SiouxSports.com Forum

Stay Positive

Watchout for Flying Pucks

The thing that KILLS ME, absolutely KILLS ME is the SAY NO EVIL theory of some posters and if you do, you are somehow not a true fan.

That KILLS ME!!! I know of no other team that has such an overly sensitive fan base. If this team loses the rest of the games this year, there are some here who would-with heads firmly planted in the sand-talk about what a great team it is and what a privilege it is to cheer on the Sioux and what a great year it was.

Here's my feeling: We expect CHAMPIONS here, not mediocrity and when we are given mediocrity we get upset. Why not? We should expect the best and when we don't get it, we can't say ANYTHING about it?

That's nuts.

I gotta go ring a Salvation Army bell, now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not about to jump off anything just yet. This team has talent, it just doesn't always seem to click together. It hurts a lot when our hardest working guys get penalized, or in some cases, take stupid penalties. (ie. Porter). We have been complaining about goaltending ever since Karl graduated, and Kollar had his meltdown season. Even Jordan Parise, a lot of people on this board claimed the only reason he got to UND was because of his brother. It's funny how now, that he's gone, we all miss him. He'd let in some strange ones, but somehow, he and the team found ways to WIN, and that was all that mattered.

Enough of the negative talk, though. I have as much bad to say as anyone else, and I am sure at times I will let some of it out. We all will, but I know we will keep supporting our favorite team! And as far as the Goofers go, why not let them hang a banner now? That way, when they choke, it will make it all the more sweet! :silly:

This year just might be a rebuilding year. BUT there is still plenty of time left to chear them on. Yes, I get frustrated watching them, and I've been one to blame certain people, but they are still my team. I'd still rather chear on a sioux team getting swept by tech than a gopher team ranked #1 in the nation. That's the beauty of the fighting sioux tradition!

despite the horrible season the 01-02 guys had, they still made the ncaa's. i'm still giving hakstol the credit that this team definitely could pull a 180 in the 2nd half of the season. the talent is definitely there. get on a roll and head in the post-season with some wins and some team chemistry under your belt. hak's had the boys doing it the past two years, i don't see why this year would be any different. and until the team puts itself out of contention for the ncaa's i'm going to give them some slack.

Nah. It's much easier to fly around screaming that the sky is falling and the only way to save it is to throw players under the bus in a sacrifice to the "hockey gods" and to fire the coach. :silly:

Why stay positive when it is easier to point out the negative?

Jesus man, enough with the "throw players under the bus" rants and the stupid :silly: symbols. Every post of yours is the same. Why not just copy and paste them to save yourself some time?

I are you ready to put a fork in them?:(?;)

No... I'd be a pretty crappy fan if I did. Of course, if I wasn't a true fan, I probably wouldn't care that Tech and Alaska have more points than us in the conference. Maybe "casual Sioux fan" is the way to go... much easier to forgive and forget.

No... I'd be a pretty crappy fan if I did. Of course, if I wasn't a true fan, I probably wouldn't care that Tech and Alaska have more points than us in the conference. Maybe "casual Sioux fan" is the way to go... much easier to forgive and forget.

Yeah, a "true fan" notices that a Sioux team was swept by Anchorage and Tech but thinks "hey the boys played hard and scored some goals and by golly gee wilickers we're gonna do better next time."

It could be worse I suppose.

Not sure how, but it could be worse.

No they didn't.

i guess you're right.. i was thinking of the 02-03 team that lost to ferris state. either way, hak has shown he can have the boys ready to play come the 2nd half of the season. the team hasn't completely demolished their chances for the post season yet... and until that happens i'm going to give hak the benefit of the doubt.

The thing that KILLS ME, absolutely KILLS ME is the SAY NO EVIL theory of some posters and if you do, you are somehow not a true fan.

That KILLS ME!!! I know of no other team that has such an overly sensitive fan base. If this team loses the rest of the games this year, there are some here who would-with heads firmly planted in the sand-talk about what a great team it is and what a privilege it is to cheer on the Sioux and what a great year it was.

Here's my feeling: We expect CHAMPIONS here, not mediocrity and when we are given mediocrity we get upset. Why not? We should expect the best and when we don't get it, we can't say ANYTHING about it?

That's nuts.

I gotta go ring a Salvation Army bell, now.

No one is saying "you can't say anything about it" I am just disagreeing with the personal attacks and the nastiness of the criticism.

We all expect this team to compete for the title year in and year out but don't forget, to get the best players here, we are going to lose kids some years sooner than we expected. Losing Parise, and Spirko was unexpected and makes a difference. Losing Zajac wasn't a sure loss either. I think we expected to lose Stafford and Smaby. Parise in goal and Spirko and Zajac would definitely have helped, but they are gone and we play with the kids who are here.

I am not saying that those who want to fire the coach and cut the players aren't true fans. Just trying to put this in perspective. I don't think anyone is saying this team is a great team. It has potential, but I don't know if they will be able to right the ship in time for this year or be able to make the playoffs. I don't think it is a privilage to cheer for the Sioux. It is a privilage to wear the uniform.

Anyone who thinks these guys don't want to win worse than we as fans do, have never worn a Sioux sweater or jersey. I don't think sticking up for the kids character and potential is sticking my head in the sand. I wouldn't normally think they can recover, but Hakstol and the coaches got them turned around before and these guys are very young with a good upside. I think they can win with the same kids and same coach but have to play smarter. It may not come this year though. The talent at this level even for Michigan Tech and Alaska is pretty good.

I am glad you got out and rang the bell. If you actually did that and don't feel better I will buy you a beer. (maybe even two).

