SiouxSports.com Forum

prospective recruits

UND92,96

You need to email our AD...because in the GF Herald he said that they will be able to give more partial scholarships to prospective student athletes...the boss doesnt know partials are not allowed in D1???

NDSU still has a big advantage this year because they should have more money (63>36). They will maintain an advantage for another 4-5 years because of the play-offs.

I think you mistake kids getting a letter from the PAC -10, Big-10, and Big-12 with being recruited. If they are offered scholarships from a D1A school that means it is a full ride. There are not 15 kids who committed to NDSU then or now who are turning down scholarships at the big schools. That is nothing against NDSU, it is just reality. Also doesn't mean the kids are good recruits. UND's maintains the academic advantage and will have a lot more scholarship money after this years class because of the move to D1.

Both schools will continue to do well because of the tradition of the programs and the quality of education they can get. NDSU will need to transition through a new coach when Bohl leaves. This may or may not be the year. Because of those factors I think the advantage might not be as big as some think. Time will tell.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to email our AD...because in the GF Herald he said that they will be able to give more partial scholarships to prospective student athletes...the boss doesnt know partials are not allowed in D1???

NDSU still has a big advantage this year because they should have more money (63>36). They will maintain an advantage for another 4-5 years because of the play-offs.

ndsu can offer partial scholarships. only bowl eligible teams can't offer partials.

DI-FBS: 85 scholarships/no partials allowed

DI-FCS: 63 scholarships to 85 players

In DI, partial scholarships are not allowed in FBS football, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, women's tennis, and women's gymnastics. Why? I have no friggin clue. Sports that only allow full scholarships are called 'head-count sports' while the others are called 'equivalency sports'.

• 2 weeks later...

From the St Cloud Times

Times football player of the year Matt Veldman was told this week that the University of Minnesota will not offer him a scholarship. Veldman, a two-way end from Becker, got the news straight from assistant coach Gordy Shaw at his home.

"We were kind of shocked," said Gregg Veldman, Matt's dad.

Veldman still hasn't made an official recruiting trip, but has North Dakota, North Dakota State, St. John's and St. Cloud State on his list.

Matt Veldman visited St. John's, met with John Gagliardi and was impressed.

Can't win them all I guess.

Lee Pathan commits to Western Michigan

“Western Michigan was my first choice,” said Pethan, who is averaging 20 points and 11 rebounds per game on Hilbert's basketball team this season. “I visited Northern Illinois and planned to go to Connecticut and North Dakota. But once Western Michigan made the offer, I didn't want to visit the other two.”

If nothing else, it is reassuring that UND is going head-to-head with Division I-A schools and still having a chance.

On the Wisconsin Preps website, I learned of a few players UND has been looking at. I have no idea whether they have received offers from us.

Andy Lanser TE/DE 6'4", 230 Sheboygan South

Matt Harrington OL 6'4", 320 Plymouth (Great West teams are after him)

Mike Garman QB/LB 6'2" 250 Lake Mills Huge QB prospect

Geoff Stuhr WR/KR 5'10" 175 Franklin Star of undefeated Div. 2 champions

Nick Klomstad WR/DE 6'7" 210 Pewaukee Also a good basketball player

Duane Butler OL/DL 6'2" 270 Milwaukee Custer

Bryan Schmid OG/DE 6'3" 235 Menasha

Cody Rose QB/S 6'4" 185 Elmwood

On the Wisconsin Preps website, I learned of a few players UND has been looking at. I have no idea whether they have received offers from us.

Andy Lanser TE/DE 6'4", 230 Sheboygan South

Matt Harrington OL 6'4", 320 Plymouth (Great West teams are after him)

Mike Garman QB/LB 6'2" 250 Lake Mills Huge QB prospect

Geoff Stuhr WR/KR 5'10" 175 Franklin Star of undefeated Div. 2 champions

Nick Klomstad WR/DE 6'7" 210 Pewaukee Also a good basketball player

Duane Butler OL/DL 6'2" 270 Milwaukee Custer

Bryan Schmid OG/DE 6'3" 235 Menasha

Cody Rose QB/S 6'4" 185 Elmwood

I wonder if the Lanser kid isn't Mike Lanser's son. Mike (Lurch) Lanser was a D-lineman who played for UND in the late 1970's.

