SiouxSports.com Forum

Wcha First Round Playoffs

farce poobah

Now that things are finally set, and it went to the last game before 6 teams knew who they were playing:

#10 UAA at #1 CC

#9 MI Tech at #2 MN (gophers win tie-break with Mavericks)

#8 WI at #3 MSU-Mankato

#7 Denver at #4 UND

#6 St Cloud at #5 UMD

=======================

Predictions?

=======================

GO SIOUX!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that things are finally set, and it went to the last game before 6 teams knew who they were playing:

#10 UAA at #1 CC

#8 WI at #3 MSU-Mankato

#7 Denver at #4 UND

#6 St Cloud at #5 UMD

=======================

Predictions?

=======================

GO SIOUX!!!!

#10 UAA at #1 CC cc sweep

#9 MI Tech at #2 MN (gophers win tie-break with Mavericks) MN sweep

#8 WI at #3 MSU-Mankato mankato 2 and1

#7 Denver at #4 UND UND sweep

#6 St Cloud at #5 UMD upset special-scsu over umd

I don't know HOW you get tickets ... check the REA website, call the REA, or i bet ticketmaster will have.

Playoffs are part of the season ticket package, so the Sioux start with a mostly-sold house, but with students on break I bet there will indeed be tickets available.

Denver .... REVENGE!!!!

#10 UAA at #1 CC

#8 WI at #3 MSU-Mankato

#7 Denver at #4 UND

#6 St Cloud at #5 UMD

=======================

Predictions?

=======================

GO SIOUX!!!!

CC in 2

Mn. in 2

Mankato in 3

Sioux in 3

SCCC in 3

Call me nuts, but I'm glad that the Sioux will be facing Denver next week. If they're going to go to the WCHA Final Five, I'd rather send them into the tournament with the confidence of having beat a team that played them tough and that has a good goalie combo. The Sioux already know they can beat SCSU. Knocking off Denver will add to the momentum of sweeping Wisconsin.

Now if Dubielewicz and/or Berkhoel get hot or the officials allow the DU tackling drill to continue, I might regret my statement. But right now, I'm glad the Sioux will face the Pioneers.

Call ME nuts, but if methinks the Sioux RPI and PWR will be helped by playing Denver, whose RPI is still way up there - #15.

For all intents and purposes, this is an NCAA playin series. Loser is probably out. Winner is most likely in.

====================

Predictions: CC, MN and UND in 2. MSU-M and UMD in 3.

P.S. Final WCHA stats show Jake Brandt with the #2 GA in the conference. Hmmm...

P.S. Final WCHA stats show Jake Brandt with the #2 GA in the conference. Hmmm...

Believe it or not UND goals against is 4th in the league overall, middle of the road, I believe that our goals against is like maybe one or two goals behind the Dirty Gophers. That is puzzling since I remember some Gopher fans lecturing me on how much better their goaltending was.

That is puzzling since I remember some Gopher fans lecturing me on how much better their goaltending was.

And we remember how some Sioux fans said our defense was skilled but not "very good" defensively.

Maybe that says that goalies can be bad but defensemen can make them look better and sometimes defenses may not be as good but their goalies can make them look better. ??????

#10 UAA at #1 CC

#8 WI at #3 MSU-Mankato

#7 Denver at #4 UND

#6 St Cloud at #5 UMD

=======================

Predictions?

=======================

GO SIOUX!!!!

CC in 2

MN in 2

MSUM in 2

UND in 3

St Cloud in 3

There shouldn't be any surprises this coming weekend.

UND in 3

CC in 2

MN in 2

Mankato in 2

Duluth in 3

A Duluth win and one upset (other than Denver of course) would be great, and would keep the Sioux out of the Final Five play-in game. I don't know if UND can play the play-in game at 8:00, win, and do it again the next day at 3:00.

Hopefully the Sioux will be headed to Providence or Worcester, so the east coast Sioux fans can cheer them on. I saw them at Yale early in the year, and there was a pretty good turnout.

The slide is over. The bounces are going our way. Parise is scoring again. My lucky frog will be at the games. Unquestionably, the Sioux in two.

CC over Anchorage, in two.

Gophers over Tech, in two.

Here's the upsets: Wisconsin over Mankato, in 3 and St. Cloud over Duluth, in two.

Saturday's game vs UW:

Saw this one, too. UND again looked confident and moved the puck very well. There were a few times they got trapped in their defensive zone, but very rarely, and not for long. Wisconsin had only 3 or 4 good chances to score, just like Friday. On the other end, UND had at least a dozen good scoring chances, 5 of which became goals.

It was very good to see UND break out of the scoring slump with back-to-back 5 goal games. If they can put up those numbers against Denver, they will win. Of course, DU has great goaltending.

So...can a team with only 5 upperclassmen playing regularly make a run in the playoffs? That would be impressive, with excellent implications for the future. We shall see how things go this weekend.

Goon, I don't think that is terribly far fetched. Before you think I have gone crazy, though, I want to be clear that I expect a gopher sweep.

That said, of the bottom 3 teams, Tech has proven to be the one team that repeatedly seems to have taken a top team to task this year at some point. I think they are capable of winning one. But I'm not sure it's going to happen.

So...can a team with only 5 upperclassmen playing regularly make a run in the playoffs? That would be impressive, with excellent implications for the future. We shall see how things go this weekend.

Yes, they can.

I don't know that they will, though. Too much stuff has happened late this year to be too confident of that.

It was great to see the sweep of WI this weekend, and very encouraging that these weren't 2-1 games or anything like that. But let's be honest, we're talking WI here, not Duluth or even SCSU. This was expected and the only reason we (I) were holding our breath was because of how the last 1.5 months have gone.

Sorry, WI, but at this point I'm just not giving you much respect. Therefore, I think the only thing the Sioux have proven is that they are still playing decent hockey.

That is a good thing.

I agree 100% with what Dagies has said. Let's face it, it was great to take care of business and get the 4 points out of the Wisconsin series, but Wisconsin is a BAD team. That being said Denver is a tough first round opponent and will prove to be a good test for the Sioux to see if they are playoff ready and can put some of the disappointment of the past month+ to rest. Unfortunately, I think the loss of David Hale is going to become even more apparent in the post-season where the games are tight and goals are harder to come by.

Some Rube called into PA and Dubay today to say that Michigan Tech takes Minnesota to three games. Yikes.

They must be in the paint thinner up in Houghton, Michigan...

Look at how many times bad teams have taken North Dakota to 3 games in the past several years.