SiouxSports.com Forum

Mich Tech visit the Fighting Sioux

brianvf

Even though UND got swept, I saw alot of positives from the games this weekend (namely Saturday). Some of the other players picked up their game and both games had extended periods of great and dominating play. Had a lesser goalie been in the net rather than Elliot, things would have most likely come out in UND's favor. I think that loosing some players to the junior's is a good thing. It gives some of the other guys a chance to prove themselves, for example, Hunter Bishop didn't dress all weekend, and in my opinion he has showed some real presence the chances he has gotten in previous series. He is a hard working, physical forward that will most likely produce some turnovers in the opponents end. Martens played great on Saturday and even though he didn't put up any points, he worked hard and had some chances.

The massive amount of negativity on this board lately has made me physically ill. I didn't know Sioux fans were just fair-weather. I know the team doesn't read this board, but you have to think that they hear it second hand, and personally if I were a player and heard some of these comments I would be saddened. Fact of the matter is all of these boys have more talent than anybody on this board (or you would still be playing and not watching). We should support UND through the good and bad and keep hope alive. They have the talent, its just a matter of time before it comes together. Maybe we have a losing season, maybe we don't; but that shouldn't affect our support. Wisconsin was a much better team than their record, so I don't think the sweep is horrible, I mean I would have liked to see some points, but its not the end of the world. All this talk of firing coaches and cutting players is ridiculous, I think we forget these at 17-20 year old kids that will make mistakes from time to time.

That being said, I think Tech is having more problems than UND right now, so I am optimistic that UND will come out of this next weekend with 4 points and the surprising play from some players that we didn't expect it from.

Even though UND got swept, I saw alot of positives from the games this weekend (namely Saturday). Some of the other players picked up their game and both games had extended periods of great and dominating play. Had a lesser goalie been in the net rather than Elliot, things would have most likely come out in UND's favor. I think that loosing some players to the junior's is a good thing. It gives some of the other guys a chance to prove themselves, for example, Hunter Bishop didn't dress all weekend, and in my opinion he has showed some real presence the chances he has gotten in previous series. He is a hard working, physical forward that will most likely produce some turnovers in the opponents end. Martens played great on Saturday and even though he didn't put up any points, he worked hard and had some chances.

The massive amount of negativity on this board lately has made me physically ill. I didn't know Sioux fans were just fair-weather. I know the team doesn't read this board, but you have to think that they hear it second hand, and personally if I were a player and heard some of these comments I would be saddened. Fact of the matter is all of these boys have more talent than anybody on this board (or you would still be playing and not watching). We should support UND through the good and bad and keep hope alive. They have the talent, its just a matter of time before it comes together. Maybe we have a losing season, maybe we don't; but that shouldn't affect our support. Wisconsin was a much better team than their record, so I don't think the sweep is horrible, I mean I would have liked to see some points, but its not the end of the world. All this talk of firing coaches and cutting players is ridiculous, I think we forget these at 17-20 year old kids that will make mistakes from time to time.

That being said, I think Tech is having more problems than UND right now, so I am optimistic that UND will come out of this next weekend with 4 points and the surprising play from some players that we didn't expect it from.

Great post. I agree entirely.

The massive amount of negativity on this board lately has made me physically ill. I didn't know Sioux fans were just fair-weather.

Just a question; have you seen the play yet this year? They are more fun to watch than the Vikes but look at the Rafters. Losing is not acceptable here. Most of us won't accept losing sitting down, that doesn't make anyone fair weather. I will be sitting in the stands with empty seats around me when the fair weather fans are in the bar or at home doing what ever fair weather fans do.

No fairweathering here. Just wanting some key wins is all. This was a good weekend for the sioux to try and go in the upward direction, yet we failed to do so. Saturday we played much better as a whole, yet a couple more hits could have been made to help take away a goal, possibly two for the badgers. I could pick on a couple players in which I normally would but today, I am not in the mood. We moved the puck down the ice much better on saturday too. It just sucks to see us, once again, to not have the puck bounce our way.

