SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Wants Documents Sealed

GeauxSioux

I hope the Forum would appeal this soon. If not them, then perhaps one of the media trade organizations.

I see no reason for a blanket order, regardless of how close the sides are/were to settling. UND and the NC$$, to a lesser degree, are public entities. From my perspective, I think the NC$$ has the most to lose if/when the seal is lifted. I also think the NC$$'s feeble attempt to interject UND's relationships with the various tribes speaks volumes about its confidence in its own positions.

Is it possible that Janke is letting the NCAA save some face before they lose this lawsuit? The reason I say this, there has to be some really damaging things out there by the NCAA that they are hoping doesn't get released. It would appear that UND is going to win this. I heard the whole membership vote subject come up again. Hummmm....

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the NCAA was about to settle but something made them change their mind which i agree with you, it sounds like the PC Police had talked the NCAA into pulling away from the decision. This whole thing is just a mess, i mean what the hell did UND do to the NCAA. We are a quiet college very low key no violations no sanctions against us I mean leave us alone. :)

Its the REA and the whole nick name thing, possibly Ralph's caviler attitude towards the P.C. crowd. I would be willing to bet this is fueling Brand's hatred towards UND.

Judge errs in sealing Sioux files

By most accounts, District Court Judge Lawrence Jahnke of Grand Forks, N.D., is a competent, experienced jurist. But that doesn’t mean he’s infallible. Indeed, his latest ruling demonstrates he can be quite wrong.

His decision Monday to keep sealed certain court records in the University of North Dakota’s fight with the NCAA over UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname and logo was, to put it kindly, peculiar. He said media attention to the divisive debate over the logo negatively affected the litigation, which, he said, scuttled a chance at a settlement. He further reasoned (?) that the media should be focusing on UND programs for American Indians, rather than covering the conflicts over the Sioux logo.

With all respect, his honor is talking oranges and apples.

First they point out that he is wrong and then they go out and try to dig up some dirt on Judge Jahnke.

Judge’s Sioux ties run deep

The judge in the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux nickname lawsuit belonged to a UND student group that wore a cartoon American Indian mascot on its jackets and helped to outfit cheerleaders in stereotypical Indian garb.

Judge Lawrence Jahnke was a member in the early 1960s of UND’s Golden Feather pep club, a group limited to 30 male members each year, UND yearbooks show.

The group, founded in 1956, is credited with creating “Sammy the Sioux,” a cartoonish mascot that was discontinued in the early 1970s, according to UND archives.

I wonder what would have been printed had Judge Jahnke opened the records.

It should be noted that this story was on the front page of the Forum today, above the fold. I'd guess Forum Comm. Co. decided to give Jahnke a big FU after Monday's ruling.

Not surprising. Rather than appealing the decision, or using other methods within the judicial process, the Fraud once again shows its "yellow journalism" credentials. And since the "reporter" is Amy Dalrymple, I can't say I'm surprised. :)

Jahnke wrote, in a three-page memo denying the motion, the two sides had appeared to be close to resolving their differences following a July 13 meeting.

"However, between July 13 and August 19, a number of media articles appeared, both in North Dakota and elsewhere, which continued to focus upon divisiveness of the litigation, both on the UND campus and within the Native American communities," Jahnke said.

"The net result of the continuing regurgitation of this divisiveness was that just days before Aug. 19, one of the parties withdrew from its earlier indication to settle."

(I changed the emphasis from the original in order to focus on the dates.)

I quickly reviewed the posts containing the news articles, and I can't find any significant articles published between those two dates. I'd say the recent discussion of exactly what the "Veteran's Committee" said was the closest thing to a divisive series of articles, and that seemed to occur over Labor Day AFAIK.

Does anyone have an idea as to which articles/controversy the judge is thinking about?

From today's Forum editorial:

Frankly, most members of the North Dakota media would not object if the logo debate and court case went away. It requires considerable newsroom resources that would be deployed elsewhere if the story were not so important.

These two sentences amaze me. I agree with the editorial's basic premise that it's not Jahnke's responsibility to decide when and how the media covers the lawsuit. However, brazenly admitting a vested interest in the outcome of the case and nickname issue is like hanging a huge banner in on the front of the Forum building that says:

WE'RE BIASED!

The Forum then proceeds to prove Jahnke's point about the media's attempted manipulation of events by running a front-page hit piece on him! Folks, it doesn't get any nuttier than this. :)

First they point out that he is wrong and then they go out and try to dig up some dirt on Judge Jahnke

The Forum then proceeds to prove Jahnke's point about the media's attempted manipulation of events by running a front-page hit piece on him!

Am I the only one that doesn't consider Jahnke's involvement in the Golden Feather club a big deal? My response was "so what".

Thoughts?

Since you asked...

So most of you probably already know that UND has sued the NCAA to keep the nickname & logo.

The NCAA says UND can use its current name and logo. It just can't use them at NCAA-sponsored events and UND can't host any NCAA playoff games as long as it continues to use the nickname and logo.

The NCAA continues to object to our "mascot and logo". They apparently are unaware that we do not have a mascot, and the logo was designed by an American Indian.

Officially, the NCAA recognizes that UND has no mascot. It has also acknowledged that the logo was designed by an American Indian artist.

