SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament round 1: UND vs. Michigan

jimdahl

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drove my 7 year old daughter to her youth group at church. Our converstaion on the way went something like this:

Daughter: "Daddy, who's better the Sioux or Michigan?"

Me: "Well, I think the Sioux have the better team, but (TEACHING MOMENT) the best teams don't always win."

Daughter: "Who do YOU think will win?"

Me: "The Sioux!"

Daughter (without hesitation): "Well if LAMMY plays good, The Sioux will win no problem." :lol:

You can analyze these two teams up and down and know the facts/stats like Tom Cruise knows psychiatry :angry: , but it will probably come down to Lammy. No cheap ones and it's on to Sunday...

There's a lot of speculation, but according to THE reliable source, as of now the television coverage is not finalized other than on tape delay. Have faith, it will be on...I am stuck in mpls and a bit more concerned>

Interesting thought on college hockey. If you play a totally defensive system, looking for an occasional turnover goal, but focusing on winning the special teams battle, can you recruit the top players?

Wisconsin wins like this, but other than Legacies and local kids, do they ever score the big coup recruit anymore? Maybe an occasional one who likes to party and thinks Madison sounds like fun? Comments?

There's a lot of speculation, but according to THE reliable source, as of now the television coverage is not finalized other than on tape delay. Have faith, it will be on...I am stuck in mpls and a bit more concerned>

Interesting thought on college hockey. If you play a totally defensive system, looking for an occasional turnover goal, but focusing on winning the special teams battle, can you recruit the top players?

Wisconsin wins like this, but other than Legacies and local kids, do they ever score the big coup recruit anymore? Maybe an occasional one who likes to party and thinks Madison sounds like fun? Comments?

Kyle Turris of the BCHL.

Hakstol said yesterday during the weekly media briefing that the Sioux wouldn't change anything about the way they've been playing. He thinks it's too late in the season for that. He's confident that if the Sioux play smart and play their game, it's the opposition that will need to make adjustments to our game.

The key is obviously to play our game then opposition adjustments won't matter. Sauer is highly unlikely to stand on his head and beat us but Michigan has scoring depth on their lines moreso than we do. If we do not take pressure off of the DOT line by getting goals from our 2nd-4th lines, we're beat. (We roll when they score, simple as that) PL will give up a couple soft goals in this game but they will happen because of Mich pressure. Defense needs to play smart. I also think that if we have PP advantage in this game, we have a good shot at knocking them off. Mich is not as effective as ND on special teams.

Siouxnami can address this, but Wisconsin had an excellent recruiting year with Kyle Turris (a Jonathan Toews type player) and the entire line from Shattuck, including Brady Murray's little brother. The style may be boring, but Wisconsin has a long history of success and sending players to the pros, and Madison is a great town with a beautiful campus. As much as I would like every kid to come to UND, Wisconsin is a top program and is going to win some recruiting battles with Minnesota, UND, Michigan, Denver, BC and the other top programs.

Siouxnami can address this, but Wisconsin had an excellent recruiting year with Kyle Turris (a Jonathan Toews type player) and the entire line from Shattuck, including Brady Murray's little brother. The style may be boring, but Wisconsin has a long history of success and sending players to the pros, and Madison is a great town with a beautiful campus. As much as I would like every kid to come to UND, Wisconsin is a top program and is going to win some recruiting battles with Minnesota, UND, Michigan, Denver, BC and the other top programs.

McDonagh isn't bad either.

You can analyze these two teams up and down and know the facts/stats like Tom Cruise knows psychiatry huh.gif , but it will probably come down to Lammy. No cheap ones and it's on to Sunday...

This & penalties & a few goals from all lines wouldn't hurt either :angry:

Lammy played about as good as you can at the FF

Minus the 5-hole goal in the gopher game... I'm sorry, but that was weak, no question about it. Other than that he did play extremely well. He made other saves he shouldn't have made, but you stop the gimmies...

I know this is pretty obscure but does anyone know if the rink at the Pepsi Center will be configured "NCAA/room behind the net" style vs. "NHL/smaller neutral zone-less room behind the net?

I know it is subtle but it could effect play, especially power plays - at the X/F5, there was more room for the D to move on the PP - it also could effect how teams cycle/forecheck.

Minus the 5-hole goal in the gopher game... I'm sorry, but that was weak, no question about it. Other than that he did play extremely well. He made other saves he shouldn't have made, but you stop the gimmies...

are you talking the last goal ?

I never did get to see a replay of it - does anyone have it ? - But wheeler dealer could never make that shot again if he tried 1000 times - it was a fluke - a falling down (maybe sliding on the ice) chip at the puck, at a bad angle, that more than likely fluttered or curved some what to get in - I know Lammy is weak high glove side at times - But I can't blame him on that one - I was there - Granted up in the nose bleed section.

& like you said he made some unreal saves & he did, many point blank shots - were lucky that we were in the game to go to OT

I never did get to see a replay of it - does anyone have it ? - But wheeler dealer could never make that shot again if he tried 1000 times - it was a fluke - a falling down (maybe sliding on the ice) chip at the puck, at a bad angle, that more than likely fluttered or curved some what to get in - I know Lammy is weak high glove side at times - But I can't blame him on that one - I was there - Granted up in the nose bleed section.

& like you said he made some unreal saves & he did, many point blank shots - were lucky that we were in the game to go to OT

I think he is refering to the Johnson goal

I was on Lammy's stick side, and didnt see replays (couldnt watch) but I didnt think the last goal was a 5-hole. Thought it went just past his glove.

He's talking the first goal. It was a 5 hole. Lammy just didn't have the holes all closed up.

I agree, Lammy did play well overall last weekend. But my point was U-M will probably score a couple of goals and there is a difference in a couple of goals vs. a couple of goals + a soft one or two...

wasn't the last one I was talking about, I think it may have been that first one, can't remember which, but where the guy shot from about middle of the circle and looked like he was just trying throw the puck at the net, but it found a hole.

The key is obviously to play our game then opposition adjustments won't matter. Sauer is highly unlikely to stand on his head and beat us but Michigan has scoring depth on their lines moreso than we do. If we do not take pressure off of the DOT line by getting goals from our 2nd-4th lines, we're beat. (We roll when they score, simple as that) PL will give up a couple soft goals in this game but they will happen because of Mich pressure. Defense needs to play smart. I also think that if we have PP advantage in this game, we have a good shot at knocking them off. Mich is not as effective as ND on special teams.

You are very wise. That's pretty much exactly how I see this game. NHL ice and last change, Make this a much closer game than it would be at say a World Arena or some place with Olympic ice. I think the Sioux might be the best team in the country on Olympic ice, When the DOT line has time a space to be dangerous. That said, Michigan is not a team I would want to play on NHL ice as a skating team, Which I believe the Sioux are even more so than the Gophers. The longer this game is scoreless or low scoring, The better chance Michigan has of winning (that goes for AFA as well).

wasn't the last one I was talking about, I think it may have been that first one, can't remember which, but where the guy shot from about middle of the circle and looked like he was just trying throw the puck at the net, but it found a hole.

I don't think it was the first one cause if I remember that one correctly it slid directly inbetween his legs. Cause that was the one where I yelled at him that even a hooker closes her legs every once in awhile. :glare: