SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs UNO

SiouxMD

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously did not feel safe until the last second ticked off of the game clock. Even though Dan Hammer proclaimed the game over, I still waited for the final horn to blow, because with UND against Omaha anything could have happened. One of the Freshman could have been posessed by the Devil for a second and called a timeout, forcing UND to punt, which would have been blocked and returned for a touchdown. Then Omaha would have went for two, only to be stopped initially, until the officials rule that Pat Berhns had called a timeout, and that the Mavs get another chance. The ensuing two point attempt would have gone off of the helmet of Robbie Meek, off of the back heal of Jared Enger, only to bounce right back to Miller in the end zone for the two point conversion and the win...... :lol:

It could have happened....yay sioux... :D

I seriously did not feel safe until the last second ticked off of the game clock. Even though Dan Hammer proclaimed the game over, I still waited for the final horn to blow, because with UND against Omaha anything could have happened. One of the Freshman could have been posessed by the Devil for a second and called a timeout, forcing UND to punt, which would have been blocked and returned for a touchdown. Then Omaha would have went for two, only to be stopped initially, until the officials rule that Pat Berhns had called a timeout, and that the Mavs get another chance. The ensuing two point attempt would have gone off of the helmet of Robbie Meek, off of the back heal of Jared Enger, only to bounce right back to Miller in the end zone for the two point conversion and the win...... :lol:

It could have happened....yay sioux... :D

I know Funny....and That's Funny

I posted this on the D2football.com message board, but thought some of you who could not see the game might appreciate thoughts from a UNO fan.

First off, congrats to the Sioux and their fans. It must be nice to get that monkey off your back. UNO playoff curse continues and changed from an 800 pound gorilla to a 900 pound gorilla. As far as strengths and weaknesses and margin of victory go, the result is what I expected....a close Sioux win by a late FG. However, what I did not expect was how glaring the defensive weaknesses for each team would be and how dominant each offense would be. Here are some random thoughts.

- What a beautiful day for a football game. About 58 degrees and mostly sunny and just a slight breeze. Pretty good for November in Nebraska. I would guess there were about 7500 people in attendance with probably 1800 Sioux fans. Outstanding support for the Sioux and decent support for UNO. Omaha should really be ashamed for the turnout given there is no Huskers game, nice weather, big time implications, and no TV. I mean we get 23,000 in a mid-week College World Series game on TV with LSU and Stanford who nobody cares about anyway, so why can't we draw in these circumstances?

- I met some nice Sioux fans and there was a friendly atmosphere. However, it was a little sanitized because all the banners had to be removed and no cheerleaders or dance team or mascots. The band could not dress in uniform either and was a little shorthanded. Not quite the same college atmosphere that I love so much. I enjoyed Marching Mav Member ruining his vocal chords on the U-N-O chant again.

- I will say this, Sioux fans really like to complain about officiating...a lot. Then I see it on the board too from people who were not there. There cannot be a penalty on every play and yes sometimes your players do things wrong too. I suppose that is conditioning from having some bad breaks and blown calls in the past, but I really see some paranoia about officiating and the NCAA conspiracies. Just an outsider's perspective.

- I will not play the "what if" game. UNO could have easily won this game if the defense even had some resemblence of a backbone. However, UND could argue the same thing. UND won because of special teams. The Sioux made it's only FG attempt and blocked UNO's only FG attempt. That's the difference in the game.

- The UNO edge in total offense is deceiving because the only reason UND did not have as many yards as UNO is because they had a better kickoff return game and did not have to go as far. Neither team's defense could stop anything. I believe UND was 12-of-16 on 3rd down conversions and at least 7 of those were 3rd and long. UNO's offense was probably about the same except not as many 3rd and longs. That's what's frustrating because UNO had lots of chances to force punts just by holding the Sioux to short completions. I believe there was 1 punt by each team (UNO's won't count in the stats because of running into the kicker) and 1 turnover by each team where the QB just threw a long pass up for grabs. Otherwise the only "stops" were UNO at the half and UNO on downs in their last possession.

