SiouxSports.com Forum

Direction of the Team

sioux7>5

Great Thread!!!

While I don't think that this year's team is done already and ready to call it a season; I do think that there are some serious fundamental flaws.

People have picked out the defense as struggling to build an identity and play well, and I agree with that, however, we are also having a lot of trouble putting the puck in the net. We have not scored more than 3 goals in a game except for against Mankato and Quinnipiac. We've also scored a grand total of 7 goals in our 5 losses. That is pathetic. Obviously the guys aren't clicking.

Toews isn't playing like a number three overall, and Oshie is not playing the kid we saw last year. Duncan and Porter IMO seem to be the only two guys pulling their weight.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year TJ, Toews, Duncan and the other young guns had Stafford, Zajac, Spirko, and yesss-Prpich drawing the attention of the other teams. That allowed them to skate against lesser players and fly under the radar for a while. On this team, they are drawing all of the attention. The Sioux are a very very young team. Our predominant leaders are sophomores. Give the freshman some time to get adjusted to the game, start picking up some slack and things will get better. Like it or not, the bottom of the WCHA has moved up this year and there is less margin for error in these games. The UAA trip was a first for many guys on the team, and it isn't time to panic. Keep rooting for the Sioux and let Hakstol do his thing. The defense did not click the past two years until the second half. The offense has had its up and downs the past two years. Finally, root for Holy Cross and the Gophers in St. Louis issue will take care of itself. :silly:

Last year TJ, Toews, Duncan and the other young guns had Stafford, Zajac, Spirko, and yesss-Prpich drawing the attention of the other teams. That allowed them to skate against lesser players and fly under the radar for a while. On this team, they are drawing all of the attention. The Sioux are a very very young team. Our predominant leaders are sophomores. Give the freshman some time to get adjusted to the game, start picking up some slack and things will get better. Like it or not, the bottom of the WCHA has moved up this year and there is less margin for error in these games. The UAA trip was a first for many guys on the team, and it isn't time to panic. Keep rooting for the Sioux and let Hakstol do his thing. The defense did not click the past two years until the second half. The offense has had its up and downs the past two years. Finally, root for Holy Cross and the Gophers in St. Louis issue will take care of itself. :silly:

I think in retro spect losing Berry and Jordy are huge.

Great memories,

I must mention both JBC's (LIT night) and Whitey's Back Bar (where I met Mrs. Squirtcoach).

Hopefully we are all done with bemoaning the direction of the team.

Everyone cowboy up. Since I can remember (starting 1979), the road to the Final Four is always rough for the Sioux. (Well maybe not in '87). But we'll get there just the same.

I don't remember Griggs Landing, that must have been before my time.

Griggs was on North 3rd Street in GF through most of the 80's until 95 or 96. It was in one of the buildings that burnt down during the flood. They brought in a lot of blues bands over the years. They also poured a really stiff drink.

Griggs was on North 3rd Street in GF through most of the 80's until 95 or 96. It was in one of the buildings that burnt down during the flood. They brought in a lot of blues bands over the years. They also poured a really stiff drink.

I guess I never got to see it. I do remember the edge being a country bar named chaps.

Let's see ... We would hit Whitey's, in its original spot, esepcially the side and back bars; the Antique; Stooges (loved those Long Island Tea fishbowls); the Down Under for "Bucks" on Friday; Sensations for 2 for 1 mixed drinks; and Frenchy's for mugs of whatever and all of the hockey memorabilia (Also a great place for after hours drinking if you knew the employees). I also enjoyed Griggs Landing too. Made you think you weren't even in GF. ;)

Got 86'd from the Bronze Boot and Faces. :silly:;)

the Down Under for "Bucks" on Friday :silly:;)

Just think the beer for $1.50 pictures was Key Stone Lite: and a good number of us would drink them by the gallons every Friday night. Now I am not so sure I walk across the street to drink a Key Stone. The Edge also had some kind of a taco bar on Fridays if I remember right.

:silly:;) You forgot: ;):0

Hakstol shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. It was Sandelin's. And when in the hell is Blais coming back?!?!

UAA really doesn't really belong in the WCHA, since making the trip out there throws off everybody's sleep cycle, including mine.

The NHL scouts/teams obviously screwed up when they thought Toews, Oshie and Lee were prime draft picks. These guys couldn't play floor hockey without wasting space.

If Ralph hadn't donated the money for the new arena, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's distracting and should be leveled for a new WalMart.

When you are paid as a scout for the NHL, then you can make the above statement regarding the talents of Toews, Oshie and Lee. If you think you can coach any better, then suit it up buddy!