SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-Bison in 2008?

UND92,96

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring it!

The thought of playing the Bison again makes my day.

I'm in Greeley, CO right now.......this is a little off-topic, but has anyone heard about the UNC kicker stabbing? Crazy stuff, it's all over the papers and the news. I'll try and find a link..........nevermind. I see the thread.

Well, this news certainly isn't going to go over to well at bisonville! I figured eventually the rivalry would start up again, but I'm a little surprised it might be as early as 2008. I mentioned this news to a co-worker (avid Bison fan) and it didn't go over to well to say the least, he broke out into an anti Sioux chant (bison thing) which I of course countered with an anti Bison chant (Sioux thing)...............little juvenile on both our parts, but it was all in good fun...............I think! :hypocrite:

BTW, the various factors the Herald is talking about are 6 other I-AA games on the Sioux schedule before the Bison agree to a game. If UND has 7 I-AA games in 2008, they become a I-AA counter. We're desperate for strength of schedule in 2008 since we'll be competing against 110+ other I-AA schools for the 8 at-large playoff slots with no autobid safety blanket.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about the game. I'd rather wait until Kupchella's gone, but if it happens, it happens. I only hope the contract is for a 2 for 1; you owe us a game and our stadium seats 7000 more.

BTW, the various factors the Herald is talking about are 6 other I-AA games on the Sioux schedule before the Bison agree to a game. If UND has 7 I-AA games in 2008, they become a I-AA counter. We're desperate for strength of schedule in 2008 since we'll be competing against 110+ other I-AA schools for the 8 at-large playoff slots with no autobid safety blanket.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about the game. I'd rather wait until Kupchella's gone, but if it happens, it happens. I only hope the contract is for a 2 for 1; you owe us a game and our stadium seats 7000 more.

A 2-for-1 isn't going to happen. Also, I'm not sure how you figure UND "owes" NDSU a game. Because UND hosted the last one in 2003? That's why the first game in what presumably would be a home-and-home will be in Fargo.

EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me, isn't this game likely to happen in 2008 (regardless of whatever negotiations are ongoing) due to the strong possibility of UND joining the Great West starting in 2008?

I can understand why NDSU fans don't want NDSU to agree to play UND because of all the past issues where UND wouldn't play them because at the time it hurt our SOS among other issues, but to say that UND owes NDSU a game in Fargo because NDSU made a leap to another division is rediculous IMO. Like so many Bison fans have said on here before: "You made your bed, Now Sleep in it." I would almost guarantee that NDSU would not have played UND had we made the jump first instead of NDSU, simply because of the SOS issues in the past and how it effected every team in the same situation. Every NDSU fan needs to quit living in the past with this huge chip on their shoulder towards UND and look into the future. Hell, get to the present at least.

A 2-for-1 isn't going to happen. Also, I'm not sure how you figure UND "owes" NDSU a game. Because UND hosted the last one in 2003? That's why the first game in what presumably would be a home-and-home will be in Fargo.

It better be a home and home. The Yellow School thinks everything revolves around the FargoDome.

As much as I would be amused by seeing that classless program defeated by the Sioux... again for the 11th time in 14 meetings, the fact of the matter is that the Sioux have much bigger fish to fry than NDS-who. We have the Nickel and they were the ones who made the first move to end the rivalry, so therefore I think it would be in our best interest to leave them in the past where they belong. If they play, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

Is there a reason why you have to talk smack like that?

You can make your argument without calling them "classless".

I can't wait to get the rivalry going again.

As much as I would be amused by seeing that classless program defeated by the Sioux... again for the 11th time in 14 meetings, the fact of the matter is that the Sioux have much bigger fish to fry than NDS-who. We have the Nickel and they were the ones who made the first move to end the rivalry, so therefore I think it would be in our best interest to leave them in the past where they belong. If they play, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

Bla Bla Bla, the game is played on the field. NDSU wasn't the one who made the first move to end the rivlary, they felt going D-1 was in their best interest at the time, itt wasn't a good time for UND to go D-1. Why not end it at that instead of throwing classless jabs at NDSU? I'm glad for the most part that the majority of the people in the state of North Dakota disagree with you and your attitude towards the rivlary. NDSU and UND playing each other in every sport is great for the state of North Dakota.

Who cares about who made the move and who didn't? You CAN'T tell me that UND/NDSU doesn't bring in the biggest crowd for both schools each year it happens. This is a HUGE game for both teams. It's a rivalry, and it needs to come back. It's great for the state, and for football in general.

Good grief...both sides need to stop being so stubborn. The minute these two teams hit the field, it will all make sense.

We have the Nickel and they were the ones who made the first move to end the rivalry, so therefore I think it would be in our best interest to leave them in the past where they belong. If they play, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

Ugh. The rivalry is great for both schools, as is the football game. I don't get why you would want to leave it in the past. Who cares who has the trophy now (or who won so many of the last few) it does no good until it comes out of the glass and it's on the field being held above the winners' heads. Of course, it's always better when we are hoisting it.

Everyone I talked to from NDSU about last week's game, wants the Sioux/Bison game back.

Now, we need to decide where the first one's going to be played.......Memorial Stadium or Dakota Field? WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Wow, I kicked over a hornets nest for a while, didn't I? I considered the matter since I posted and, while I still believe a 2 for 1 would be justified, I realized it doesn't matter. The earliest that the Bison/Sioux game will happen is 2008, and the latest UND will be in the GWFC is 2009. The maximum gap is only 1 year. (I don't believe you're getting into BSC) There's simply no time for a multi-year contract. As soon as UND gets into GWFC, it's the conference office who will determine where the game is played.

Someone asked about UND in GWFC in 2008. It's possible. If I were UCD, CP, or NDSU, I would require UND to schedule 3 DI-AA OOC games before letting UND in as a provisional member(no conference championship or player of the week honors until at least 2009, maybe later). That would insulate the schools making playoff runs from harm should one of UND's DI-AA opponents back out of their contract for a DI-A money game. UND will need a minimum of 6 DI games in 2008 to be a DI counter. 5 GWFC games plus 3 OOC games would give everyone a nice buffer while still allowing UND to schedule 3 DII games.

About my Kupchella comment. It is my personal opinion that Roger Thomas and Charles Kupchella are the two individuals most responsible for the problems between our two universities over the last several years. I don't mind comments between students, alumni or fans, but I think the administrations should be above that. I'm sure many of you feel the same thing towards Chapman, and I don't think we're going to change each others' minds. I don't hate UND as an institution, but I don't like RT and CK. I think RT is getting what he deserves as the NCC crumbles about his head, but I wish CK would be gone before we restart the rivalry. To me, it would feel like we were starting from a clean slate. That's simply my opinion, and as DaveK has been saying in the Vikings thread, we'll just have to agree to disagree.