SiouxSports.com Forum

prospective recruits

UND92,96

I know Dale Lennon is a class act. I wish he would replace that idiot Kupchella you have as president. But is UND going to be able to compete with the Bison in recruiting this year?? I heard last year NDSU and UND went after nine of the same guys and NDSU got all nine. I am a Bison fan but I have to go for Lennon because he is first class, I hope you say the same for Coach Bohl.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of interesting that Brian McNeil, who played at West Fargo a couple of years ago and is just finishing up his second year at NDSCS, is getting a lot of attention as a potential I-A running back recruit. He was nowhere near Chappell's level in high school (both were 2005 grads) in terms of either speed or production. It kind of makes me wonder who'd be recruiting Chappell now had he gone the juco route?

It's kind of interesting that Brian McNeill, who played at West Fargo a couple of years ago and is just finishing up his second year at NDSCS, is getting a lot of attention as a potential I-A running back recruit. He was nowhere near Chappell's level in high school (both were 2005 grads) in terms of either speed or production. It kind of makes me wonder who'd be recruiting Chappell now had he gone the juco route?

McNeil graduated a year before Chappell. He was also less heralded because he didn't get to get big time carries until after Tyler Rohl left, so he was left with one season to show he was a star.

McNeil graduated a year before Chappell. He was also less heralded because he didn't get to get big time carries until after Tyler Rohl left, so he was left with one season to show he was a star.

Actually, I'm 99% positive McNeil and Chappell were both 2005 grads. I specifically remember both playing in the shrine and mon-dak bowls, and McNeil played corner because Chappell was the primary running back. I just assumed he would end up playing defense in college, so it really surprised me when I heard recently that not only was he playing running back, but that he was potentially going to get a scholarship to a I-A school.

Actually, I'm 99% positive McNeil and Chappell were both 2005 grads. I specifically remember both playing in the shrine and mon-dak bowls, and McNeil played corner because Chappell was the primary running back. I just assumed he would end up playing defense in college, so it really surprised me when I heard recently that not only was he playing running back, but that he was potentially going to get a scholarship to a I-A school.

Good call, my bad.

Running the show: Father's legacy helped O'Keefe lead Roncalli

Aberdeen Roncalli quarterback and safety Dan O'Keefe is this year's Elite 45 captain after helping the Cavaliers capture consecutive Class 11B state championships. The 6-foot-3 senior is a two-time Joe Robbie MVP award winner whose father died of a heart attack in 1995. "I know that he's looking down on me," O'Keefe said.
O'Keefe is being recruited for defense, and he's looking hard at Northern State, North Dakota, Augustana and South Dakota State. As a safety, he recorded 28 tackles this season and had eight interceptions, returning two for touchdowns.

I know Dale Lennon is a class act. I wish he would replace that idiot Kupchella you have as president. But is UND going to be able to compete with the Bison in recruiting this year?? I heard last year NDSU and UND went after nine of the same guys and NDSU got all nine. I am a Bison fan but I have to go for Lennon because he is first class, I hope you say the same for Coach Bohl.

No doubt that Lennon is a good coach. As far as recruiting, I think that NDSU will get the most highly-recruited athletes for at least the next 5 yrs. Why? NDSU is 1 year away from being playoff eligible while UND won't be until 2011 at the least. Also, the NDSU program is finally back on the rise and with the narrow loss to Minnesota, recruits will notice that. The weekend that NDSU played the Gophers to a one point loss, 15 of the 20 recruits that NDSU brought to the game verballed afterwords. That is a big deal. We are talking about guys that were recruited by most Big 10 schools, most MAC schools and some PAC-10 and Big 12 schools. Guys that would have NEVER thought of coming to NDSU othertwise. I have no doubt that UND can also recruit such athletes but I am afraid that they are behind the 8 ball by a minimum of 5-8 yrs in FB alone.

No doubt that Lennon is a good coach. As far as recruiting, I think that NDSU will get the most highly-recruited athletes for at least the next 5 yrs. Why? NDSU is 1 year away from being playoff eligible while UND won't be until 2011 at the least. Also, the NDSU program is finally back on the rise and with the narrow loss to Minnesota, recruits will notice that. The weekend that NDSU played the Gophers to a one point loss, 15 of the 20 recruits that NDSU brought to the game verballed afterwords. That is a big deal. We are talking about guys that were recruited by most Big 10 schools, most MAC schools and some PAC-10 and Big 12 schools. Guys that would have NEVER thought of coming to NDSU othertwise. I have no doubt that UND can also recruit such athletes but I am afraid that they are behind the 8 ball by a minimum of 5-8 yrs in FB alone.

The Gophers are able to recruit good athletes that have went to Big 10 schools.

And they nearly lost to a team that was not even eligible for DIAA playoffs because they just came out of Division II.

Getting recruits that were recruited by other "bigger and better" schools, doesn't mean squat. See example above.

Where does the info that NDSU has 15 verbal committments come from?? So far they have Eddie Beeson, Austin Richard, Garrett Johnson, and who are the 12 others? Bohl is on record as saying they are shooting for the stars with the remaining scholarships (which isn't very many), so they will most likely not get very many verbals until pretty late in the process as kids wait for larger schools to offer. Who are these mysterious 5 star verbals that no one in the media, not even Steve Hallstrom, knows about? 15 verbals is and out and out lie. They most likely won't even SIGN 15. And if NDSU does "win the recruiting war", that really doesn't mean a whole lot. Remember how Babich used to claim how he got every single player he wanted. If that is how it continues to work, I'll gladly take the continuous massacres in the recruiting war that UND takes.

SP Pioneer-Press: Blake Sczepanski

Going back to the seventh grade, Blake Sczepanski has not lost a football game. In high school, the streak reached 54 games without a loss Friday. Sczepanski carried 32 times for 171 yards and two touchdowns to lift Stephen-Argyle to a 14-0 record this season and its fourth consecutive nine-man championship with a 42-15 victory over Wheaton in Prep Bowl XXV. A senior who also played linebacker, it was his final high school game. I asked Sczepanski about the streak and a few other things, too.
BS Do you want to play college football?

BBSc I'll play. I have a few places in mind. I'm thinking Division I-AA or Division II. I'm thinking about North Dakota State, North Dakota and St. Cloud State.

Marshall Independent: Falk

In the heat of the summer, Tony Falk worked to improve his game. The senior from Murray County Central attended a football camp at the University of North Dakota. It was at Grand Forks where Falk, the Independent's 2006 Player of the Year, proved he could hold his own on the field. 'I was nervous, but I learned I could play with a lot of people,' he said. 'It was comforting that I could play with them. I didn't have to be nervous. I could be calm and play my game.'
He averaged 10 yards a carry in leading the area with 1,922 yards rushing and 22 touchdowns this fall. ...

Falk racked up 215 all-purpose yards a game and led the area in scoring with 162 points. Running a 4.5 in the 40, he was a threat returning kickoffs.

He's received recruiting letters from Big 10 schools Minnesota and Wisconsin, in addition to several Division II schools.

'I got stuff from the Gophers,' Falk said. 'They sent me a couple of letters. So did Wisconsin. They give you stuff, but it's not serious. It's nice getting stuff like that, but I'll be more realistic and look at D-II schools.'

The list of Division II schools recruiting him includes St. Cloud, North Dakota, South Dakota, Augustana and Northern State.

I saw Brackins play at East Grand Forks a few weeks ago. He gained over 400 yards rushing and scored 6 touchdowns and 3 2-pt conversions. I believe those 400 yards were on around 30 attempts. He seemed to be very fast, though not amazing. Senior High simply wasn't tackling or keying on him. Not sure why.

However, in I-Falls playoff loss to Proctor he was held to something like 40 yards on 18 carries.

In addition to possibly playing college football, rumor has it that Brackins also has some additional family obligations to take care of in a few months. If he wants to play football I hope he can find a balance with this and family!

NDSU still has a big advantage this year because they should have more money (63>36). They will maintain an advantage for another 4-5 years because of the play-offs.

I think you mistake kids getting a letter from the PAC -10, Big-10, and Big-12 with being recruited. If they are offered scholarships from a D1A school that means it is a full ride. There are not 15 kids who committed to NDSU then or now who are turning down scholarships at the big schools. That is nothing against NDSU, it is just reality. Also doesn't mean the kids are good recruits. UND's maintains the academic advantage and will have a lot more scholarship money after this years class because of the move to D1.

Both schools will continue to do well because of the tradition of the programs and the quality of education they can get. NDSU will need to transition through a new coach when Bohl leaves. This may or may not be the year. Because of those factors I think the advantage might not be as big as some think. Time will tell.

I'm sure UND will be all over this kid, but it will probably come down to whether he gets offered by I-A schools, or even playoff-eligible I-AA's, i.e. NDSU. The Mannasau connection will only help UND's cause.

If anybody gets a chance to watch the Minnesota high school games today at the Alerus, I would be interested to hear some opinions on the TRF running back, Michael Benedict. He's put up some impressive numbers (158 carries for 1,574 yards and 17 td's). I know there's also a big offensive lineman for TRF that UND has shown interest in.

I'm also still wondering which schools are after Solum from Fargo South. I would think UND would have a good shot at him.

The Benedict kid is tough as nails with good speed. I don't know what kind of 40 time he has but he is also a very good hockey player although undersized. He is very strong. The TRF lineman mentioned elsewhere on this thread is a project. He doesn't seem to punish opponents like he could. His footwork is OK but needs to get better. He leans on kids rather than drive them and doesn't explode off of the line of scrimmage. He won't get away with that in college. The wrestler who was hurt part of the year was a better HS player and Mumm said he was their best lineman. He was about 6' with spikes on and 270 lbs. He is one of the best heavyweights in the state.

From SC Times All-Area football team;

Seth Noreen

6-6, 235 sr. DL, St. Cloud Apollo

Teams ran away from him ... Credited with 30 tackles and two quarterback sacks at defensive end ... As a tight end, caught 19 passes for 302 yards and 3 TDs on a 1-8 team ... Three-year starter had 25 catches for 491 yards and 5 TDs as a junior and 19 catches for 364 yards and 2 TDs as a sophomore ... Career numbers: 45 receptions, 1,157 yards, 10 TDs, 25.7 yards per catch ... All-Central Lakes Conference, all-area ... All-area basketball player ... Coaching staff credited him with 20 pancake blocks in 2006 ... Also Apollo

From SC Times All-Area football team;

Seth Noreen

6-6, 235 sr. DL, St. Cloud Apollo

Teams ran away from him ... Credited with 30 tackles and two quarterback sacks at defensive end ... As a tight end, caught 19 passes for 302 yards and 3 TDs on a 1-8 team ... Three-year starter had 25 catches for 491 yards and 5 TDs as a junior and 19 catches for 364 yards and 2 TDs as a sophomore ... Career numbers: 45 receptions, 1,157 yards, 10 TDs, 25.7 yards per catch ... All-Central Lakes Conference, all-area ... All-area basketball player ... Coaching staff credited him with 20 pancake blocks in 2006 ... Also Apollo

why are we even debating possible recruits? don't you all know, UND will never get any recruits because of the lackluster broadcast of games. ndsu and their two games that were broadcast this year will draw more recruits than UND could ever think of having. :silly:

why are we even debating possible recruits? don't you all know, UND will never get any recruits because of the lackluster broadcast of games. ndsu and their two games that were broadcast this year will draw more recruits than UND could ever think of having. :huh:

I thought they got all the recruits they ever needed by losing to a really crappy MInnesota team? :glare:

This on DeAngelo Brackins, who was named the Duluth News Tribune Player of the Year

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/...;section=Sports

Brackins, who turns 18 today, says he has been contacted by Division I-AA universities North Dakota State and Northern Iowa, and several Division II schools, including Minnesota Duluth, Minnesota State-Mankato and North Dakota. Brackins says the latter, which is planning a move up to Division I-AA, is open to the idea of him playing football and basketball.