SiouxSports.com Forum

Did anyone hear Hakstol's post-game comments?

BostonSiouxFan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain this VanDeVelde hit from behind? I missed the hit at the game to get back to work. Some people say it was clean, others say dirty....What the concensus on the hit?

The guy went face first into the plexiglass. I called it checking from behind as it happened.

Last night was a horrible game to watch and if they called the NCAA games like they do the NHL, Maine would have been killing a lot of penalties. My buddy said last night game was one of the most one sided called games that he has ever seen I think he may be right Adam and the other clown that called the game should get two weeks off. Its obvious that Don Adam from the Commodore incident and last night that he can't objectively call a game without having to jam UND.

I was not impressed with Maine they are one of the dirtier teams I have seen play at the Ralph in a long time.

Not harping on the refs but how is VV check, checking from behind? Then the refs totally miss one by Maine before that that was really blatant.

This was just one of several comments on the Friday night game thread. Not ripping on you, Goon, just pointing out differences of opinion when it comes to officiating. dagies, go back and take a look at that thread and you'll see lots of commentary like "Maine penalty...I suppose they'll take Kozek too just to even it up" and similar remarks by posters.

UND took many undisciplined penalties on Friday night but the bigger reason for the second period disaster was the lack of defense and the worst passing I've seen in recent memory. About 3:00 into Saturday night's game, my thought was "simply a continuation of last night."

Maine showed me nothing related to being "dirty." By contrast, I left very impressed with their team. On the flip-side, nothing says "thug squad" like running a guy into the boards during a 6-2 thumping in your own building with 2:00 or so left on the clock. With all due respect to VanDeVelde, keep your emotions in check.

The guy went face first into the plexiglass. I called it checking from behind as it happened.

I thought he turned his back to VandeVelde just before the hit...anybody have the tape of the game?

Also, right after the hit, when Finley dragged the Maine player across the ice...did that player come in and kick Finley in the leg? I missed it, but my brother swore that the Maine player jumped at Finley and came down on Joe's leg with his skate. Anyone else see this?

Wow, when I read GPL I was given the impression we fans were blaming the loss on the refs. Funny how the coffee clatch got the majority consensus wrong again.

That's the impression I got too (without going to GPL). On USCHO a few gopher fans are claiming we are blaming the loss on the refs.

But hey, they watch our games all the time, right? I mean, that's why they come here so often to talk it up. :)

Please, poor officiating was the call of the day on Friday, but the Sioux lost this game by themselves. The refs only poured salt in the wounds.

I thought he turned his back to VandeVelde just before the hit...anybody have the tape of the game?

Also, right after the hit, when Finley dragged the Maine player across the ice...did that player come in and kick Finley in the leg? I missed it, but my brother swore that the Maine player jumped at Finley and came down on Joe's leg with his skate. Anyone else see this?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the guy was stepping on/kicking at Joe's stick, trying to break it or something.

This was just one of several comments on the Friday night game thread. Not ripping on you, Goon, just pointing out differences of opinion when it comes to officiating. dagies, go back and take a look at that thread and you'll see lots of commentary like "Maine penalty...I suppose they'll take Kozek too just to even it up" and similar remarks by posters.

UND took many undisciplined penalties on Friday night but the bigger reason for the second period disaster was the lack of defense and the worst passing I've seen in recent memory. About 3:00 into Saturday night's game, my thought was "simply a continuation of last night."

Maine showed me nothing related to being "dirty." By contrast, I left very impressed with their team. On the flip-side, nothing says "thug squad" like running a guy into the boards during a 6-2 thumping in your own building with 2:00 or so left on the clock. With all due respect to VanDeVelde, keep your emotions in check.

Thanks for having the balls to say what needed to be said Mafia Man.

Personally, I'm tired of the non stop bashing of the refs. We act like the only bad calls they make go against our guys. Some of our posters here actually do fit the stereotypes I've seen on other websites that describe us as paranoid and "halos".

It is not fair to have our fan base judged by comments by a few. Unfortunately, negative comments about the refs, other teams, other coaches, other players, etc is rampant here. I'd like to think there are more of us out there who don't think like some of the main posters here and on USCHO who write like they speak for all of us. And unlike some people here, I am not filled with anger and hate. I am not obsessed with the Gophers, Kessel, Paukovich, the refs, INCH, polls, etc. I simply like good college hockey.

Now I'll just sit back and see how I get ripped by some angry person for not being Green enough.

I don't know the full context of the comments in question, but my guess is that with a lot of things related to sports the seriousness has probably been overblown by some and under scrutinized by others. From an outsider's perspective one thing that perhaps adds fuel to this fire is the fact that Hakstol walked off the bench and UND got swept. You put it all together and it probably makes it all seem worse than it would have had it been isolated.

The problem is so much of what happens, happens in a fishbowl. Things get blown out of proportion, either by opposing fans who want to use every transgression as a reason to rip an opponent, and conversely supporters often exaggerate the positive to cast a positive light on their favorite team.

I think the two most important things to consider are this: 1. Hakstol's history. I don't think he has a poor history of poor sportsmanship (or whatever the accusation is in this matter) and 2. The future. If it doesn't happen again, this will soon be forgotten and people will be commenting again on wins and losses and not quotes in the newspaper.

Please, someone, show me where it is written that to be a fan of college hockey you have to like ref's, kessel, punkobitch, ect. Certain poster's have never liked the fact people have negative things to say about those topics, yet they come here OF THEIR OWN FREEWILL and keep whining about it. There, all those who are holier than thou can now go ahead and blast me (only I don't really care, in fact I rather enjoy it).

It is not fair to have our fan base judged by comments by a few. Unfortunately, negative comments about the refs, other teams, other coaches, other players, etc is rampant here. I'd like to think there are more of us out there who don't think like some of the main posters here and on USCHO who write like they speak for all of us. And unlike some people here, I am not filled with anger and hate. I am not obsessed with the Gophers, Kessel, Paukovich, the refs, INCH, polls, etc. I simply like good college hockey.

Agreed.

Well said. :)

I don't know the full context of the comments in question, but my guess is that with a lot of things related to sports the seriousness has probably been overblown by some and under scrutinized by others. From an outsider's perspective one thing that perhaps adds fuel to this fire is the fact that Hakstol walked off the bench and UND got swept. You put it all together and it probably makes it all seem worse than it would have had it been isolated.

The problem is so much of what happens, happens in a fishbowl. Things get blown out of proportion, either by opposing fans who want to use every transgression as a reason to rip an opponent, and conversely supporters often exaggerate the positive to cast a positive light on their favorite team.

I think the two most important things to consider are this: 1. Hakstol's history. I don't think he has a poor history of poor sportsmanship (or whatever the accusation is in this matter) and 2. The future. If it doesn't happen again, this will soon be forgotten and people will be commenting again on wins and losses and not quotes in the newspaper.

Slap Shot, normally I'd agree with you on this, but you seem to lead the charge on the accusations that are being talked about here. On USCHO you are one of the first to state that we are blaming the losses on the officiating when it is not true.

Like the Triouxper states, it is NOT at all bad to be dissatisfied with what the officials are bringing to the game. I was not satisfied with the performance of the officials and have not been for some time. There HAVE been well officiated games (UND vs UW earlier this season for example) but they are few and far between. That being said, I haven't read one post so far that states that we would have won if it weren't for the officials. We played like crap and we lost. I don't know what else to say!

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Both teams were very chippy throughout the game on friday night and when the Sioux were getting beat/embarassed they said enough with this and called them out, when confronted, the Maine player turtled to the ice.

Slap Shot, normally I'd agree with you on this, but you seem to lead the charge on the accusations that are being talked about here. On USCHO you are one of the first to state that we are blaming the losses on the officiating when it is not true.

As far as the 'blaming the refs' side of things, I didn't lead any charge at USCHO I had one exchange with that K23456WHATEVER guy for being a hypocrite.

More importantly, if you take the time to read my post above you'd note that it is in reference to people at USCHO (I believe mostly Maine fans) throwing Hakstol under the bus for whatever comments he made following a game last weekend. My point was that such comments typically get blown out of proportion by opposing fans wanting to use whatever they can to rip an opponent. My response was that Hakstol doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that is know for being a poor sport and in end these supposed comments shouldn't be used to try and paint an overall picture of him. In essence I was defending Hakstol.

slappy, you're a pot stirrer, here, there and everywhere. Don't try to sell us on the fact that now you are some kind of champion for truth and justice, that's hogwash.

Very true, and there is one other gpl/uscho poster who used to, a few years ago, just have fun on message boards (kinda like dirty). His posts are now almost exclusively very bitter rants about Sioux fans on message boards, halos, blame the refs, and that's about it. Not sure why he stopped having fun.

The internet has made fanbases more angry with each other than ever before.

[sigh]

Sprig - I'm a Gopher fan - you expect 100% hugs and kisses? :) That doesn't change the fact I defended Hak in that regard, have defended UND regarding their nickname, have defended RE over the whole Nazi b.s., among other issues. I'm not trying come off as a saint - I of course make mistakes but I am trying to imporove the rapport as much as I can. Rome wasn't built in a day... :D

Please, someone, show me where it is written that to be a fan of college hockey you have to like ref's, kessel, punkobitch, ect. Certain poster's have never liked the fact people have negative things to say about those topics, yet they come here OF THEIR OWN FREEWILL and keep whining about it. There, all those who are holier than thou can now go ahead and blast me (only I don't really care, in fact I rather enjoy it).

I like that response. I don't think I remember anyone saying refing caused the loss of the game. The play of the team lost the game for us. I think people were upset with the 29 penalties called during Friday nights game, that seems by anyone standards to be a high number.

I was upset with and obvious and blatant CFB by a Maine player that went uncalled, only to have our player thrown out of the game then later in the game, while the CFB by VV gets called. Consistancey is what I would like to see. I also think some might be upset it took 5 minutes of discussion to doyle out a penatly after the wistle.

I am not sure why people are making a big deal about Hakstol leaving the bench a little early, personally I don't see anything classless about that.

[sigh]

Sprig - I'm a Gopher fan - you expect 100% hugs and kisses? :) That doesn't change the fact I defended Hak in that regard, have defended UND regarding their nickname, have defended RE over the whole Nazi b.s., among other issues. I'm not trying come off as a saint - I of course make mistakes but I am trying to imporove the rapport as much as I can. Rome wasn't built in a day... :D

Everyone hug and grab a beer. I think we have beaten this one to death.

This message board is beginning to look like the Day Kos. Can we all just get along?

What Hakstol said about the Maine player is no different than what coaches were saying about Jeff Taffe a few years ago. Great player but a cheap shot. I didn't see either game, but I would tend to trust Hakstol's judgement based on his history. That said, it doesn't matter. They kicked our butts twice in our own house. Period.

What Hakstol said about the Maine player is no different than what coaches were saying about Jeff Taffe a few years ago. Great player but a cheap shot. I didn't see either game, but I would tend to trust Hakstol's judgement based on his history. That said, it doesn't matter. They kicked our butts twice in our own house. Period.

What did Taffe ever do? I honestly don't remember him ever being a hack. It certainly wasn't his reputation to be dirty. Just curious, what are you referring to exactly? Are you sure you're not thinking of Westrum? Now he was cheap.

Sure seems to have been a lot of speculation as to what Coach Hakstol "meant" when he told Tim H. that "No, I don't have to give him any credit. I don't like how he plays the game", in regards to Levielle. I didn't hear any references to "Toews" or "cheap shot" or anything even similar coming from Hakstol, or Henessey after that point. Did I miss something?

Maybe it will come up on the Coach's Show on Wednesday.

Sure seems to have been a lot of speculation as to what Coach Hakstol "meant" when he told Tim H. that "No, I don't have to give him any credit. I don't like how he plays the game", in regards to Levielle. I didn't hear any references to "Toews" or "cheap shot" or anything even similar coming from Hakstol, or Henessey after that point. Did I miss something?

Maybe it will come up on the Coach's Show on Wednesday.

I wonder if TH is going to want to ask that question? It could get pretty tense. I would love to see practice this weekend.

What did Taffe ever do? I honestly don't remember him ever being a hack. It certainly wasn't his reputation to be dirty. Just curious, what are you referring to exactly? Are you sure you're not thinking of Westrum? Now he was cheap.

Anyone one want to take this one?

Jeff