I can't vouch for the credibility of this information, but a poster on the northdakotapreps.com board who apparently has some ties to the Fargo South program posted that UND has a good shot at landing Catlin Solum, who was the Gatorade player of the year in ND. Some people say he's actually going to play baseball in college instead of football, but if he does choose football, I think he could be a good player for the Sioux. I think he has some Dressler-esque qualities, although not as fast.

I can't vouch for the credibility of this information, but a poster on the northdakotapreps.com board who apparently has some ties to the Fargo South program posted that UND has a good shot at landing Catlin Solum, who was the Gatorade player of the year in ND. Some people say he's actually going to play baseball in college instead of football, but if he does choose football, I think he could be a good player for the Sioux. I think he has some Dressler-esque qualities, although not as fast.

Solum would be a good D-2 player, today, right now. However, is he a top I-AA recruit? In contrast, Dressler's speed alone makes him a valuable I-AA player, but as you wrote, Solum doesn't have that type of speed. By the time Solum is a junior or senior he may work himself into a solid position on a I-AA roster, but is he a guy you go after hard and offer a full ride to as a Frosh? If I had the money and need, I'd offer a partial, nothing more, IMHO.

Solum would be a good D-2 player, today, right now. However, is he a top I-AA recruit? In contrast, Dressler's speed alone makes him a valuable I-AA player, but as you wrote, Solum doesn't have that type of speed. By the time Solum is a junior or senior he may work himself into a solid position on a I-AA roster, but is he a guy you go after hard and offer a full ride to as a Frosh? If I had the money and need, I'd offer a partial, nothing more, IMHO.

Regardless of whether UND is dII or I-AA, I think Solum has the potential to be a player. I don't believe he'd be offered more than a partial at this point for the simple reason that UND will still be at 36 for another year, and as such a freshman would have to be really exceptional to warrant a full. Speed is certainly important, but a kid doesn't have to have Chappell or Dressler speed to be effective. Solum's speed is comparable to Kyle Steffes's coming out of high school. I'm not saying Solum is going to be as good as Steffes turned out to be. The point is that a kid doesn't have to be state recordholder in the sprints to become a very effective skill position player at the I-AA level.

Regardless of whether UND is dII or I-AA, I think Solum has the potential to be a player. I don't believe he'd be offered more than a partial at this point for the simple reason that UND will still be at 36 for another year, and as such a freshman would have to be really exceptional to warrant a full. Speed is certainly important, but a kid doesn't have to have Chappell or Dressler speed to be effective. Solum's speed is comparable to Kyle Steffes's coming out of high school. I'm not saying Solum is going to be as good as Steffes turned out to be. The point is that a kid doesn't have to be state recordholder in the sprints to become a very effective skill position player at the I-AA level.

Agreed. But I also think we are in agreement that to earn a full scholarship at a I-AA right out of high school, vs earning one by your Jr or Sr year of college, you need better speed than Solum has right now. Solum is in a tough spot. He doesn't have the size to be a 25-30 carry/game back, but doesn't have Dressler speed either. That limits his D-1 possibilities. The difficult decision becomes: Do you look for a full ride at a D-2 school, or accept a partial/walk on at a D-1 and earn a ride in a couple years? That of course is totally aside from any acedemic criteria that can change the equation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea to what extent he's being recruited, if at all, but I believe there's a kid from the Adams-Edmore area named Nick Bylin who's about 6'5", 265 lbs., and who's also a good basketball player. I know a lot of coaches like offensive lineman prospects who are athletic enough to play other sports so he might be somebody to watch for on signing day.

I was at the Alerus and saw all four games. I am thinking that Blake Sczepankski (pronounced Sha-pan-ski) would look great in the Sioux secondary. 6'1" & 195 witha great knowlege of the game.

Which big offensive lineman from TRF at the Sioux looking at? I am curious if it is the BlackLance kid. OT - 6'6" and about 310. His dad played for Bemidji state in the 80's and his uncle played with myself (or should I say on my football team). He's a big kid but seemed to do a lot of hand-slapping of shoulder pads on the LB's and secondary during the game. I imagine the Sioux coaches could easily teach him much better technique. The thing that might become a small PR item with Andrew is the fact the he is part Chippewa and part Sioux. I could see the PC people accusing UND of getting a recruit just because he is a Native American Sioux.

I know one of the coaches from Proctor (Beat I-Falls last weekend). I am wondering how good he thought Brackins from I-Falls was last weekend.

Sczepanski just verballed to NDSU. Heard it on WDAY tonight.