For crying out loud, put it in perspective. Sioux MD took his little girls to the game last week and we got beat by the Badgers but they had their cheerleading outfits on and the Sioux cheerleaders talked to them and they had the time of their lives. More importantly their Daddy is home for Christmas and he is in one piece.

Best post of the year.

I love FIGHTING SIOUX hockey and always will but that doesn't change the fact that right here, right now, the team sucks. :silly:

I look forward to some hostile and abusive hockey during the Dartmouth tourney. :silly: I had planned on going to the games but they need me here. :(

GO SIOOOOOOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your favorite hockey team doesn't suck, they aren't playing very well right now. There is a difference. I don't think those of us who don't want to fire the coaches, Buning, Kupchella and send the goalies, and everyone but Oshie and Toews down the road are unrealistic or blind.

For crying out loud, put it in perspective. Sioux MD took his little girls to the game last week and we got beat by the Badgers but they had their cheerleading outfits on and the Sioux cheerleaders talked to them and they had the time of their lives. More importantly their Daddy is home for Christmas and he is in one piece.

That in a nutshell is why I can't get so upset about getting swept by MT.

We have two of the best forwards in college hockey. Oshie is one of the most creatvie hard working kids I ahve seen in a Sioux uniform since 1970 when I started watching Sioux hockey. He is a bright kid, a great leader and has been playing with a broken thumb. I think he, more than anyone, will pick the team up when he gets healthy. Duncan is is also a very good forward and works his butt off. I am not going to pretend the team is playing well, but I won't abandon the coaches or the kids, many of whom were an important part of the Frozen Four team last year and some from the year before when noone expected us to get there. Many of the others are freshman. We are very young

Some are wishing for Smaby who was not very good as a Freshman, OK as a Soph and pretty darn good as a junior. Give Finley the same time and I bet he will be pretty good by next year. Watch how he moves his feet which I think is pretty good for a big guy. Our forwards have good speed and quickness.

It is reasonable to criticize their play but I don't think it makes any sense to want a new coach or dump the goalies or rest of the team just yet. I think what Bobby Knight lectured to his kids when ESPN filmed his prctice session applies. We have to play smarter. We have plenty of talent, we have to play smarter. That should come with experience.

I also find amusing to think that those who still support the kids and the coaches are thought to be living in a fantasy world. This team is younger than the last two years and we were young then. It took until the last half of the year to come around. We may not make it back to the Frozen Four this year, but don't forget how many times recruits talk about how impressed they are with the Sioux fans and the atmosphere when they talk about why they choose to come here. They won't want to play for fans who abandon the team so quickly. They won't want to play for fair weather fans.

Don't make everything so personal. We can disagree as to how upset you want to get about the teams poor play, but I am amazed at how personal some people get over a website about a college hockey team.

If you are that frustrated get out and ring the bell for the Salvation Army. You will feel better, I guarantee it!

I agree. Great points and a great post.

Maybe there is hope?

Counting the exhibition games

UND is 8-3-1 against teams that roll their lines and try and out talent their opponent and play wide open up and down hockey

and UND is 1-7 against teams that like to counterpunch and clutch and grab and wait for mistakes to cash in(which is why our mistakes are magnified so greatly).

Just speculation on my part, but throw me a bone here!!!

If this holds true, the Sioux could have some success against teams like Minnesota, SCSU(a recent convert to this type of game), Mankato, CC, and UMD and will probably struggle against UAA, Bucky, Tech, and may struggle out East?

2005-2006 Lets review 0-3 last season in the playoffs. (final Five doesn't matter)

2004-2005 2-3 record in the playoffs losing to UND in the Frozen Four (final Five doesn't matter.

2003-2004 3-1 that year not too bad, biggest joke was giving him an award for letting in 4 goals during the WCHA Final Five.

So that is a 5-7 record in the playoffs. Hum, if I was the gopher fans I wouldn't be sizing up any title rings yet.

It's a bit disengenuous to ignore that going into last season Briggs was 5-4 in playoff games as well as the fact that the entire team melted down last season against SCSU and HC, not just Briggs or even Briggs period. It would also be disengenuous to ignore this team has more depth at forward, is getting better play at the blueline and is far more disciplined than they were last season. What this will all mean in March or April none of us know, but you're far too quick to write this team off.

Also I haven't seen a single serious Gopher fan annointing this team a single solitary title of any kind. :silly:

I think it would be funny, their fans have been woofing away and all but giving themselves the national title already.

Could you tell us where ONE single poster has posted that kind of a message please ?

I have not seen any such claim here, on GPL, or anywhere else.

This is all true, but lets be the better fans in the WCHA and show the other teams we are always behind our team no matter what their record is or how bad we play. We dont need to make any excuses for our losses.

I agree - Good posts. Lets see what happens in Jan on.

I have my tickets for the final 5. I still pray to the hockey gods our team will show.

Could you tell us where ONE single poster has posted that kind of a message please ?

I have not seen any such claim here, on GPL, or anywhere else.

I have to admit, I have not seen anyone say "hand over the championship to the goophs". It does look like sour grapes on behalf of Sioux fans. Like I said before, if the roles were reversed this year, many here would take exception to the fact people were scoffing at UND's record/ranking. Losing always sucks, but it is not an excuse for being a sore loser.

STAYING POSITIVE

I'am positive we can play better

I'am positive we don't have the best coaching

I'am positive Oshie and Toews will score more in the second half

I'am positive we need to rotate goalies

I'am positive that I will get ripped for this reply

I'm positive that I'm going to consume as much or more beer this season as last. Other than that I don't know what else to say about the season so far.