SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

AZSIOUX

capitals top 20 prospects....i personally can't wait to see (Paul Bunyan) i mean Big Joe Finley on the ice this season

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9022

10. (8) Joe Finley, D, 19

2005 NHL Entry Draft, 27th overall

Rating: 6.5 B

With few hardnosed defenders in the pipeline to replace Brendan Witt

Heck I will take 4 years of Finley, I suppose it has to do a lot with his age, he is barely 18.

I would defitnitely take 4 yrs from Finley, though he was born on June 29, 1987 which makes him 19 not 18. Close though, that is still really young.

I think that he should mature a lot as a player if he is allowed to stay for 4 yrs. Imagine how afraid of him other teams are going to be :silly:

I will be shocked if he is here next year. I think we will lose both him and Lee on defense.

Not me. I won't be shocked at all to see Finley as a Sioux for at least 3 years. If you want to fret about next off season's defections on defense, look no further than linemates in Lee and Chorney.

One factor that might tend to keep Chorney in college a little longer, all other things being equal, is Edmonton's failure to line up its own AHL affiliate. Last I heard (and I don't follow it closely so it may have changed), they have their prospects scattered on a few different teams. If this continues to be the case, they don't have an obvious place to put kids they sign. Plus they seem to respect UND's development, which also helps.

I'd love to see Finley here for a third season, considering how well that career path worked for guys like Greene and Smaby. However, I'm not in a position to hear any real information, so that's just my wish.

Edmonton is going to have players on five different teams this year. They have affiliations with the Hamilton Bulldogs and Iowa Stars. Then they have one-year player loan agreements with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Grand Rapids Griffins and Milwaukee Admirals.

I would defitnitely take 4 yrs from Finley, though he was born on June 29, 1987 which makes him 19 not 18. Close though, that is still really young.

I think that he should mature a lot as a player if he is allowed to stay for 4 yrs. Imagine how afraid of him other teams are going to be :silly:

So even at 19 that is still pretty young. If my math is right that would only put him at age 22 when he makes his professional debute if he stays all four years.

Joe has shown me little more than size. In fact at the end last season, i believed he was the worst defenseman on the team. Joe will have to fight for a spot on this years' squad with little Genoway coming and Bina back. Joe oviously has not shown the coaches for USA hockey much either, as he was not invited to try out for the WJC squad where Chorney, Lee and Jones were all invited. Joe is probably a nice guy; at 6-7 255 on the ice, that is the problem.

Joe has shown me little more than size. In fact at the end last season, i believed he was the worst defenseman on the team. Joe will have to fight for a spot on this years' squad with little Genoway coming and Bina back. Joe oviously has not shown the coaches for USA hockey much either, as he was not invited to try out for the WJC squad where Chorney, Lee and Jones were all invited. Joe is probably a nice guy; at 6-7 255 on the ice, that is the problem.

Actually, at the end of last year, I thought he improved tremendously. He looked very sound positionally at the end of last year. I expect him to have a huge year this year, not "fight for a spot". And sorry that he wasn't good enough to be invited to the USA hockey tryout camp. Not every good defenseman in the country was invited. There are only so many sports.

Worst guy on the D yes

Is that bad no

He was a true freshman and showed great skating to go with the size. almost everyone of the great Sioux d-men in the last few years didn't find their stride until their sophamore or junior seasons.

Oh please. I dont' take the WJC squad invite as all that much of anything. Jones is still yet to make the squad and I'd be surprised if he did. I thought they wanted 2 way defensemen and Jones is obviously a defensive defenseman.

I couldn't disagree more with you though. Genoway will make the team in the capacity like Marvin did. Finley's slot is secure. If he falters, he may sit a game or two, but that's about it. I trust Hakstol knew what he was dong when he recruited Finley.

Other than that, all I can say is, you're entitled to your opinion. And I believe your opinion is incorrect.

I thought they wanted 2 way defensemen and Jones is obviously a defensive defenseman.

Where do you come up with some of these? :silly: How could you possibly know what the USA coaching staff is looking for in any player?

I couldn't disagree more with you though. Genoway will make the team in the capacity like Marvin did.

I know that you have been saying this ever since Genoway committed, but what do you base this on? Is it simply the fact that he has played both forward and defense in the past? Without seeing him play, and I haven't either, it seems to me to be pretty difficult to have an idea what sort of player he will be for the Sioux.

Regarding Joe Finley, I agree with the person that says he seems to be too nice of a guy on the ice at times. As the year progressed, he did seem to anticipate the play much better and was caught out of position much less often. Hopefully he is able to feed off of the energy that Smaby put forth last year and use it in much the same way. I think that most Sioux fans would agree that Smaby struggled as a freshman as well and his career turned out pretty OK. ???

we go through this with every defensive dman we've had over the past couple years. commodore? he's big but can't skate. greene? smaby? the coaches know what they're doing. these kids aren't the greatest their freshman year, make some big strides to their sophomore year, then their junior year they're incredible. if they stay 4 years (none of the above mentioned have) then they undoubtedly will be a force.

Jones did not make the squad, but he was invited to try out, not that I am a huge zach jones fan either. I hope shattuck, hakstol and washington know what they're doing. Clearly they are more qualified than a washed up high school player like me to evaluate talent. Joe's size should afford him the ability to punish players. I want him to be like Commodore and Greene and jones sr were, players that every opposing forward was looking for their whereabouts everytime they went into a corner. in a lot of ways, I believe that joe's season could determine the sioux season as a huge one, or just a good one.

Jones did not make the squad, but he was invited to try out, not that I am a huge zach jones fan either. I hope shattuck, hakstol and washington know what they're doing. Clearly they are more qualified than a washed up high school player like me to evaluate talent. Joe's size should afford him the ability to punish players. I want him to be like Commodore and Greene and jones sr were, players that every opposing forward was looking for their whereabouts everytime they went into a corner. in a lot of ways, I believe that joe's season could determine the sioux season as a huge one, or just a good one.

zach is a good solid d man that is only going to grow, he has way more of a edge to him than matt did, thats for sure and thats what he needs lacking a little size. i believe zach may be draft eligable again next draft, not quite sure about that but i was talking to matt one day and thats what he said when we were talking about zach.

joe will be who he is, lets give him a little more time at UND, im sure he will punish some players this year...he is a decent skater for his big build....lets remember matt jones and smaby were not to forceful their 1st year in the wcha, thats for sure....

and yes, i probably agree that hak and the guys are a bit more qualified than a washed up former high school player like yourself :silly:

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't disagree more with you though. Genoway will make the team in the capacity like Marvin did. Finley's slot is secure. If he falters, he may sit a game or two, but that's about it. I trust Hakstol knew what he was dong when he recruited Finley.

Other than that, all I can say is, you're entitled to your opinion. And I believe your opinion is incorrect.

I think you might be wrong on your Genoway assessment. I'm hearing some very good things about Chay. I guess we'll see once the season gets going, but he's being compared with some of the past Sioux greats who were of similar size. I guess I won't toss out names of who he's being compared to, because then we'll expect him to be like that player the first time he steps on the ice. We'll never be able to compare him with Commodore, Greene & Smaby, but, by the time he completes his Sioux career, we might talking about him in the same sentance as some of the smaller Sioux All-American defensemen we've had over the last 20 years. These players were great college defensemen, but never made it at the NHL level because of their size.

So, Genoway will make the team at a capacity much more than what your indicating above. With Chorney, Lee, Jones, Bina & Finley coming back, it will be interesting to see where he fits in this year.

I think you might be wrong on your Genoway assessment. I'm hearing some very good things about Chay. I guess we'll see once the season gets going, but he's being compared with some of the past Sioux greats who were of similar size. I guess I won't toss out names of who he's being compared to, because then we'll expect him to be like that player the first time he steps on the ice. We'll never be able to compare him with Commodore, Greene & Smaby, but, by the time he completes his Sioux career, we might talking about him in the same sentance as some of the smaller Sioux All-American defensemen we've had over the last 20 years. These players were great college defensemen, but never made it at the NHL level because of their size.

So, Genoway will make the team at a capacity much more than what your indicating above. With Chorney, Lee, Jones, Bina & Finley coming back, it will be interesting to see where he fits in this year.

You forgot to mention Radke, who should be a big contributor this season.

Chay centered Esposito and another name I can't remember at SSM. He looked very good at the position when SSM played at the REA. Lots of speed and a super playmaker. Not sure if he'll be a dman only for the Sioux, but he can certainly play a forward position well.