SiouxSports.com Forum

The Upcoming Special Season

jk

I like what your wrote here and I am going to take this one further and add that the Gophers have mediocre goaltending and I do think Lammy is a better goalie than either of the Goofers goalies.

i like phil as well but lets have phil help get us to a frozen 4 before we start talking better and so forth, do i think he will?? damn right and i think we are going back this year but i have to see him do it himself with some help of some scoring of course....cant friken wait to watch him every nght and finally get his chance he deserves, i love his style.............

ps...frazee will be a bust and either quit half way through the year or after te season when they are outed because briggs will blow it sometime in the final 5 or the ncaa's :D if i was a gopher fan (thank god im not everyday :D ) i would be excited for kangas to come in ASAP.....

IN PHIL WE TRUST

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some reasons why the Golden Rodents are not the team to beat, either in the WCHA or NCAA:

1) Average Goaltending: Briggs and Frazee are not championship material. I'd take Lammy over either of them.

2) Shaky Defensemen: Last year, their blueliners struggled to take care of the puck in the defensive zone at times. That cannot continue if they hope to win anything other than regular season titles. And I'm sorry, but it's going to take more than Eric Johnson to make up for it.

3) No more Nodaks: Potulny and Irmen left for greener ($$$) pastures, along with Phil "Boy Wonder" Kessel and Kris Chucko. They are going to have to find scoring from other places to make up for these losses. UND lost a lot of talent to the pros as well, but I don't think we relied on any two players like the Rodents did on Potulny and Irmen.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Rodents will finish in the top 5 of the league and probably make the NCAA Tournament. But they have to address the above situations if they want to win more than regular-season titles.

Minnesota will be very competitive this year as always. Goligoski may be the best 5x5 offensive d-man in the nation. They will score goals as always, and continue to have a big ice advantage. Their goaltending will be shaky as it has been for 20 years.

I think their biggest loss (and Gopher fans will hat this) is Harrington. He was a defensive liability at best, but he was the reason the PP has been so potent, maybe Goligoski and Johnson can step up, but this is a huge question.

I'm interested to see how good the UMN PP is this season. They lose 3 KEY contributors to that first PP line in Kessel, Irmen, and Potulny. Their PP always seems to be good though, and I am sure that Goligoski, Okposo, and Stoa will be good on the PP.

I can't imagine the skill that will be on the first PP line for UND. You could put Lee and Radke out there on defense with Toews, Oshie, and Duncan on forward. That's quite the potent line!

Here are some reasons why the Golden Rodents are not the team to beat, either in the WCHA or NCAA:

1) Average Goaltending: Briggs and Frazee are not championship material. I'd take Lammy over either of them.

2) Shaky Defensemen: Last year, their blueliners struggled to take care of the puck in the defensive zone at times. That cannot continue if they hope to win anything other than regular season titles. And I'm sorry, but it's going to take more than Eric Johnson to make up for it.

3) No more Nodaks: Potulny and Irmen left for greener ($$$) pastures, along with Phil "Boy Wonder" Kessel and Kris Chucko. They are going to have to find scoring from other places to make up for these losses. UND lost a lot of talent to the pros as well, but I don't think we relied on any two players like the Rodents did on Potulny and Irmen.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Rodents will finish in the top 5 of the league and probably make the NCAA Tournament. But they have to address the above situations if they want to win more than regular-season titles.

1. They've won national championships with worse goaltending than they have now. Hauser.

2. They lost Harrington (big deal). They'll not be worse on defense this year.

3. Potulny scored 90% of his goals from one spot on the ice. The teams that shut that option down won the games. Kessel created too many adversarial relationships within the locker room and Chcuko just sucks. Irmen was their biggest loss but they have plenty of firepower to score goals.

If they are not the team to beat this year, who is? WI, DU, and CC lost too much. Duluth perhaps?

i say UND and UofMtc battle for the top spot in the wcha this year. either or could come out as regular season champions in my eyes. that is not countin out du, cc or uw because both UND and UofMtc lost a boatload of talent as well..when all said is done, both teams just keep reloading and the match up on jan 26,27 should be a hell of a weekend!!

GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Goon, I like you optimistic goal predictions, BUT Lee 15 :D I hope your right, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it. :D

I have been reading his press clipping and dreaming. Never hurts right? I think that is why I buy a lottery ticket every week possible.

Minnesota will be very competitive this year as always. Goligoski may be the best 5x5 offensive d-man in the nation. They will score goals as always, and continue to have a big ice advantage. Their goaltending will be shaky as it has been for 20 years.

I think their biggest loss (and Gopher fans will hat this) is Harrington. He was a defensive liability at best, but he was the reason the PP has been so potent, maybe Goligoski and Johnson can step up, but this is a huge question.

I liked Goligoski on the PP better than Harrington last year. And if EJ is as good as advertised, I expect they'll be just fine from the point. What they lost were guys who would pot the puck, IMO. That's what I think is the biggest question mark. Okposo may help in that area, and Wheeler and Stoa could possibly step in, though I doubt anyone will cause me as much fear as Potulny.

I can't imagine the skill that will be on the first PP line for UND. You could put Lee and Radke out there on defense with Toews, Oshie, and Duncan on forward. That's quite the potent line!
you have to put Chorney in there too

I hope Lee has a Confidence Leap this year ...Imagine his size & skill in a person who just plain won't be denied & in the state of affairs were in - (when these "elite players" only stay a year or two) - someone has to get into their heads & the Freshmen & make them believe they can be more important / productive to the team, than just rookies trying to learn to play at a new level :D

If they are not the team to beat this year, who is? WI, DU, and CC lost too much. Duluth perhaps?

Before UND lost all of that talent (4 to the NHL and 1 to homesickness), I figured they would be the favorites. But after all the early departures from the best league in the nation, I think it's a toss-up. The team that adapts the best to off-season losses will have the most success. Denver was off a little last year, but they'll be back in the hunt before long. Duluth has a talented group of Sophomores coming back and will compete for a top 5 finish at the least. Wisconsin lost too much upperclass experience to be a factor. I don't know if CC has the depth. St. Cloud is probably a couple of years away from being a top contender, but I think they are headed in the right direction. I would say that the top three will include North Dakota, Minnesota and Duluth. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess what is going to happen. This is the WCHA, after all.

Before UND lost all of that talent (4 to the NHL and 1 to homesickness), I figured they would be the favorites. But after all the early departures from the best league in the nation, I think it's a toss-up. The team that adapts the best to off-season losses will have the most success. Denver was off a little last year, but they'll be back in the hunt before long. Duluth has a talented group of Sophomores coming back and will compete for a top 5 finish at the least. Wisconsin lost too much upperclass experience to be a factor. I don't know if CC has the depth. St. Cloud is probably a couple of years away from being a top contender, but I think they are headed in the right direction. I would say that the top three will include North Dakota, Minnesota and Duluth. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess what is going to happen. This is the WCHA, after all.

i think duluth has too many question marks to put them in the top three... i know this is unoriginal, but the top three will be(in no specific order) UND, umtc, and du. but i would like to see duluth get strong again. uw is in the same boat as duluth...too many ? marks. but i have to agree, anything can happen and i would not be surprised if everyone is off by at least some margin.

Jones has alot of mean. Just cut down on some of the stupid, please. :D:D

That's just (a) nails on a chalkboard and (b) hugely ironic to me.

I'd love to explain why but I have a lot to get done and can not allot more time to this discussion. :0

Sorry for the interruption.

PS - I struggle to find the defensive corps I'd trade UND's for right now.

The Gophers defense will be MUCH better this year than last. They lost two d-men who played and both were average at best(Harrington and Atherton). They added the best defensive recruit in the country(EJ) and another first round pick in Fischer. The defense is a strength, not a weakness.

You say that the Gophers have shaky defensemen but they have two, E. Johnson and Goligoski, who are better than any single d-man on the entire Sioux roster. The Sioux defense might be a bit deeper than the Gophers but they don't have anyone as good as Johnson or Goligoski.

I think it's the opposite with the forwards. The Gophers are deeper at forward than the Sioux but don't have anyone on the same level as Toews and Oshie.

And as of right now, claiming that Lammy is better than either Briggs or Frazee is pure speculation. We have no idea who will have the best season out of those three.

You say that the Gophers have shaky defensemen but they have two, E. Johnson and Goligoski, who are better than any single d-man on the entire Sioux roster. The Sioux defense might be a bit deeper than the Gophers but they don't have anyone as good as Johnson or Goligoski.

I gotta say thats a pretty strong statement even though Johnson is the #1 overall pick in the NHL draft and was one of the best defenseman on the US at the World Juniors he hasn't even played a game in college yet and you're saying he is better than an entire D-Core that was really young last year and lead their team to the Frozen Four. Based on potential, you may be right but saying right now he is better than Lee, Chorney, etc. is a pretty bold statement.

The Gophers defense will be MUCH better this year than last. They lost two d-men who played and both were average at best(Harrington and Atherton). They added the best defensive recruit in the country(EJ) and another first round pick in Fischer. The defense is a strength, not a weakness.

I think it's the opposite with the forwards. The Gophers are deeper at forward than the Sioux but don't have anyone on the same level as Toews and Oshie.

And as of right now, claiming that Lammy is better than either Briggs or Frazee is pure speculation. We have no idea who will have the best season out of those three.

EJ is a special player, enjoy him while he is there. As far as goligoski, saying he is better than any Sioux defenseman is a tidy bit of fiction at best. There is a guy named Brian Lee who is equally if not more skilled than goligoski.

I gotta say thats a pretty strong statement even though Johnson is the #1 overall pick in the NHL draft and was one of the best defenseman on the US at the World Juniors he hasn't even played a game in college yet and you're saying he is better than an entire D-Core that was really young last year and lead their team to the Frozen Four. Based on potential, you may be right but saying right now he is better than Lee, Chorney, etc. is a pretty bold statement.

No it's not. All summer long the vast majority of NHL scouts said that there's no question Erik Johnson is good enough to step right into an NHL lineup on opening day and be a top four d-man for them if not top two. Lee and Chorney will be great but there's no way they are good enough right now to be playing regulary in the NHL. Johnson, according to every scout, is.

That's just (a) nails on a chalkboard and (b) hugely ironic to me.

I'd love to explain why but I have a lot to get done and can not allot more time to this discussion. :0

Sorry for the interruption.

PS - I struggle to find the defensive corps I'd trade UND's for right now.

pretty simple to me, just means cut down on the untimely and stupid penalties that put the team in a tough situation..i think he was just introducing himself to the wcha and the refs ;) jones had a few of these but i love the way he plays. he has a edge to him that a team needs. this d core will be so much fun to watch as they will just keep getting bigger and smarter.........

No it's not. All summer long the vast majority of NHL scouts said that there's no question Erik Johnson is good enough to step right into an NHL lineup on opening day and be a top four d-man for them if not top two. Lee and Chorney will be great but there's no way they are good enough right now to be playing regulary in the NHL. