SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Wants Documents Sealed

GeauxSioux

NCAA wants sealed court documents

The NCAA will ask a Grand Forks Circuit Court judge on Wednesday to shield documents from public view in its court case against UND over the Fighting Sioux nickname.

"I don't think the court has the authority to make that information not publicly available," Stenehjem said. "Also, I think it's bad public policy. A large part of our complaint has to do with the fact that most of what the NCAA did is not transparent. Now, (as if) to further demonstrate my belief, they've asked us to enter into a broad confidentiality agreement."

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NCAA will ask a Grand Forks Circuit Court judge on Wednesday to shield documents from public view in its court case against UND over the Fighting Sioux nickname.

This is an interesting development. Why wouldn't the NCAA want the public to know about its policy-making discussions? What does it have to hide? It's not as if there are trade secrets or proprietary information involved. If everything was properly done, why the need for secrecy? It'll be interesting to see how the intrepid defenders of the public's right to know will react to this news.

Why wouldn't the NCAA want the public to know about its policy-making discussions? What does it have to hide?

This has got to be great news for UND: the NCAA is fearful of a public relations problem. For the NCAA to implement this nickname policy, there had to be obtuse and twisted logic and possibly personal agendas that would be evident in the NCAA documents. Public exposure of the process could damage the NCAA's reputation and harm the careerism within its ranks. The NCAA may also want to shield itself from the wrath of Florida State and its high level political supporters, if more specific insights into NCAA's agenda are released.

NCAA wants sealed court documents

Does anyone else think this headline is extremely misleading? When I read it on front of this morning's Herald, I immediately wondered what sealed documents the NCAA wanted. Then I read the story and learned it's the NCAA that wants to seal some of its documents. The headline is accurate, but any headline that can be read two different ways to have opposite meanings is a poorly written headline.

Does anyone else think this headline is extremely misleading? When I read it on front of this morning's Herald, I immediately wondered what sealed documents the NCAA wanted. Then I read the story and learned it's the NCAA that wants to seal some of its documents. The headline is accurate, but any headline that can be read two different ways to have opposite meanings is a poorly written headline.

I thought the same thing. The word "sealed" should be at the end.

This is an interesting development. Why wouldn't the NCAA want the public to know about its policy-making discussions? What does it have to hide? It's not as if there are trade secrets or proprietary information involved. If everything was properly done, why the need for secrecy? It'll be interesting to see how the intrepid defenders of the public's right to know will react to this news.

Hum, I really think of this as the NCAA case is weak and it wants to protect its self image in the public's eye. The AG is right, I don't think its legal in ND to seal documents because it is an open forum. I believe it is against the law.

Gee, Myles, what do you need sealed? Or is it in the nation's best interest that your tactics aren't revealed to the public? Inquiring minds want to know! Perhaps it's a "clear and present danger" and should not be revealed!

It sounds like a cover up. I bet the NCAA gets slapped down by the judge.

Does anyone else think this headline is extremely misleading?

PCM,

The price of Saturday's paper is $1.00 and the story is on the front page hmmm... ;)

UND --> Hostile, Abusive and as we found out at the U of M, NCAA and now the GF Herald PROFITABLE. ???;)

Go Fighting Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wouldn't the NCAA want the public to know about its policy-making discussions?

Because the public would be taken aback by the tactics and methods used.

What does it have to hide?

Apparently something that it doesn't want the public at large, the people who give them entertainment dollars, to know.

If everything was properly done, why the need for secrecy?

I assume that's rhetorical. :lol:

It'll be interesting to see how the intrepid defenders of the public's right to know will react to this news.

It used to be: All the news that's fit to print.

Now it's: All the news that fits (their agenda), they'll print.

I heard the Ralph is in negotiations with PCM...saturday nights 2nd intermission entertainment. :lol:

Umm...no. They'd prefer to have people stay in their seats. ;)

I just write 'em. I don't perform 'em. ;)

Back to the subject at hand:

Think the NCAA realizes that by taking this "Seal them! Please!" approach they are just causing people to speculate what's really in there?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but let's say the NCAA really wants to keep these records sealed, and furthermore, the odds of Judge Jahnke allowing that are probably slim. Could there be a school of thought within the NCAA that says it essentially already got what it was after--most of the schools on the hit list "volunatarily" agreeing to change their names? In other words, would simply dropping enforcement of its policy as to the relatively few remaining schools on the list be more palatable to them than risking major embarrassment if these records are unsealed? A settlement on terms very favorable to UND may be becoming more and more likely.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but let's say the NCAA really wants to keep these records sealed, and furthermore, the odds of Judge Jahnke allowing that are probably slim. Could there be a school of thought within the NCAA that says it essentially already got what it was after--most of the schools on the hit list "volunatarily" agreeing to change their names? In other words, would simply dropping enforcement of its policy as to the relatively few remaining schools on the list be more palatable to them than risking major embarrassment if these records are unsealed? A settlement on terms very favorable to UND may be becoming more and more likely.

I don't like that speculating (although I agree with the thought process). ;)

I'd rather speculate about what embarrassing things may be in those documents. :lol:

That thought crossed my mind, too. Just how badly does the NCAA want these documents kept from public view? And exactly who is it that the NCAA is afraid of seeing them?

Just how badly does the NCAA want these documents kept from public view?

The polite word for that is "negotiations." :lol:

And exactly who is it that the NCAA is afraid of seeing them?

My guess: Every member school that hasn't been paying attention to how the Executive Committee has operated up to this point.

It could be that these documents make the Executive Committee and its decision making process look pretty bad. Or it could be that discovery disputes such as these are the things lawyers typically fight about when there is an abundance of litigation money. I wouldn't get too excited about this development quite yet.

The big question for me is why the motion papers aren't available on the AG's website.