Some may also attack the "Sioux" aspect of the nickname as it translates to "Snake". Many view Sioux to be a derogatory name that was originally used by white settlers.

The Chippewa (Ojibwe) tribes -- enemies of Dakota, Lakota and Nakota tribes -- used the term "Sioux" to collectively describe the members of those three tribes. While it was probably intended to be a derogatory name, Siouan language scholars differ about the origins and meaning of the word.

The nickname hasn't changed, so why is it all-of-a-sudden a problem now?

It's been an issue at UND for at least 30 years.

From today's Forum editorial:

Whoa. "If the story were not so important...."

Isn't it the job of the newsroom to report on the most important stories of the day? If this issue is more important than other issues, then it SHOULD get covered. If this issue ISN'T as important, then it should be superceded by other stories.

I don't understand what they are complaining about. They straight out admit that this story is important enough to be covered, and complain about not being able to cover other, what...less important issues?

I don't understand what they are complaining about. They straight out admit that this story is important enough to be covered, and complain about not being able to cover other, what...less important issues?

One of the most common reasons for changing the name that I hear on campus is: "We're tired of talking about it."

The Forum has a new variation on the theme: "We're tired of reporting on it." :crazy:

Now this is funny, I don't care who ya are .... ;)

(Forum Communications CEO) Bill Marcil said Wednesday that he also was a member of the Golden Feather pep club, though several years earlier than his brother or Judge Jahnke.

Gotta love a good boomerang. Sure hope the Forum writer and editor enjoy their next personnel reviews. ;):huh:

He (Marcil) declined to comment further because of the ongoing Forum Communications involvement in the nickname trial.

Involvement? I thought newspapers reported on the news, not are "involved" in it. :crazy:

Gee, could His Honor, Judge Jahnke, be riled up about the media trying to affect the outcome instead of just reporting it?

Oh, that's right, the media never has its own agenda .... :huh:

Source:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage

This is the type of information the nickname opponents crave so they can claim the court ruling is not legitimate when it comes out in UND's favor.

You can expect a motion by the NCAA to remove Judge Jahnke coming soon. The Judge won't remove himself, but it will be one more issue for the NCAA to appeal.

Gotta love the Judge's comment on the club which he belonged to over 45 years ago. So in the year 2052 if someone should discover that I was a member of the antique car club in St.Cloud would that label me as someone not suitable to be on the Clean Air Cmmt. in congress? :crazy: I guess we all better be careful of what we attend these days. I personally wish the papers wouldn't report on any of this and let the courts , lawyers, and judge do their job. When it's all said and done the name will stay the same. GO SIOUX!

Higher ed board to discuss UND nickname lawsuit settlement

A possible settlement of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux nickname lawsuit will be discussed Friday in Grand Forks.

The state Board of Higher Education plans to meet in executive session with North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem at 8 a.m. Friday at the Alerus Center.

Amy Dalrymple Archive

Following the session, the Board will convene in a public meeting to act on a recommendation to settle the lawsuit with the NCAA, according to the board's meeting agenda.

I would hope that any thing less than keeping the name means the no settlement and the lawsuit continues.

Whoa. "If the story were not so important...."

Exactly. The story IS important: and judgements about exactly what is and is not important are made by the public, not the editors of newspapers nor any other media outlet. Any editor or newspaper is free to ignore the story and either reap the benefit of redeploying scarce resources or potentially incur the costs of lost readership/circulation/advertising. But complaining about how your readers are making you cover a story isn't very bright. Do not complain about stories "not going away" because stories are the only reason you're in business. When stories go away, so does your raison d'etre.

Frankly, Illinois seemed to run into the "gee I wish we could stop talking about this" people too. And of course, the way to stop talking about it was to cave to the NCAA. :crazy: I think you'll see this attitude mostly from younger people (at least that was my experience) and IMHO its not a good sign. This is when the administration starts making cold, hard decisions about how much they need the older alums and their dollars. Good luck with that. Make your voices (and $$) heard!!

This is the type of information the nickname opponents crave so they can claim the court ruling is not legitimate when it comes out in UND's favor.

You can expect a motion by the NCAA to remove Judge Jahnke coming soon. The Judge won't remove himself, but it will be one more issue for the NCAA to appeal.

Its JMHO, but the info about a 40-year old club membership would have come out sooner or later. I agree with those who think it will become fodder for an appeal, but OTOH I also have to believe that such an appeal won't go very far.

Finally, an editorial today about our homecoming parade:

UI campus becomes a no-free-speech zone

There are no prohibitions against political candidates or statements about issues, nothing to prevent students from endorsing abortion, the war in Iraq or the Ku Klux Klan. But there is a rule barring any references to the Chief, including "T-shirts, official and unofficial Chief symbols, pomming of the Chief symbol on float, costumes and/or signs."

The ban highlights the university's hypocrisy in the ongoing Chief debate.

PS: don't ask me what "pomming" means.

PS: don't ask me what "pomming" means.

As a former homecoming float builder assistant, I happen to know what pomming means. :crazy:

Floats were/are made of various materials including paper puffy things called poms. Different colored poms and chicken wire are/were used to make images, etc. on floats.