SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MSU MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

How in the heck did this thread go from thoughts and predictions about a hockey game, to talking about AARP?!?

Old people, our minds wander you know.............

If you find mine, please send me a PM. I really miss it (when I remember I used to have one).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting this thread back where it is supposed to be...

Top-five finish now in Mavericks’ sights

Not if the Sioux have anything to say about it. I'm anxious for Friday night.

Minnesota State plays arguably its biggest rival and the team directly ahead of it, red-hot and 11th-ranked North Dakota, Friday and Saturday at Grand Forks.

I didn't know that UND was considered to be Minn. St.'s biggest rival.

Is anybody else a little worried for this series? It seems that MSUM has been playing very well as of late, and there goaltender has a .933 save percetage and a 1.93 GAA...that's a pretty solid number...but Birggs' and Frazee's numbers were pretty solid when we played them as well... :D

Anyways, I'm thinking split this weekend. MSUM will play hard, as usual, especially since they need all the points they can get.

What worries me more than anything is MnSt's physical play and our inability to get scoring depth on our lines.

Check out the stats from these players since the start of the new year (8 games):

Goals / Assists

Miller 2 1

Porter 1 2

Watkins 0 2

Kozek 0 1

These numbers are rather poor and better improve if we expect to do well down the stretch.......

If we could only get a goal a game out of these guys.....

What worries me more than anything is MnSt's physical play and our inability to get scoring depth on our lines.

Check out the stats from these players since the start of the new year (8 games):

Goals / Assists

Miller 2 1

Porter 1 2

Watkins 0 2

Kozek 0 1

These numbers are rather poor and better improve if we expect to do well down the stretch.......

They need to pick it up especially Miller and Kozek.

This weekend will be a test of the dedication and grit of this team. Now that they are playing good Sioux hockey, they need to sweep this team at home, because they should, period. Not happy with a split or even three points. It they are going to contend this year (and we all know we have the talent to do so), they need to win all the games they should win, and that means the next four at home. I'm guessing we will be missing a blueliner for a couple of games so the rest of the team will have to play that much better. Is it Friday yet? Let's go Sioux!!!

The Sioux are currently in 8th place in the WCHA with a recored of 5-8-1(7-10-1 overall). They are 7 points from 2nd, 4 from 3rd, 3 from 4th and only 1 point from home ice. The Sioux need to sweep CC,AA,Mankato,UMD, split with UM,SCSU and DU. The Goalies need one less goal against and the Offense needs one more goal for,not real big goals but should be attainable. Hopefully Dane Jackson gets the penality kill figured out and we can become more physical without fear of taking a penality we can't kill.

Toews and Oshie go on second half tears and Lee and Chorny come back from the World Jrs. ready to play like we all know they can. The Third and Fourth line start chpping in goals and we make it To the WCHA final five and then the NCAA's. (All I want for X-mas is a good 2nd half) :D

Well we didn't sweep CC but we split and then sweep the Golden Gophers. the penality kill is getting much better and it looks like Phil is playing like we all thought he would. The third and forth lines are starting to contribute and the big guns are hitting thier stride after a slow first half. Lets keep it rolling against MSU and take 4 point this weekend.

Goals / Assists

Miller 2 1

Porter 1 2

Watkins 0 2

Kozek 0 1

I agree. I've been a defender of Watkins but it's high time he get a few goals. I don't expect him to score 15-20 a year, but Mike Prpich numbers shouldn't be out of reach for him. He needs to step it up.

This weekend will be a test of the dedication and grit of this team. Now that they are playing good Sioux hockey, they need to sweep this team at home, because they should, period. Not happy with a split or even three points. It they are going to contend this year (and we all know we have the talent to do so), they need to win all the games they should win, and that means the next four at home. I'm guessing we will be missing a blueliner for a couple of games so the rest of the team will have to play that much better. Is it Friday yet? Let's go Sioux!!!
If the Mav's are a little beat up there's no excuse. Even if they are healthy, it seems to me a "must-sweep".

If Morin is injured then the Sioux need to do what everyone in the WCHA was doing to Toews and Oshie when they were hurting in the first half. Drive him to the ice every chance you get.

If Morin is healthy I think the boys should drive him to the ice every chance they get.

Well we didn't sweep CC but we split and then sweep the Golden Gophers. the penality kill is getting much better and it looks like Phil is playing like we all thought he would. The third and forth lines are starting to contribute and the big guns are hitting thier stride after a slow first half. Lets keep it rolling against MSU and take 4 point this weekend.

I agree they're contributing as grinders and defensively, but there's very little offense coming from anyone other than the DOT line.

When they start to really contribute, look out!

I agree they're contributing as grinders and defensively, but there's very little offense coming from anyone other than the DOT line.

When they start to really contribute, look out!

A team has their scorers and a team has its playmakers and once in awhile, these playmakers will get the score at the right time. Porter is a prime example. They all contribute just enough so far to keep the W's coming. There is room for more, but I don't see it that way. I wouldn't be concerned about these guys whatsoever, they hold their own! :lol:

Porter will be missed next year!

A lot of this weekend will depend on what happens to our three outlaws. Bina out will be a huge deal. Oshie and toews out at the same time will shake up our scoring and would cause duncan to skate on a totally different line. It will be interesting to see how the team plays with so much negative media lately.

A lot of this weekend will depend on what happens to our three outlaws. Bina out will be a huge deal. Oshie and toews out at the same time will shake up our scoring and would cause duncan to skate on a totally different line. It will be interesting to see how the team plays with so much negative media lately.

Oshie and Toews will not and should not have to sit a game for getting a minor. Parise got a minor at a down town bar and he didn't sit a game. Matt Greene got a DUI and he only sat one game. Those 2 will not sit this weekend or any weekend for that matter. End of story.

As for the Bina scenario, I would say that there will be no punishment until its decided whether or not he was proven guilty or pleads guilty to his crime.

If Morin and Kalinski are healthy, it should be an interesting series. If they are out, or playing at reduced ability, the Mavs are pretty much screwed. They are not only the two best offensive threats, but they anchor the #1 penalty kill. Kalinski has tied the Mavs season record for shorthanded goals this season, and seems to get a shorthanded breakaway at least once a weekend.

If Morin is injured then the Sioux need to do what everyone in the WCHA was doing to Toews and Oshie when they were hurting in the first half. Drive him to the ice every chance you get.

I like your line of thinking. :lol: I don't know if anyone remembers but Savard from MTU a few years back and Blais made the point to make sure the boys didn't hack him. :)

A team has their scorers and a team has its playmakers and once in awhile, these playmakers will get the score at the right time. Porter is a prime example. They all contribute just enough so far to keep the W's coming. There is room for more, but I don't see it that way. I wouldn't be concerned about these guys whatsoever, they hold their own! :lol:

Porter will be missed next year!

I've been really surprised at the love people have for Porter as an offensive threat. He's not. He does a good job grinding and as a defensive player but that's about it.