SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais in the WCHA again?

fargosioux

In this week's WCHA preview, INCH suggests that Dean Blais may be back behind the bench next season at a WCHA school. It even hints at Blais as a possible replacement for Rivard as women's coach at UND.

Considering the source, I don't put much stock in this. Especially the notion that he'll be coaching the women's team.

Link

I've heard from many that coaching women/girls is a lot more rewarding than the men/boys. Less politics, less stress, they listen better and mouth off less. The only downside is I doubt the money compares, but to a guy like Blais it probably isn't the biggest issue at this point.

Personally I'd like to see Blais replace Lucia after another NCAA title or two, but I probably shouldn't put the cart before the horse. :D

I've heard from many that coaching women/girls is a lot more rewarding than the men/boys. Less politics, less stress, they listen better and mouth off less. The only downside is I doubt the money compares, but to a guy like Blais it probably isn't the biggest issue at this point.

Personally I'd like to see Blais replace Lucia after another NCAA title or two, but I probably shouldn't put the cart before the horse. :D

If you are looking for another coach in the Lucia mold, Mike Keenan is available.

From a Gopher fan's perspective that would be nice.

Now this is off the subject but, I was told by some folks that after Woog left Minnesota Blais wanted the job. Then the UofM administration said we want Lucia. Then Blais stated he was happy at UND. Is this just speculation or is there any truth to it??

Now this is off the subject but, I was told by some folks that after Woog left Minnesota Blais wanted the job. Then the UofM administration said we want Lucia. Then Blais stated he was happy at UND. Is this just speculation or is there any truth to it??

When Woog "retired", the administration had only 2 people in mind for the job. Blais & Lucia.

As soon as Blais heard about the openning, HE contacted UM and told them he would not be interested in switching jobs at that time. This was partially due to a rather large annuity set up for him by UND, that was payable only if he stayed on at UND till the end of his contract.

The U then went after Lucia hard, and signed him within 5 days.

Blais was on the Bernie Burgraff hockey show about 3-4 weeks ago. Bernie asked him about coaching college hockey again. Blais said that he was focused on his job right now, but he would sit down and look at things when the year was over. He also talked about college recruiting, saying that he doesn't like recruiting 15-16 year olds and that he would go after the older kids (he mentioned Maine's team).

From the way he was talking about it, he sounded exited about college hockey.

Blais' expirement with NHL may have satisfied his itch. He's always said he likes developing players, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear he was back in college or something like that. I do wonder if chasing prospects is something he might be tired of doing, I don't know.

As for coaching the women's team, someone closer to that sport has told me that it's tougher to coach women's hockey because the women don't have pro leagues to look forward to, therefore a lot of them are playing for fun, but aren't as interested in developing themselves to their utmost potential if they aren't going to be playing on the Olympic team. You can't push them as hard as you can the men who often have a chance to make some money in the game after college, whether it's the NHL, minor leagues or Europe. If that is true, I wonder if Blais would be happy in that environment.

Of course, after his highly successful run at UND, scratching his NHL itch, and working through all of the difficult family circumstances, maybe coaching a squad of talented players who are interested in having fun and playing the game would be a good fit for him.

I also wonder if he would go to UMD depending on the circumstance surrounding Sandy's departure. I'm only bringing this up since someone mentioned it above. He and Sandelin were very good friend when they coached together at UND. When Sandy left I think I remember Blais saying something like "Not only did we lose a great coach, but I lost a pal". If Sandy is dumped, I have to wonder if Blais would want to take the job.

Where else in the WCHA would he go?

MN - Lucia appears to be the guy for the forseeable future

WI - Unless Eaves takes a pro job, does anyone see a change coming there?

Denver - Gwoz seems firmly entrenched. Has anyone heard any rumors of him wanting to leave?

CC - Owens has been there a while, but is doing fairly well. There hasn't been much rumormongering on the internet about his job that I'm aware of. I suppose this could be a possibility.

UMD - already addressed above

Mankato - Jutting seems to be doing ok, but I suppose this would be one possibility.

St. Cloud - they've got a new coach, that probably won't be changing next year.

AA - another fairly new coach.

Tech - Russell might be a question-mark, but this year might be a better year for him and I think they've got another good recruiting class coming next year. I suppose this could be another possibility, though.

I guess you never know, but there doesn't appear to be a plethora of obvious opportunities.

I wonder, if he is wishing to develop players, why not become head coach of the Lowell Devils? :D Ok, they don't have an opening, but seriously, AHL would be an inbetween if there are no WCHA slots available.

I'm sure he could go to a CCHA team if he wanted to be like Michael Jordan's career with the Wizards :D

With regard to Mankato, Jutting is a good coach but has not had much to work with talent-wise other than a few very outstanding players like Shane Joseph, David Backes, Grant STevenson, TRavis Morin, etc. He usually has a lot of young players and that doesn't help matters. I think recruiting is pretty hard in Mankato. It may pose a challenge to Blais that he would like but I really don't see him coming down here. Sure, some are losing some confidence in Jutting but I think he's still viewed pretty favorably.

No. Not to say he wouldn't have listened if they called, but he is a Sioux hockey guy. Very few coaches won't listen to a great job offer. The Mn college job is one of the best.