SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais in the WCHA again?

fargosioux

I didn't see it, but I heard that he was on between periods last weekend with Sweeney. Supposedly he appeared a bit frustrated with the Columbus situation and seemed to regret the decision to leave UND and the college scene. Anyone see this interview?

Yeah, I saw it. You should have asked if anyone HEARD it though. I was at Sensers, with no sound. Sorry. Would have liked to have listened in, though. It was good to see him.

Several years back, I was listening to Michael Johnson talk about coaching the LA Sparks- I think it was after the Sparks won one of their titles- and they asked him if the win would mean that he would be looking for a coaching position in the NBA. He said that he wasn't interested in coaching on the men's side, because coaching women brought back what basketball used to mean for him-playing the game just because you love the game, not because of money or fame.

BRING BACK DEAN!

That would be one hell of a boost for the women's team.

That would help refs not screwing UND, of course then we would get into the whole biased mind thing. HECK, DO IT!

I ditto the best idea on this thread, and this board.

Bruce McCloud was AD of Duluth was he not. In fact if I'm not mistaken he used his position on the NCAA tourney team to get his school our position even though we were higher in the standings. That was 1983 I believe the year we hosted the final four. (I don't think we called it the "Frozen four" back then.

I saw the Blais interview and I have to say that it was heartwarming to see him. I don't know him or anything, but it was just very reassuring to see him there. He seemed well, and relaxed, and it did seem that he missed being behind the bench and actually coaching.

They just talked briefly about this year's Sioux team, and he commended Hak and noted how difficult it is to play defense in the league as an underclassman. Don't blame me for the youth excuse, I'm just reporting (actually loosely paraphrasing, in a sudo sudo-reporting way) what he said.

(And I did know him once, when he was my ninth-grade PE teacher at Minot High.)

I am not supporting this...but if we keep losing, do you look at "bringing Dean back"?

In Hak's first two seasons, he took us to the Frozen Four. Even if we end up having a mediocre season this year, I just don't see how it's justified to let him go to bring back Blais. As much as I love Deano, and would love to still have him as our coach, I don't think Hak's performance as coach warrants dismissal, regardless of the outcome of the season.

Didn't Blais coach girls hockey at Roseau before becoming the boys coach?

I don't see him taking the womens job except to live back in GF. Imagine the pressure on Hakstal then.

I've always thought he'd go back to college, but I don't count on a big time program until a coach decides to leave.

Best idea on this thread.

The officating would be different in this league, can you imagine Donny Lucia calling Blaiser to complain about the refs, go ahead Donny and Fax that complaint to me. he, he, he...

Well get back to you.

I didn't see it, but I heard that he was on between periods last weekend with Sweeney. Supposedly he appeared a bit frustrated with the Columbus situation and seemed to regret the decision to leave UND and the college scene. Anyone see this interview?

That is a pretty accurate take on the situation.

I saw the Blais interview and I have to say that it was heartwarming to see him. I don't know him or anything, but it was just very reassuring to see him there. He seemed well, and relaxed, and it did seem that he missed being behind the bench and actually coaching.

They just talked briefly about this year's Sioux team, and he commended Hak and noted how difficult it is to play defense in the league as an underclassman. Don't blame me for the youth excuse, I'm just reporting (actually loosely paraphrasing, in a sudo sudo-reporting way) what he said.

(And I did know him once, when he was my ninth-grade PE teacher at Minot High.)

Did he ever say "jk, goof off one more time and you go straight to the showers!'?

I also wonder if he would go to UMD depending on the circumstance surrounding Sandy's departure. I'm only bringing this up since someone mentioned it above. He and Sandelin were very good friend when they coached together at UND. When Sandy left I think I remember Blais saying something like "Not only did we lose a great coach, but I lost a pal". If Sandy is dumped, I have to wonder if Blais would want to take the job.

In addition to what Beersong said, there are some HIGH PROFILE UMD hockey alumni (hmm... wonder who) who want a UMD alum as head coach.

Also, as far as women's hockey, Shannon Miller and Scott Sandelin make the same amount of money.