SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS TECH

AZSIOUX

The team played well enought to win but give creidt to mich tech their defence is good and if they get some scoring they will be a good team. All be need is to have the sioux start scoring and more that Oshie and company. Where are the seniors and the leadership and the freshmen better start pulling their weight but there is more games to be played.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the post game interview with Hackstool, TH asked him "what's going on?" and DH replied, "I don't know". Then he said they need to get some breaks. So we have a team with a ton of talent (which I'm not convinced of), we can't win games at home against unranked teams, our coach doesn't know why, and his strategy is to hope for some breaks......hmmm

I for one would not want to rely on a vision like that in sports, in a profession, or in life.

So we have a team with a ton of talent (which I'm not convinced of), we can't win games at home against unranked teams, our coach doesn't know why, and his strategy is to hope for some breaks......hmmm

The post mortem show on the radio last night was a replay to the nights before, same thing different game, the Sioux didn't get any breaks (Oshie scored twice, hardly a mention), the Sioux hit 3 posts in _____insert period and on and on.

I am not convinced this team is very talented at all. There hasn't been much evidence of it. The recruits coming in seem to have more press than this years freshmen. The Sioux have Toews and Oshie and Duncan up front great first line, only line that is really scoring. The second line hasn

OK I am going to ask the question has anyone started the Firehak website yet. I am not saying he should be fired at all. I think Hak is a good coach but at what point does it come down to coaching. This team is loaded with talent and not performing to me that is coaching. I realize the coach can't play the game, but he sure as hell should have them motivated to play. To me this team looks uninspired and just not playing together. That again is coaching.

OK that is all. Have a nice day. I for one will keep cheering and hoping for the best.

Not to mention that every team we played against this year (with the exception of Mankato), had better goaltending than us.

We have three problems. Either our talent is not working to their potential, the talent wasn't there to begin with (right now it's certainly no better than anyone elses), or our coaching is poor in that they can't motivate our players to perform.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how some people love to blow sunshine up the a$$es of others and have it blown up their own, while engaging in some strokefest questioning the loyalty of others who rightfully critique this team's "play". Getting swept by any team in your own barn is appalling. Getting swept by MT in your own barn is disgusting. Getting swept in your own barn on consecutive weekends is disgraceful. If anybody finds any "silver lining" in this team's recent performance, I suggest they put down their bong. Bitter? Yeah, but then again, I go into every season expecting the Sioux to win every game, and contend for another title, unlike some people around here. :silly:

It is beyond dispute this team is not good this year, but those are absolutely unrealistic expectations. Particularly courageous from someone who isn't putting on the jersey or lacing the skates every day to post they hold someone else to such a standard. The thing about goal setting is they must be...realistic...achievable...measureable. When you don't have those first two, the last doesn't matter. No program at any level wins every game they play and contends for a championship every year. Those expectations reflect more on you than it does the Sioux administration, coaches, or players for not delivering those goods.

Not to mention that every team we played against this year (with the exception of Mankato), had better goaltending than us.

We have three problems. Either our talent is not working to their potential, the talent wasn't there to begin with (right now it's certainly no better than anyone elses), or our coaching is poor in that they can't motivate our players to perform.

I'd like to think it's not the latter. I'd sure hope these guys don't enjoy losing and that would be motivation enough to play well.

Guys that we counted on to take scoring roles aren't doing it this year. Last year they played in the shadows of Zajac, Stafford, Spirko, Oshie, Toews, etc. so it was maybe easier to see their "potential" on the 3rd and 4th lines. Now that they're the focus of the team it's a different story. This lends me to believe they either haven't made the progression from year 1 to year 2, or they aren't as good as we think they are. Maybe they've just been put into this role too quickly?

We also have an issue with sub-par veteran leadership. When I say sub-par I'm not talking about hard-working, inspirational types, but more to the effect of 20+ goal-scoring, 1.0 PPG type. This team has relied on underclassmen for too much of the scoring burden over the past few years. That's what is making the early departures so difficult to overcome. It's great to get the blue-chip guys, but we need to have some players that will develop into scoring threats as seniors and not just muckers and grinders.

Folllowing the game I wrote a nice (in my opinion at least) email to Shepherd and McCloud about the state of officiating. I explained that I understand on any given night at least one teams fans are usually upset, but I explained that I am concerned about the MAJOR things being missed especially in the last 10 seconds of the game and highlighted the St. Cloud and Michigan Tech games.

St. Cloud- gave the benefit of the doubt on not calling the penalty shot, but not for allowing St. Cloud to have the FULL # OF PLAYERS ON THE ICE even though they had 1 guy in the box

Michigan Tech- not only did they not award the penalty shot they didn't even award a DELAY OF GAME PENALTY for covering the puck in the crease

Here is the response I got from Shepherd:

In the North Dakota game vs M.T. there was a delay penalty on aginst M.T.

so as soon as the player from M.T.touches the puck the whistle will blow. There

is no penalty shot in that case. In the St.Cloud game that was not a penalty

shot the player took the player down from the side,I did review that one.yes

they had too many players on the Ice for the last face off and yes that is the

officials fault. Thank you for your thoughts. Greg Shepherd Supervisor of

Officials.

I realize he was in a hurry but I would suggest the use of spell check.

There's one thing that's got me worried a little bit here & that is the following. Is Michigan Tech that good or were we really that bad or a was it a combationation (lousy spelling) of both? That's what I'm having a problem understanding right now as we speak. I hope someone has the answer to this question. GO GATORS CHOMP ON OHIO STATE ON JAN 8.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973 STILL WILL BE A SIOUX FAN UNTIL THE DAY THE LORD CALLS ME HOME.

