SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

HockeyMom

Trust me Scotty Bowman would not help against Ohio or Minnesota. We might get some points off Bemidji. St. Cloud will be tough.

A word of caution to HockeyMom- if you keep calling for the changing of the head coach that fellow in Twamley might stop blaming last years Senior players for all the problems with the program and put the burden on you!

Keep up the support for the girls and hopefully things will get sorted out.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
This hasn't been brought up in a couple of weeks, but when is Buning going to pull the plug on Rivard? UND started out the year with 2 wins at RPI, since then the ladies have lost 10 straight, six of which have been shut-outs.

Women's Hockey Schedule

Is the end near for her??

The end should have been last season, but unfortunately Rivard will keep her job for a while longer.

I am optimistic that this weekend we will get some WCHA points. Go Sioux!

WCHA Stats for 8 Games;

60 Power Play Opportunities- 0 Goals

2 Goals scored- .25 Goals/Game

Quotes from Coaching Staff at the end of last years season after hanging most of the blame on the Seniors;

3/27/06 Dakota Student-

There are two positives to be seen from all of this:

1. Next season could be better.

2. They can't get any worse than they already are.

I hate to read that about ANY Fighting Sioux team. Hopefully the girls stay positive, and I know that's not an easy thing to do when you are working hard, and not getting the win.

We heard this same thing last year though from a lot of people.

You missed the word could. If I was an optimist, which I tend not to be, I would have used the term will ???

Hockeymom- I know. :silly: I'm not belittling the ladies themselves. It would be ridiculous to say that they go out there and try to lose. They play their hardest and that's all I ask of them. I just think that the direction they are headed isn't the right one.

You missed the word could. If I was an optimist, which I tend not to be, I would have used the term will ???

Hockeymom- I know. :silly: I'm not belittling the ladies themselves. It would be ridiculous to say that they go out there and try to lose. They play their hardest and that's all I ask of them. I just think that the direction they are headed isn't the right one.

It has been a very tough schedule so far for a very young team. Would have hoped that Maine would have ended better. Interesting to see UCONN come in with a near perfect record and lose 5-1 and 2-0 to Ohio State.It truly is a tough conference. Also interesting to see the Mavericks down UMD. Need to see a big effort down the home stretch to Christmas.

It has been a very tough schedule so far for a very young team.... It truly is a tough conference.

And we are going to see the same type of schedule year after year. And the conference is never going to get any easier. It is the coaches responsability to find a way to start to win and grow the program. We are now in her fifth year and we really haven't seen any growth yet. If Rivard hasn't seen the other WCHA teams enough to figure out a way to win a few games yet, I think it is time we give someone else a try to figure it out.

You missed the word could. If I was an optimist, which I tend not to be, I would have used the term will ;)

Hockeymom- I know. :D I'm not belittling the ladies themselves. It would be ridiculous to say that they go out there and try to lose. They play their hardest and that's all I ask of them. I just think that the direction they are headed isn't the right one.

It is clear that the talent isn't in place. You would think the REA would be a great way to get recruits in but that hasn't been the case. Bring in a couple blue chip recruits and the tide turns and UND women join the men at the top. Until then don't be surprised to see some lopsided games because talent wise UND isn't close YET.

I'm on the outside looking in, but have talked to a couple people closer to the scene, and can read the scoresheet for myself.

A new program should be able to progress, not regress over the first few years. The best players shouldn't be leaving early unless it's a men's program. There's obviously a serious problem, and it appears to be at the top.

You can criticize a coach and still support the program. I don't live in GF, I've been to 1 women's game in the 1 weekend I get to GF most years. I'd go again if the team was good and scheduling worked out. But I don't see any excuse for how pathetic the program is this year. And how else can you describe it, really?

I'm on the outside looking in, but have talked to a couple people closer to the scene, and can read the scoresheet for myself.

A new program should be able to progress, not regress over the first few years. The best players shouldn't be leaving early unless it's a men's program. There's obviously a serious problem, and it appears to be at the top.

You can criticize a coach and still support the program. I don't live in GF, I've been to 1 women's game in the 1 weekend I get to GF most years. I'd go again if the team was good and scheduling worked out. But I don't see any excuse for how pathetic the program is this year. And how else can you describe it, really?

Womens hockey is (right now) just a TINY blip on the UND Athletics radar...they have bigger fish to fry right now. Even if the program was a contender - they'd only be drawing 2000 max (not enough to pay for the program) so they'll bite the bullet for now...

Rivard should start polishing her resume because she will be gone...but not before the end of this season.

I'm never a fan of mid-season coach firings at any level because of the buy out that is usually associated in contracts. If we're going to pay him/her anyways, might as well ride it out and then part ways when the season is over.

Rivard's last year won't be her best, but maybe she can catch on somewhere else as an assistant coach.

But I don't see any excuse for how pathetic the program is this year. And how else can you describe it, really?

I haven't been posting for quite a while, b/c I figured if I couldn't say something positive and constructive I should just keep my comments off line. But I've seen an couple games and have this to offer...for what it's worth.

I really have to question to direction Rivard has taken with this team in regards to recruting. I watched her new talent, and I had to ask myself, how many of these girls are even D1 hockey athletes. Were any of these girls even recruted by anyone else. I really have my doubts. The only player that I know of is one of their strong defencemen. Was this Rivard...or was it Colintino, that I don't know, but wow, they just don't seem to have the strength of the talent.

Also, the girls just have to get over the teams problems, if they really were D1 athelets they would be playing inspite of the poor leadership...like the girls in the past! I don't think it'll be long before the AD gives the coach her walking ticket...but are these girls really going to be ready for it. Who will be blamed for their lack of talent next. It's pretty sad when a walk on is doing as well as a top recruit!

Sorry, not a positive post but this is just so frustrating. They have gone backwards, and I keep going to games trying to see progression, but I just don't. Maybe I should stop going for a while.

I haven't been posting for quite a while, b/c I figured if I couldn't say something positive and constructive I should just keep my comments off line. But I've seen an couple games and have this to offer...for what it's worth.

I really have to question to direction Rivard has taken with this team in regards to recruting. I watched her new talent, and I had to ask myself, how many of these girls are even D1 hockey athletes. Were any of these girls even recruted by anyone else. I really have my doubts. The only player that I know of is one of their strong defencemen. Was this Rivard...or was it Colintino, that I don't know, but wow, they just don't seem to have the strength of the talent.

Also, the girls just have to get over the teams problems, if they really were D1 athelets they would be playing inspite of the poor leadership...like the girls in the past! I don't think it'll be long before the AD gives the coach her walking ticket...but are these girls really going to be ready for it. Who will be blamed for their lack of talent next. It's pretty sad when a walk on is doing as well as a top recruit!

Sorry, not a positive post but this is just so frustrating. They have gone backwards, and I keep going to games trying to see progression, but I just don't. Maybe I should stop going for a while.

I tend to agree. :0 There is talent on this team. I question the coaching staff. :D No comments from the coaching staff in the media. No plans to right the ship. The fan support was bad today and IMHO, there were more SCSU fans than UND fans. :lol:

IMHO, the staff is coasting into the rest of the season. Maybe UND/ AD needs to send a

message. ???