SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Wants Documents Sealed

GeauxSioux

I agree with you, but would also like to mention for those who don't read the article or can't read the entire thing that the actual discussion will take place in closed meeting so no public. The decision will be made in open meeting, but the board's discussion will take place behind closed doors.

Exactly, I only used a small portion of the article that Goon posted in his original comment.

Just trying to keep it as succinct and on-point as possible! :lol:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former homecoming float builder assistant, I happen to know what pomming means.
:lol:

Floats were/are made of various materials including paper puffy things called poms. Different colored poms and chicken wire are/were used to make images, etc. on floats.

Hee hee-newspaper posts an editorial on Thursday morning, and suddenly our chancellor has a change of heart. This is all done by 2:30 Thursday afternoon.

UI's homecoming parade policy on Chief overturned

Fans of Chief Illiniwek can show their support for the retired symbol at the University of Illinois homecoming parade after all.

A new university policy that initially prohibited the use of Chief Illiniwek images on parade floats has been overturned.

Here's the link to a blog from the same newspaper, posted at 2:30.

UI reverses field on 'Chief' ban

Finally, someone over there woke up and squared all the talk about free speech with the asinine rules that were being applied to Homecoming floats in tomorrow night's parade.

:lol::D:lol:

How much do you want to bet that the Attorney General sees to it that they stay sealed?

How much can you afford? The court file has probably already been unsealed.

Anyone thinking there's going to be some smoking gun in the court file will be disappointed. Any "dirt" on the NCAA would have been obtained through discovery, most likely through depositions. Parties do not file discovery responses or deposition transcripts with the court. Perhaps you could get them through an open records request (I'm not faimilar with that law), but I'll doubt you'll find anything interesting in the court file.

• 4 weeks later...

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press news release:

North Dakota should require proper findings by judges before sealing court records

Court records should not be sealed unless a judge makes specific findings of fact, as required by the U.S. Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of North Dakota, The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press argued today.

In a friend-of-the-court brief to the North Dakota Supreme Court, the Reporters Committee urged the court to issue a directive requiring lower courts in the state to follow specific procedures set forth both in case law and in the court's own rules before sealing records. The closure issue arose in a lawsuit brought by the National Collegiate Athletics Association against the University of North Dakota alleging the school's "Sioux" logo is racially insensitive and demanding it stop using the name and Indian image in association with the school's athletic teams.

Here's an even better idea: Reporters should get the basic facts of the story straight, such as who sued who for what reason. ???:silly:

Another gem from the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press news release:

The settlement with the NCAA apparently requires the university to stop using the Sioux image and name in association with its athletic teams if it does not get approval from the state's Sioux tribes within three years.

Apparently? :silly:

Apparently it's too much trouble to actually read the settlement or even find out what the lawsuit was about and who filed it. ???

That being said, it is curious that Jahnke has kept the records sealed even after the case has been settled.

Is Nick Coleman president of the RCFP, or perhaps chairs the Sub-Committee on Accuracy and Research? Or, maybe this reporter was involved...

gr-rr.jpg

"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something."

I loved Rosanna Anna Danna!!! Maybe it's because my hair looks like her's when it's humid outside........ ???

Another gem from the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press news release:

Apparently? :D

Apparently it's too much trouble to actually read the settlement or even find out what the lawsuit was about and who filed it. :lol:

That being said, it is curious that Jahnke has kept the records sealed even after the case has been settled.

Can they do that legally under the FOIA? Seems to me the Court is hiding something. Hummmmmm