SiouxSports.com Forum

Wcha First Round Playoffs

farce poobah

i am not at liberty to discuss this subject

and they only let good plaers play for them

Well thats a step in the right direction.

Now you have to work on the punctiation and capitalization!

Dude, I am just saying this because it sucks having to read something 3 times to figure out what you mean to say. There a lot of people that read these boards.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about 500 people are registered on this site.

Mmmm.... I love talking stats, in any context.

There are about 500 registered to post on the forums currently. That represents a small percentage of the total "lurkers". About 10,000 unique visitors per month generate about 1.2 million hits per month to SiouxSports.com (about half of those visit the message boards at least once). I don't have any current stats on total unique visitors over any longer periods of time. As I've often warned some of the more caustic posters, those numbers include a fair number of media, staff, coaches, players, and families, in addition to general fans.

** I should also mentioned that the unique visitors stat is probably a floor. Any roommates, computer lab users, family members, or coworkers who either share a computer or are behind a shared firewall or NAT router are counted as only a single unique visitor. That's why most web sites just quote the hits stat, which is absolute number of requests with no attempt to discriminate how many individuals were responsible for those requests.

Mmmm.... I love talking stats, in any context.

There are about 500 registered to post on the forums currently. That represents a small percentage of the total "lurkers". About 10,000 unique visitors per month generate about 1.2 million hits per month to SiouxSports.com (about half of those visit the message boards at least once). I don't have any current stats on total unique visitors over any longer periods of time. As I've often warned some of the more caustic posters, those numbers include a fair number of media, staff, coaches, players, and families, in addition to general fans.

Thanks Jim

You See Siouxrock...

10000 visitors per month on this site if only 10 percent browse the forums that means that 1000 people read the things you say.

I guess you should be glad that you can hide behind a screen name and no one has to know who you really are. I have read some things from other topics on this site and somethings that you have said have bordered on the offensive. Please think before you speak and instead of trying to create arguements and conflict (which is good sometimes ) maybe you should try to add something to the conversation. If you don't have anything productive to say why don't you just sit there and read whats here and wait until you have something interesting to say before you chime in.

There are about 500 registered to post on the forums currently.  That represents a small percentage of the total "lurkers".  About 10,000 unique visitors per month generate about 1.2 million hits per month to SiouxSports.com (about half of those visit the message boards at least once). 

** I should also mentioned that the unique visitors stat is probably a floor.  Any roommates, computer lab users, family members, or coworkers who either share a computer or are behind a shared firewall or NAT router are counted as only a single unique visitor.  That's why most web sites just quote the hits stat, which is absolute number of requests with no attempt to discriminate how many individuals were responsible for those requests.

The only problem with UNIQUE visitors is that doesn't it count "unique" by IP addy? So technically, if you have a floating IP addy you may actually artificially inflate the counts...just a question for those more savvy then me....

WPoS

The only problem with UNIQUE visitors is that doesn't it count "unique" by IP addy?  So technically, if you have a floating IP addy you may actually artificially inflate the counts...just a question for those more savvy then me....

The biggest source of unique visitor inflation is actually people who access the site from multiple locations. It's particularly a problem on a site like this where a single person is likely to check the board from work, from home, from a computer lab, etc... Since we track registered users, it's pretty easy to count an average number of unique IP addresses per registered user over a period of time (in aggregate) and adjust the stats accordingly. However, registered users are a self-selected group whose behavior probably isn't representative of those who haven't registered. In calling the unique visitors stat a "floor", I make the assumption that an average registered user is likely to access the site from MORE IP addresses than an average non-registered user, but certainly can't prove it.

Back to your point, you can actually somewhat account for floating IPs by playing with the time window. Again, the site unapologetically uses cookies to track registered users as long as they stay on one computer. Further, most people who have a "dedicated" high speed connection lease their IP address for at least 14 days at a time. A lot of dialup users, though assigned unique IPs each time, are actually behind proxys that mask their IP address (all AOL users, for example, are aggregated down to just a couple unique users).

Bottom line? Yes, lots of forces tug unique visitors in both directions. That's why most sites just report "hits", which I personally find a horrible measurement because it's directly influence by page design (number of elements per page)! I tend to compare unique visitors to visits to page requests and do a sanity check to make sure the numbers aren't crazy. For example, January had about 1.2m hits generated by 250,000 page views, which historically correlates well with about 10,000 unique visitors for this site.