- Speaking of UNO's last possession, they were down by 3 with about 2:50 left on the clock with 2 timeouts and UND had not stopped them yet. The Sioux fans definitely were not comfortable, but the defense did it's job along with UNO getting a holding call to wipe out a good Miller scramble. I would have preferred UNO not to throw on that last drive and just stick with the option and power running game, but the penalty forced them to change that scheme some. UNO holds too much and needs to improve that in the off-season.

- The UNO pass defense is just plain sorry. In the first half UNO had 3rd and long several times and only rushed 3 and dropped 8 while UND had 4 receivers and 6 in pass protection. Of course UNO did not get any pressure, but with a 2-to-1 advantage in players downfield, you would think that UND receivers would be covered well. Not so, they were running wide open down the middle of the field. It's not like Manke placed some really nice balls that only the receiver could catch. In the second half UNO blitzed a little more figuring that if they can't cover anybody then they may as well pressure the QB. It didn't work much better. It is very frustrating to watch from the stands and wondering what UNO's safeties are doing.

- UND receivers made 2 really nice catches to keep drives alive. Dressler caught one that would have hit him in the feet to get a first down inside UNO's 10. Then Trenbeath made a one-handed catch of about a 40 yard pass despite getting interferred with.

- UND's defense was not much better in terms of open field tackling. UNO backs would routinely run right through the first tackler. I could not believe how easy UNO gashed the Sioux defense. A lot of people said that UNO was too predictable and 1-dimensional. Well UNO did not do anything different and everybody knew what was coming, but the Sioux couldn't stop it anyway. UNO did run a TE screen for about 15 yards, but that was about the only thing UNO did that was not normal. This will sound harsh and I didn't think I'd ever see it, but the Sioux defense is soft.

- As I was watching, I was thinking that I don't like either teams chances against Grand Valley State. UND can't tackle and UNO can't cover. I think that UNO would have a better showing in Allendale than UND just because I like teams who run the ball and stop the run in the playoffs, especially in bad weather. That does not mean I think that UNO is better than the Sioux. If they were, UNO would not have lost at home. It's just my preferrence on playoff football. I will be rooting for the Sioux, but I hope the Lakers don't see this game tape.

For all of us who have been critical of Chris Mussman's playcalling in the past, let me be the first to say, great job today and really all season. This offense is a machine right now.

I'll admit I have been one of the critical ones - great offensive job today - keep the momemtum going

Pat Sweeney and the FSSN just showed game highlights between periods of the UND-CC hockey game...

10 touchdowns...Sweeney sounded like Chris Berman during "The Fastest Three Minutes in Television".

UND WINS!!!

WOOHOO!

:D

BTW...at the end Sweeney thanked one of WDAZ's cameramen for making the trip to Omaha.

A few interesting statistics after looking at the box score:

- Only 5300 in attendance rather than 7500 that I guessed - I think this is low

- UND's 4 leading tacklers were all DBs

- UNO average per rush was 7.6 yards & 7.2 per play overall; UND 3.4 yards per rush and 5.7 yards per play

- UND was 22 for 31 passing

- Time of possession: UND 30:31, UNO 29:29

- Penalities: UND 6-48 yards, UNO 6-49 yards

Pat Sweeney and the FSSN just showed game highlights between periods of the UND-CC hockey game...

10 touchdowns...Sweeney sounded like Chris Berman during "The Fastest Three Minutes in Television".

UND WINS!!!

WOOHOO!

BTW...at the end Sweeney thanked one of WDAZ's cameramen for making the trip to Omaha.

Good for you guys after all UND BEAT UNO & MY GATORS BEAT THOSE DAMN SEMINOLES. After all it was a good day. GO GATORS LET"S HAVE A ROAST PIG NEXT WEEK IN ATLANTA.

A few interesting statistics after looking at the box score:

- Only 5300 in attendance rather than 7500 that I guessed - I think this is low

- UND's 4 leading tacklers were all DBs

- UNO average per rush was 7.6 yards & 7.2 per play overall; UND 3.4 yards per rush and 5.7 yards per play

- UND was 22 for 31 passing

- Time of possession: UND 30:31, UNO 29:29

- Penalities: UND 6-48 yards, UNO 6-49 yards

While the penalties seem even, I think the Sioux took theirs at horrible times. Though I guess UNO took that holding at the end.

