Notre Dame is, the way the brackets are set up I'm not sure the Irish AD could have done a better job in setting things up for them to make the FF championship.

If you look at the top 8 in KRACH and separate the teams by brackets to meet in the championship you get:

Midwest/East: Notre Dame (#2), St.Cloud (#3), Clarkson (#7)

West/Northeast: Minnesota (#1), BC (#4), NH (#5), UND (#6), Michigan (#8)

Of these teams. all the NCAA tourney experience is in one bracket. St. Cloud has never won even once, not sure if Notre Dame has either. Clarkson has but they are not what I would call a threat to win the tourney, maybe with this bracket set up they are.

The Denver site is great for the Sioux. There will be a ton of Sioux fans there supporting the team. It won't be quite the home ice advantage of last year, but will be very loud for the Sioux! If I remember correctly, the Sioux fans outcheered the DU fans earlier this year. The real season starts on Saturday. GO SIOUX!

I think Magnus arena is a little smaller than the Pepsi Center just by a 10,000 seats or so?:silly:? :angry: it will be really quiet trust me!!!!!

I think Magnus arena is a little smaller than the Pepsi Center just by a 10,000 seats or so?:silly:? :angry: it will be really quiet trust me!!!!!

obviously this person thought it was at DU arena not pepsi center, will be a great weekend!!