Is Michigan Tech that good or were we really that bad or a was it a combination of both? That's what I'm having a problem understanding right now as we speak. I hope someone has the answer to this question. GO GATORS CHOMP ON OHIO STATE ON JAN 8.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973 STILL WILL BE A SIOUX FAN UNTIL THE DAY THE LORD CALLS ME HOME.

MTU is better this season than they were last season but the Sioux shouldn't have lost to this team, or at least not twice. I used to remember when losing to MTU was a disgrace, getting swept by UAA in Anchorage was also a disgrace. So this team is setting some bench marks. One thing I noticed is that MTU is pretty big, a lot bigger than the Sioux. UND is getting out muscled and out hustled this season.

I figured at most we can only lose maybe 6 more games before we will be sitting home for the NCAA's and probably not even hosting a WCHA home series.

It is beyond dispute this team is not good this year, but those are absolutely unrealistic expectations. Particularly courageous from someone who isn't putting on the jersey or lacing the skates every day to post they hold someone else to such a standard. The thing about goal setting is they must be...realistic...achievable...measureable. When you don't have those first two, the last doesn't matter. No program at any level wins every game they play and contends for a championship every year. Those expectations reflect more on you than it does the Sioux administration, coaches, or players for not delivering those goods.

Based on your logic, it's never realistic or achievable for this team to win every game or contend for a Title every season, or for its fanbase to expect this team to perform accordingly. I don't know about you, nor do I really care, but I tend to expect a great deal out of people I support, and myself. I/they may not reach that goal, and neither may this team, but I don't buy into the pablum you spew that worthwhile goals even if potentially impossible are not worth setting. But it sure as hell doesn't mean they shouldn't set those goals.

Obviously expecting a team to win every game is unrealistic. A more realistic goal would be to expect the team to compete hard in every game. I'm not necessarily seeing that.

On the other hand, winning at least ONE game against MTU in your own building is absolutely realistic; unfortunately this team is underachieving as measured by their 0-2 record this weekend.

Obviously expecting a team to win every game is unrealistic. A more realistic goal would be to expect the team to compete hard in every game. I'm not necessarily seeing that.

On the other hand, winning at least ONE game against MTU in your own building is absolutely realistic; unfortunately this team is underachieving as measured by their 0-2 record this weekend.

Which is precisely the point I was trying, inartfully, to make. I also agree with the second point. For whatever reasons, this team is not clicking and playing up to its potential. Hopefully, they get it turned around for a run into the spring.

In the North Dakota game vs M.T. there was a delay penalty on aginst M.T.

so as soon as the player from M.T.touches the puck the whistle will blow. There

is no penalty shot in that case. In the St.Cloud game that was not a penalty

shot the player took the player down from the side,I did review that one.yes

they had too many players on the Ice for the last face off and yes that is the

officials fault. Thank you for your thoughts. Greg Shepherd Supervisor of

Officials.

Mr. Sheppard. In what way did the MTU player have the control necessary to blow the whistle. Are you aware that a puck merely bouncing off of the player or his stick does not constitute control?

Michigan Tech- not only did they not award the penalty shot they didn't even award a DELAY OF GAME PENALTY for covering the puck in the crease

Here is the response I got from Shepherd:

I realize he was in a hurry but I would suggest the use of spell check.

I thought this sounded fairly reasonable (in explanation for last night's non-call), until I thought to myself, if a team commits a penalty in the course of bringing about a whistle stopping play for a delayed penalty, shouldn't that penalty also be called?

I thought this sounded fairly reasonable (in explanation for last night's non-call), until I thought to myself, if a team commits a penalty in the course of bringing about a whistle stopping play for a delayed penalty, shouldn't that penalty also be called?

If I am not mistaken did MTU even get a penalty on the play? I don't remember anyone going to the box.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I wanted Shep's quote in this post.

NCAA Ice Hockey Rules

HR 42

Note: "Completion of the play by the team in possession" in this rules means that the puck must have come into the possession and control of an opposing player or goalkeeper or has been "frozen". This does not mean a rebound off the goalkeeper, the goal or the boards or any accidental contact with the body or equipment of an opposing player.

C. The appropriate on-ice official shall use a "delayed whistle" when a foul is committed against the team in possession of the puck, thereby postponing the stoppage of play until the offending team shall have possession and control of the puck.

Maybe if I saw the replay again we'd see a Tech player "control and possess" the puck while in the crease. Maybe he tapped it across the crease to a buddy, or something. :silly: Most likely, however, is possession and control of the puck happened when the Tech player grabbed the puck, with his hand, in the crease, thereby committing a penalty.

I checked the box score. I think it was holding on Kerr. 1.5 second power play. Big flippin deal.

Kerr did go in the box. And the interpretation of the rule is correct, but yes a delay of game penalty should have been called I would think.

Either way, as a team we cannot depend on last minute penalty shots ( 2 games so far) to win games. We shouldn't be in those situations, especially against Tech

I get a kick out of the idiots that call this a rebuilding year. Hello!!!! The Sioux have 3 first round picks on this team and countless other draft picks. They have the guys they supposedly want. The true rebuilding will happen when guys like Oshie and Toews leave after this year and are replaced with guys like Moreland and Hamilton. If you can't win this year, you sure as heck aren't going to win next year.

At least we will have a rock solid stable of defensemen anchored by Brian "Aren't we playing two hand touch" Lee and Joe "I'm the biggest guy on the ice but won't fight guys even when they run my goalie" Finley.

If Chorney goes early, things could get real ugly.

Getting swept by MT in your own barn is disgusting. Getting swept in your own barn on consecutive weekends is disgraceful. If anybody finds any "silver lining" in this team's recent performance, I suggest they put down their bong.

OK Scott, I think I've found the silver lining. I heard the last time UND was swept by Tech in Grand Forks was '87. If that's the case, maybe there's hope yet. :silly: