SiouxSports.com Forum

prospective recruits

UND92,96

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Any more news on prospective sioux recruits? Is UND going to be more competitive with NDSU this season? Lets get some discussion going.

Thanks.

Much as I hate to say it, UND probably won't be competitive with NDSU for the top in-state/area recruits for probably 3-5 years. Once UND increases its scholarships to the point where full rides are offered, it will help, but until the period of playoff ineligibility is close to being over, things will be tough.

Much as I hate to say it, UND probably won't be competitive with NDSU for the top in-state/area recruits for probably 3-5 years. Once UND increases its scholarships to the point where full rides are offered, it will help, but until the period of playoff ineligibility is close to being over, things will be tough.

Yea, that is about what I thought. Lets hope that the recruiters find some hidden jems.

Yea, that is about what I thought. Lets hope that the recruiters find some hidden jems.

I do think UND will probably be "stealing" some good players who may have previously gone to schools like SCSU, Mankato, UNO, etc. It will be the same advantage that NDSU currently has over UND in terms of increased scholarships and the opportunity to (hopefully) play some I-A teams in a few years.

What is the feeling out in there? Is UND going to be as good of a football team next year as this year? Or will we be down because of the impending playoff ineligebility? We will have an untested Q-back (likely) but our running game should be alright, I think.

That is a very good question.

While I have great confidence in our coaching staff putting a quality team on the field year-in and year-out, I do have some real concerns about next year. We routinely rotate in a lot of underclassmen at many positions (primarily on defense); however, we have a bunch of very talented seniors. They will be difficult to replace. An inexperienced QB is a concern but we have had this situation quite a few times over the last 15-20 years and we have many pleasant surprises with a new QB's ability and performance.

I have no idea how much talent there is among the current redshirt freshmen. I know we lost a lost of kids we really wanted to SU. But there may be some very good players coming up who will fill some of these holes.

That is a very good question.

While I have great confidence in our coaching staff putting a quality team on the field year-in and year-out, I do have some real concerns about next year. We routinely rotate in a lot of underclassmen at many positions (primarily on defense); however, we have a bunch of very talented seniors. They will be difficult to replace. An inexperienced QB is a concern but we have had this situation quite a few times over the last 15-20 years and we have many pleasant surprises with a new QB's ability and performance.

I have no idea how much talent there is among the current redshirt freshmen. I know we lost a lost of kids we really wanted to SU. But there may be some very good players coming up who will fill some of these holes.

The offense looks very good, aside from the uncertainty at quarterback. Freund's high school credentials are extremely impressive, but whether that translates into success at the college level remains to be seen. Special teams look very good with Halfmann, Hellevang, Dressler and Chappell coming back. I believe both long snappers return, also. Defensively, my concern is at a couple of the linebacker positions. Personally, I think UND should consider signing a juco player or two unless some of the younger kids are expected to be very good. The d-line loses Wolff and Enger, but I think that will be fine as there are some good younger players there who are playing a lot this year. The secondary should be good with Alexander a three-year starter and Manke, Malner and Otto all playing a lot this year.

I think that if whomever the quarterback is going to be can play fairly well, next year's team as the potential to be very good.

The Mpls Star-Tribune had an article yesterday about the Cretin-Derham QB named Joe Springer. I wonder iF UND has seen this kid, since it look like the D-1 schools aren't all over him. The CDH coaches compares him to a pretty good athlete.

Also The International Falls running back I was talking about has rushed for over 1,200 yards in his last 4 games.

Scanlan said the only other Cretin-Derham Hall player who has put up numbers comparable to Springer's is Joe Mauer, the current Twins catcher. For that reason, the coach doesn't understand why Springer has attracted interest only from lower-level Division I schools so far.

This is what the I Falls running back has did the last four games. Better get Schmidt up to his old stomping grounds to recruit.

International Falls football coach Stu Nordquist, in his 32nd season leading the Broncos, has never seen anything like what DeAngelo Brackins has done the past four games.

Brackins, a 5-11, 205-pound senior, has rushed for 1,250 yards, scored 22 touchdowns and 17 two-point conversions in those games, all victories

This is what the I Falls running back has did the last four games. Better get Schmidt up to his old stomping grounds to recruit.

International Falls football coach Stu Nordquist, in his 32nd season leading the Broncos, has never seen anything like what DeAngelo Brackins has done the past four games.

Brackins, a 5-11, 205-pound senior, has rushed for 1,250 yards, scored 22 touchdowns and 17 two-point conversions in those games, all victories

I'm sure UND will be all over this kid, but it will probably come down to whether he gets offered by I-A schools, or even playoff-eligible I-AA's, i.e. NDSU. The Mannasau connection will only help UND's cause.

If anybody gets a chance to watch the Minnesota high school games today at the Alerus, I would be interested to hear some opinions on the TRF running back, Michael Benedict. He's put up some impressive numbers (158 carries for 1,574 yards and 17 td's). I know there's also a big offensive lineman for TRF that UND has shown interest in.

I'm also still wondering which schools are after Solum from Fargo South. I would think UND would have a good shot at him.

None of that matters if he was given the ball 4,000 times?

What about the rest of the season besides the past 4 games?

Why have they went for 2 pt conversion 17 times the last four games?

The real indication is Average Yards per Carry. The rest is water under the bridge.

None of that matters if he was given the ball 4,000 times?

What about the rest of the season besides the past 4 games?

Why have they went for 2 pt conversion 17 times the last four games?

The real indication is Average Yards per Carry. The rest is water under the bridge.

I saw Brackins play at East Grand Forks a few weeks ago. He gained over 400 yards rushing and scored 6 touchdowns and 3 2-pt conversions. I believe those 400 yards were on around 30 attempts. He seemed to be very fast, though not amazing. Senior High simply wasn't tackling or keying on him. Not sure why.

However, in I-Falls playoff loss to Proctor he was held to something like 40 yards on 18 carries.

There should be a number of potential recruits playing in the Alerus on Friday. In addition to Catlin Solum, some AAA players to watch will be Jordan Vadnais from South, a 6'4", 305 pound offensive lineman, Tyson Schatz, a Minot running back, and Dan Hendrickson, a Minot linebacker. I'm not as familiar with the 9-man, A and AA players this year.

If anybody gets a chance to watch the Minnesota high school games today at the Alerus, I would be interested to hear some opinions on the TRF running back, Michael Benedict. He's put up some impressive numbers (158 carries for 1,574 yards and 17 td's). I know there's also a big offensive lineman for TRF that UND has shown interest in.

I was at the Alerus and saw all four games. I am thinking that Blake Sczepankski (pronounced Sha-pan-ski) would look great in the Sioux secondary. 6'1" & 195 witha great knowlege of the game.

Which big offensive lineman from TRF at the Sioux looking at? I am curious if it is the BlackLance kid. OT - 6'6" and about 310. His dad played for Bemidji state in the 80's and his uncle played with myself (or should I say on my football team). He's a big kid but seemed to do a lot of hand-slapping of shoulder pads on the LB's and secondary during the game. I imagine the Sioux coaches could easily teach him much better technique. The thing that might become a small PR item with Andrew is the fact the he is part Chippewa and part Sioux. I could see the PC people accusing UND of getting a recruit just because he is a Native American Sioux.

I know one of the coaches from Proctor (Beat I-Falls last weekend). I am wondering how good he thought Brackins from I-Falls was last weekend.

I was at the Alerus and saw all four games. I am thinking that Blake Sczepankski (pronounced Sha-pan-ski) would look great in the Sioux secondary. 6'1" & 195 witha great knowlege of the game.

Which big offensive lineman from TRF at the Sioux looking at? I am curious if it is the BlackLance kid. OT - 6'6" and about 310. His dad played for Bemidji state in the 80's and his uncle played with myself (or should I say on my football team). He's a big kid but seemed to do a lot of hand-slapping of shoulder pads on the LB's and secondary during the game. I imagine the Sioux coaches could easily teach him much better technique. The thing that might become a small PR item with Andrew is the fact the he is part Chippewa and part Sioux. I could see the PC people accusing UND of getting a recruit just because he is a Native American Sioux.

I know one of the coaches from Proctor (Beat I-Falls last weekend). I am wondering how good he thought Brackins from I-Falls was last weekend.

There was an article in the Herald about TRF football several weeks ago in which it said that UND and NDSU, among others, had shown interest in BlackLance.

I know Dale Lennon is a class act. I wish he would replace that idiot Kupchella you have as president. But is UND going to be able to compete with the Bison in recruiting this year?? I heard last year NDSU and UND went after nine of the same guys and NDSU got all nine. I am a Bison fan but I have to go for Lennon because he is first class, I hope you say the same for Coach Bohl.

I know Dale Lennon is a class act. I wish he would replace that idiot Kupchella you have as president. But is UND going to be able to compete with the Bison in recruiting this year?? I heard last year NDSU and UND went after nine of the same guys and NDSU got all nine. I am a Bison fan but I have to go for Lennon because he is first class, I hope you say the same for Coach Bohl.

Your a bison fan, I never would have guessed it :D. UND appears to be doing just fine right now.

Are we really going to get into the Chapman vs. Kupchella crap again? Please, I'd rather not have this thread closed.

And Lennon is a football coach. He has about as much of a chance at UND's Presidency as Bohl has a chance at heading up North Dakota's Department of Education. :D