I noticed earlier that you said we were all complaining about the reffing. I didn't see that on this board, but maybe it was happening on D2football. Most of us here were just upset with how dumb our players were being in critical situations like that contacting the punter.

- As I was watching, I was thinking that I don't like either teams chances against Grand Valley State. UND can't tackle and UNO can't cover. I think that UNO would have a better showing in Allendale than UND just because I like teams who run the ball and stop the run in the playoffs, especially in bad weather.

I completely agree, but I don't think UND's run defense is as bad as UNO made them look today. They were horrible today and could not stop the power running game for anything. The this is, UND has done a good job shutting down many other running attacks this season. We will see, but UND has to be much better on defense in order to win next week. The reason I like UND as a better match for GV is that they have a very balanced offense and will require GV to cover the entire field.

While the penalties seem even, I think the Sioux took theirs at horrible times. Though I guess UNO took that holding at the end.

I noticed earlier that you said we were all complaining about the reffing. I didn't see that on this board, but maybe it was happening on D2football. Most of us here were just upset with how dumb our players were being in critical situations like that contacting the punter.

Most of the complaints on the board were people complaining about taking penalties at bad times. UND couldn't get a stop defensively and two or three times they did get a stop on a big play on 3rd down or near the goaline and they take a stupid penalty. (running into the punter, taking a PF after the RB was already tackled for a loss)

You are right...I was referring to the D2football.com board and the Sioux fans in attendance. Most of the penalties happened when UNO had the ball (i.e., UNO offense and UND defense). Also, you are right about the critical times. UNO got 4 first downs by penalty. The PI saved a TD so that one was a "good" penalty.

I completely agree, but I don't think UND's run defense is as bad as UNO made them look today. They were horrible today and could not stop the power running game for anything. The this is, UND has done a good job shutting down many other running attacks this season. We will see, but UND has to be much better on defense in order to win next week. The reason I like UND as a better match for GV is that they have a very balanced offense and will require GV to cover the entire field.

The Sioux D is not as bad as today. Sometimes there are just bad days for defense and UNO is the best rushing offense in D2. The option game was another sore spot for UND.

There are some things you see that are related to scheme, effort, physical stength, speed, and mental toughness. Coaches and players can correct scheme, effort, and mental aspects. From my perspective, some of UNDs tackling and getting manhandled on the front 7 seemed to be physical issues that are much tougher to fix in 1 week. UNO was able to get to the edge pretty easy today and GVSU is probably faster than UNO. Enger and Wolff were non-factors except for the screen pass that Wolff sniffed out. If he didn't do that, there was a lot of room ahead with blockers. That may have been the biggest defensive play of the game that nobody talks about. The Manke interception was easy because Miller threw it right to him even though the receiver was behind him.

As far as which offense is better in the playoffs, that's just preference. An option offense takes away a lot of a defense's ability to blitz in different ways and is usually better in the red zone. But I'm sure we'd agree that you'd really like your D to stuff the run.

I posted this on the D2football.com message board, but thought some of you who could not see the game might appreciate thoughts from a UNO fan.

First off, congrats to the Sioux and their fans. It must be nice to get that monkey off your back. UNO playoff curse continues and changed from an 800 pound gorilla to a 900 pound gorilla. As far as strengths and weaknesses and margin of victory go, the result is what I expected....a close Sioux win by a late FG. However, what I did not expect was how glaring the defensive weaknesses for each team would be and how dominant each offense would be. Here are some random thoughts.

- What a beautiful day for a football game. About 58 degrees and mostly sunny and just a slight breeze. Pretty good for November in Nebraska. I would guess there were about 7500 people in attendance with probably 1800 Sioux fans. Outstanding support for the Sioux and decent support for UNO. Omaha should really be ashamed for the turnout given there is no Huskers game, nice weather, big time implications, and no TV. I mean we get 23,000 in a mid-week College World Series game on TV with LSU and Stanford who nobody cares about anyway, so why can't we draw in these circumstances?

- I met some nice Sioux fans and there was a friendly atmosphere. However, it was a little sanitized because all the banners had to be removed and no cheerleaders or dance team or mascots. The band could not dress in uniform either and was a little shorthanded. Not quite the same college atmosphere that I love so much. I enjoyed Marching Mav Member ruining his vocal chords on the U-N-O chant again.

- I will say this, Sioux fans really like to complain about officiating...a lot. Then I see it on the board too from people who were not there. There cannot be a penalty on every play and yes sometimes your players do things wrong too. I suppose that is conditioning from having some bad breaks and blown calls in the past, but I really see some paranoia about officiating and the NCAA conspiracies. Just an outsider's perspective.

- I will not play the "what if" game. UNO could have easily won this game if the defense even had some resemblence of a backbone. However, UND could argue the same thing. UND won because of special teams. The Sioux made it's only FG attempt and blocked UNO's only FG attempt. That's the difference in the game.

- The UNO edge in total offense is deceiving because the only reason UND did not have as many yards as UNO is because they had a better kickoff return game and did not have to go as far. Neither team's defense could stop anything. I believe UND was 12-of-16 on 3rd down conversions and at least 7 of those were 3rd and long. UNO's offense was probably about the same except not as many 3rd and longs. That's what's frustrating because UNO had lots of chances to force punts just by holding the Sioux to short completions. I believe there was 1 punt by each team (UNO's won't count in the stats because of running into the kicker) and 1 turnover by each team where the QB just threw a long pass up for grabs. Otherwise the only "stops" were UNO at the half and UNO on downs in their last possession.

- Speaking of UNO's last possession, they were down by 3 with about 2:50 left on the clock with 2 timeouts and UND had not stopped them yet. The Sioux fans definitely were not comfortable, but the defense did it's job along with UNO getting a holding call to wipe out a good Miller scramble. I would have preferred UNO not to throw on that last drive and just stick with the option and power running game, but the penalty forced them to change that scheme some. UNO holds too much and needs to improve that in the off-season.

- The UNO pass defense is just plain sorry. In the first half UNO had 3rd and long several times and only rushed 3 and dropped 8 while UND had 4 receivers and 6 in pass protection. Of course UNO did not get any pressure, but with a 2-to-1 advantage in players downfield, you would think that UND receivers would be covered well. Not so, they were running wide open down the middle of the field. It's not like Manke placed some really nice balls that only the receiver could catch. In the second half UNO blitzed a little more figuring that if they can't cover anybody then they may as well pressure the QB. It didn't work much better. It is very frustrating to watch from the stands and wondering what UNO's safeties are doing.

- UND receivers made 2 really nice catches to keep drives alive. Dressler caught one that would have hit him in the feet to get a first down inside UNO's 10. Then Trenbeath made a one-handed catch of about a 40 yard pass despite getting interferred with.

- UND's defense was not much better in terms of open field tackling. UNO backs would routinely run right through the first tackler. I could not believe how easy UNO gashed the Sioux defense. A lot of people said that UNO was too predictable and 1-dimensional. Well UNO did not do anything different and everybody knew what was coming, but the Sioux couldn't stop it anyway. UNO did run a TE screen for about 15 yards, but that was about the only thing UNO did that was not normal. This will sound harsh and I didn't think I'd ever see it, but the Sioux defense is soft.

- As I was watching, I was thinking that I don't like either teams chances against Grand Valley State. UND can't tackle and UNO can't cover. I think that UNO would have a better showing in Allendale than UND just because I like teams who run the ball and stop the run in the playoffs, especially in bad weather. That does not mean I think that UNO is better than the Sioux. If they were, UNO would not have lost at home. It's just my preferrence on playoff football. I will be rooting for the Sioux, but I hope the Lakers don't see this game tape.

I appreciate your candid and unbiased thoughts about the game and the two teams.

It's always nice to have a classy fan from another team come in and give another view.

Some things to take note of (if you aren't a UND fan but are visiting this site with the intent to post):

1. Notice how Lefty-UNO fan points out that UND's weaknesses are in such a manner that doesn't lead a reader to interpret that the other team was superior in a manner that wasn't actually shown. Our defense had a bad game, Lefty-UNO pointed that out, but did so respectfully.

2. He pointed fingers at all weaknesses in the game, all sides, equally.

3. He understands where he's posting. He knows this is a UND site where there are UND fans that hold blatant and overt pro-UND attitudes. Coming in and trying to boast otherwise or force us to "change" isn't part of his gameplan.

Kudos Lefty-UNO. I hope you'll return and post again.

Don't look to me, I have been defending Mussman for the last several years.

Win=Happy fans, love coach

Lose=angry fans, blame coach

Allow me to elaborate a bit on my original post--UND's offense is averaging 37 ppg over the past five games, whereas it seems many times in the past by late in the season, the offense was really struggling to find a way to score 20. I certainly can't say whether the late season struggles of the past were due to scheme, playcalling, players, etc., but I felt it would be patently unfair not to praise Mussman during this unprecedented late season run of outstanding offense, because he's certainly taken heat by a lot of people when the offense has struggled. Obviously the players deserve much of the credit, as well, but they are being put in good positions to succeed. To me, an example of being unfair would be to call out Mannausau/Kelling for yesterday's defensive performance, considering the defense has generally played well this year. While I was very disappointed in allowing that many rushing yards playing a team where you knew exactly what they were going to do, I have faith that the problems will be addressed, and that the defense will play better next week.

Allow me to elaborate a bit on my original post--UND's offense is averaging 37 ppg over the past five games, whereas it seems many times in the past by late in the season, the offense was really struggling to find a way to score 20. I certainly can't say whether the late season struggles of the past were due to scheme, playcalling, players, etc., but I felt it would be patently unfair not to praise Mussman during this unprecedented late season run of outstanding offense, because he's certainly taken heat by a lot of people when the offense has struggled. Obviously the players deserve much of the credit, as well, but they are being put in good positions to succeed. To me, an example of being unfair would be to call out Mannausau/Kelling for yesterday's defensive performance, considering the defense has generally played well this year. While I was very disappointed in allowing that many rushing yards playing a team where you knew exactly what they were going to do, I have faith that the problems will be addressed, and that the defense will play better next week.

I can see why people would be, and should be, disappointed in the number of rushing yards allowed by our defense. But when you only see this type of offense once a year, or in this case twice, it still doesn't make it any easier to defend IMO.

I was at the game and there were plenty of times that they would run the option to the near side line and Miller was able to get the pitch off and their running back was off to the races. Other times, it was the result of a busted offensive play that allowed Miller to gain so many yards on the run. The 50-some yard run he had in the 1st half was a result of our secondary locking down on their receivers, but our line didn't close the gap fast enough in the pocket and Miller was off to the races. As you can see by the numbers, it doesn't really matter who Omaha played, they ran the ball at will on every team, not just ours.

Also, it seemed to me like the defense was jumping a lot at fakes or mis-direction plays early on. Lennon came over and "politely" reminded the defense after they gave up the 3rd TD in a row in the 1st half to "quit guessing and stay with their responsibilities." That just reinforced what I saw on the field. Maybe a bit over-pursuing, some guessing, and tentativeness on the D's part because of UNO's potent running attack. And that Zach Miller guy is "pretty good". <----Insert sarcasm---->

It's always nice to have a classy fan from another team come in and give another view.

Some things to take note of (if you aren't a UND fan but are visiting this site with the intent to post):

1. Notice how Lefty-UNO fan points out that UND's weaknesses are in such a manner that doesn't lead a reader to interpret that the other team was superior in a manner that wasn't actually shown. Our defense had a bad game, Lefty-UNO pointed that out, but did so respectfully.

2. He pointed fingers at all weaknesses in the game, all sides, equally.

3. He understands where he's posting. He knows this is a UND site where there are UND fans that hold blatant and overt pro-UND attitudes. Coming in and trying to boast otherwise or force us to "change" isn't part of his gameplan.

Kudos Lefty-UNO. I hope you'll return and post again.

Thanks UND Fan and Redwing. I may make it here once in a while. UNO's message board is dead and the D2football.com board was down. That's how I started here.

I don't know if calling the Sioux defense "soft" was respectful or not, but I at least try to be objective.

Thanks UND Fan and Redwing. I may make it here once in a while. UNO's message board is dead and the D2football.com board was down. That's how I started here.

I don't know if calling the Sioux defense "soft" was respectful or not, but I at least try to be objective.

You can only call it as you see it Saturdays game was a diffensive nightmare, we still can't stop the option and the UNO guys couldn't figure out how to make double coverage on all receivers work