If they dont sweep the tech at home, and nothing less than a sweep, my prediction is that sioux will have a tough time the rest of the year, and the NCAA tourney will slowly vanish. I guess I hope for at least a final five appearance again this year, I'd like to go back. These games will be about the midpoint to the season so they better be good ones if we plan on making any sort of run to the NCAA.

Hak better run some harsh practices this week. And if Lammy(not to blame him entirely) shows any sign of weekness next friday, I say get him out asap. Time to go drink some more water. :(

p.s. After the Tech series, there is no home games for like a month! ;):):0:blush:

The massive amount of negativity on this board lately has made me physically ill. I didn't know Sioux fans were just fair-weather. I know the team doesn't read this board, but you have to think that they hear it second hand, and personally if I were a player and heard some of these comments I would be saddened.

Fans of this program go into every season expecting to win every game, and ending up in the Frozen Four. We expect to bring in top-flight talent, and have them perform every game, for a full 60 minutes. It's the way it is, and it's the type of thing that sets better programs apart from the rest. We do not settle for mediocrity, sorry-ass excuses or losing seasons. Leave that to other programs. Most fans of this team are very hockey savvy, and alot of the comments made here and at REA, while they may make you cry, are made with the expectation that we should win every f'ing game played, especially in our own barn. Even if this team had no losses, and was winning by 6 point margins every night, we would still critique the team, the coaches, the ice, the refs, the crowd, etc. Moreover, few things irritate me more than certain posters engaging in the mental masturbation of accusing other fans of being "fair weather" or "bandwagon jumpers" when they express their frustration with this team, engage in debates about certain players or otherwise coach from the couch.

The massive amount of negativity on this board lately has made me physically ill. I didn't know Sioux fans were just fair-weather.

And the massive amount of "duckies and bunnies" talk we are getting from some posters is making me sick. I think most of the people on this board are die-hard, green and white blooded fans who want us to be #1; not 2nd, 3rd, 4th or anything else.

We have high expectations, but I would rather have high standards and sometimes fall short instead of having lower standards that are easier to reach (example: winning seasons, home ice, occasional trip to the Final Five, ect). Great players come to North Dakota because of those high standards, they want to win. We get carried away sometimes, but that is better than having low standards and not caring if we win or lose.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the Sioux are a superior team and should sweep the series. That said, I have a feeling we will play down to the level of competition and make it a very interesting weekend of hockey.

I'm hopeful for 4 points though. While the WCHA crown is all but out of reach, UND needs to start stacking wins to get the attention of the NCAA selection committee.

And the massive amount of "duckies and bunnies" talk we are getting from some posters is making me sick. I think most of the people on this board are die-hard, green and white blooded fans who want us to be #1; not 2nd, 3rd, 4th or anything else.

We have high expectations, but I would rather have high standards and sometimes fall short instead of having lower standards that are easier to reach (example: winning seasons, home ice, occasional trip to the Final Five, ect). Great players come to North Dakota because of those high standards, they want to win. We get carried away sometimes, but that is better than having low standards and not caring if we win or lose.

Just my 2 cents.

Well stated. There's a high standard at UND and the current team isn't living up to it. It's not the fault of the fans who point out substandard play. Hell, it's not even Hak's fault or the team's fault. I'm quite sure the players and the staff want to win as well. That doesn't change the fact that this team isn't playing anywhere near where they should be though.

Playing for a powerhouse like UND must be a great experience for the players. With that comes high standards and unbelieveable expectations. They knew that coming in though and have a lot of work to do. Losing isn't acceptable at UND.

This whole season I have been saying that this next game is our breakout game, Oshie and Toews are going to break out, are defense is going to shut down the rush. I actually predicted a 5-1 win last night, and after the first 2 minutes, it was a good prediction.

