SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-Bison in 2008?

UND92,96

This is the way I know it to be (tell me where I'm wrong):

2006: UND is DII, they can go to the DII playoffs

2007: experimental year, UND is DII, they can go to the DII playoffs (analogous to NDSU in 2003)

2008: year 1 of transition, UND is a DI counter if they schedule a certain number of DI games (NDSU in 2004)

2009: year 2 of transition (NDSU in 2005)

2010: year 3 of transition (NDSU in 2006)

2011: year 4 of transition (NDSU in 2007)

2012: DI non core member (NDSU in 2008)

2020: DI core member (NDSU in 2016)

You are correct with two tiny quibbles:

1. It should be exploratory, not experimental and (to be really picky) reclassification, not transition

2. The "certain number of DI games" is a minimum of 9 games with >50% of the total being DI(i.e. 10 total needs 6 DI)

Other terminology changes: "non core member" should be "active member" and "core member" should be "core institution".

Sorry for being so anal, but I've been in the NCAA manual so much it's seeped into my brain.

So, corrected version:

2006: UND is DII, they can go to the DII playoffs

2007: exploratory year, UND is DII, they can go to the DII playoffs (analogous to NDSU in 2003)

2008: year 1 of the reclassification, UND must play 9 games and will be a DI counter if >50% of the total are DI (NDSU in 2004)

2009: year 2 of the reclassification, >50% of the games must be DI (NDSU in 2005)

2010: year 3 of the reclassification (NDSU in 2006)

2011: year 4 of the reclassification (NDSU in 2007)

2012: DI active member (NDSU in 2008)

2020: DI core institution (NDSU in 2016)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a conference that lost their ONLY recognizable member (Valpo) - Great! That allowed you the crack in the door to get in...CONGRATS :lol::lol: I find in VERY INTERESTING you'd drop your pants (ie membership in the MidCon) to get into the Gateway. There are threads talking about that exact scenario on "another board"

NO ONE is choking on your "trail-dust" right now...if anything...I'd say UND is right on the same track as another school who left DII several years ago...THE DIFFERENCE? We'll go out, ON TOP, hopefully challenging for another National Championship!! If only you guys could have gone out on top :D:love:

Not sure I follow you. The Gateway is an all football conference so if we "dropped our pants" for the Gateway we would still be part of the Mid-Con. It would mean an exit from the Great West Football conference.

Either way, I think SiouxMeNow and nd1sufan are both in bad taste.

In any context, the term "SIOUX SUCK" is not appreciated. Maybe it's only not appreciated by me, but it is still unappreciated.

And yes, I do hope NDSU beats Ball State.

And lastly, people that come on this board from NDSU like GoBison127 aren't that many in number. The fact that he was respectful is truly something many NDSU fans haven't shown here on this site. Why are we still all hell bent to act so childishly towards those that do post with respect? I'm all for not liking the Bison for whatever reason, but blanket rating all fans of that team by the few that come here and make a bad name for their team is hardly fair.

Either way, I think SiouxMeNow and nd1sufan are both in bad taste.

In any context, the term "SIOUX SUCK" is not appreciated. Maybe it's only not appreciated by me, but it is still unappreciated.

And yes, I do hope NDSU beats Ball State.

And lastly, people that come on this board from NDSU like GoBison127 aren't that many in number. The fact that he was respectful is truly something many NDSU fans haven't shown here on this site. Why are we still all hell bent to act so childishly towards those that do post with respect? I'm all for not liking the Bison for whatever reason, but blanket rating all fans of that team by the few that come here and make a bad name for their team is hardly fair.

I apologize for my response to SiouxMeNow's post. I actually hate it when Bison fans break out in that chant at games. I think it is childish and unsportsmanlike. But, SiouxMeNow's juvenile joke and the fact he was so proud of himself for it really got to me. I think you would have a hard time finding another post from me that is in bad taste like this one.

Again, I'm sorry I reacted the way I did.

I apologize for my response to SiouxMeNow's post. I actually hate it when Bison fans break out in that chant at games. I think it is childish and unsportsmanlike. But, SiouxMeNow's juvenile joke and the fact he was so proud of himself for it really got to me. I think you would have a hard time finding another post from me that is in bad taste like this one.

Again, I'm sorry I reacted the way I did.

dude...the best part of that joke was your TOTALLY missing it! Juvenile...maybe? Funny?? HELL YEAH! (if I dare say so myself but thanks for the props RedNek and Shawn-O!)

Look - I actually have civil conversations here (believe it or not) with Bison fans if they have a shred of a sense of humor. I can be evil and vindictive for dorks like BisonDan because he has NO sense of humor and acts like this is HIS board but for guys who can laugh...I'm all about that bud! Sorry about the joke...(it was good though, admit it! :lol: ) and lets move on!! :lol:

PS - the "Suck" comment?? Way to go Costanza! Kind of an ndsu version of "Jerk Store!" :D:love: ....

(Insert CARCRASH HERE!!)

Thanks -- you beat me to it. Dragging a thread into off-topic juvenile smack just because an NDSU fan posted really destroys the conversation and isn't welcome. I appreciate the community helping to police itself, and we'll do what we need to do to keep that sort of thing in check.

I think your first year you still play in D2. Your second year you count as a D2 for your DI opponents and a DI opponent for your D2s. You might get a game in your third year but why? NDSU doesnt need to schedule you. You need to schedule NDSU.

No secret strategy needed by you guys. The plan has already been rolled out. Resist and try to derail the NDSU move as much as possible and if that doesnt work move up ourselves taking advantage of their success. It is working just fine.

Its been much admired by all, and you can see how effective its been in gaining respect and winning over fans. :silly:

I heard Gene Taylor on Prime Time Sports Tonight. It sounds like the Gateway Conference will be losing Western Kentucky after this year and would like to add 2 teams to get to 9. The SU's are definitely on their radar, which would put an end to the GWFC.

Also, Renewing the UND-NDSU rivalry was brought up to him. He said he would be asking for a minimum of the first two games being played at the Fargodome, then possibly going on a rotating basis.

Gene Taylor said that they for sure would want the first Sioux Bison game to be in Fargo and they might want the first two in Fargo. The first game should be in Fargo but the next one should definitely be in Grand Forks. If they want to play the game it should be alternated between Fargo and Grand Forks. They would want the game just as much as us. In the other major sports I could see why they might be mad at us for not playing them right away when they left the NCC. In football they have no gripe against us. Dale didn't play them because it would hurt our playoff chances...period. I hope Bunning doesn't cave in to those demands from Taylor. If the Bison don't want to play alternate site games with us in football they can go fly a kite. Bunning.. please stand firm.

Buning indicated, when he first approached the Bison over a year ago, a willingness to do what it takes to get the game going again. I applaud that, and think he will strike a fair deal while showing good faith to "mend fences". Most of the speculation here has either been to rotate, giving NDSU the first game; or rotate, giving NDSU the first two games.

I think another possibility would be a guarantee game at NDSU (since we'll be nowhere near full scholarship and they'll be guaranteed a sellout), followed by a non-paying rotation with the first game at NDSU. That would make two games in a row at NDSU make a lot more sense for the Sioux, and still give NDSU most of the benefit.

I think another possibility would be a guarantee game at NDSU (since we'll be nowhere near full scholarship and they'll be guaranteed a sellout), followed by a non-paying rotation with the first game at NDSU. That would make two games in a row at NDSU make a lot more sense for the Sioux, and still give NDSU most of the benefit.

This sounds a very realistic win-win scenario for both schools. And given the fact that they built it but the Sioux own it, the first two games in the Fargodome sounds fine to me.