The team played well this past weekend, but well is not good enough. We need to go back to the basics. People have studied Oshie and Toews and as many have seen, they just cant bring that puck across like they do, or make those moves for that fancy goal. Last year we were a team that scored fancy goals, and this year that isn't going to happen. They have learned to shut that down. I hate to say it, but maybe this is the year we score more dirty goals, and pick up the trash, and the gophers score all the fancy goals.

The players need to take a more Chay Genoway approach, has anyone noticed that that kid will shoot almost anytime he gets the chance. I noticed it last night when Wisconsin attempted to clear and he stopped it and just shot and created an oppurtunity. He has 11 points, some just beauties (Friday's, did anyones hair raise when they saw that twine ripple).

Let's just put the puck on net and hope to pick up the trash, like the Mighty Ducks. This is a little contradictory to the amount of shots we had this weekend which was impressive. But Ryan did it a few weeks ago, just put the puck on net and scored, Miller did it last night. I just don't think this pretty stuff is going to work.

Lastly, and then I get off my venting soap box. Has anyone noticed a change in the defense's appraoch to the rush? In previous years it seemed we shut it down at the blue line and forced them wide into the boards and then into a check. This year it seems like the D is letting them around, thus crashing the net, and like last night and previous nights, the Defensemen is forced into a holding situation and thus a penalty, and unsafe situation for our goalie. Defense needs to go back to the big hitting at the blue line, like Smaby did last year to Potulny.

Anyone else like these approaches, o yea, i'm done predicting scores this year.

I wasn't around to blow sunshine around this weekend. Sorry. :blush:

In any case, I think we can win both games this weekend vs. MTU. They played very well so far, but we've had their number for a while. But which team will show up? The team that played UW opening weekend/Saturday's CC game or the team that showed up vs. Maine/UAA? I think winning these games aren't entirely going to depend upon how good MTU will play this weekend. It will depend upon whether or not we show up to play and bury our chances.

My thoughts on this weekend....

I'll be there Friday night and I will not stand for anything less than a WIN!!! I will not be there Saturday night, and I will settle for nothing less of a WIN!!! (I hopefully will be listening to this on the radio somehow during my uncle's wedding :glare: )

On another note, Tech and UAA are usually supposed to be not so good, but UAA swept us.... So we'll see how things go down. I DO have expectations for this team. It's a sport, the goal is to win (I heard that somewhere, not sure where though)

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

I wasn't around to blow sunshine around this weekend. Sorry. :glare:

In any case, I think we can win both games this weekend vs. MTU. They played very well so far, but we've had their number for a while. But which team will show up? The team that played UW opening weekend/Saturday's CC game or the team that showed up vs. Maine/UAA? I think winning these games aren't entirely going to depend upon how good MTU will play this weekend. It will depend upon whether or not we show up to play and bury our chances.

Tech has actually played fairly well this year. With that said, a sweep in this series is vital.

I'll be at both games, down on the glass by the penalty boxes. Hopefully we play well and get some much needed wins! With Toews gone (although he hasn't done much recently, as far as scorecard wise) it'll be time to see who will step up.

Obviously I think Duncan will have a great weekend, he just might becoming my new favorite player. I'd like to see either Kozek or Watkins step up and put some pucks in the net... seems like they are about due

I'll be at both games, down on the glass by the penalty boxes. Hopefully we play well and get some much needed wins! With Toews gone (although he hasn't done much recently, as far as scorecard wise) it'll be time to see who will step up.

Ewww!!! I don't want to sit by you.

I want to see the Sioux sweep this weekend at home, and end the year in the Ralph on a good note. They are by no means a terrible team, and I still believe they can pull through this and make a run for a top 5 spot in the league. If they make the Final 5 in St. Paul, anything can happen after that point. It would be nice to wrap up an at-large bid, though, and not have to go thru that Juggernaut of a team in the Cities just to get into the field of 16! That's a ways down the road, so hopefully the guys all just concentrate on Tech, and send them back to Houghton with 2 losses.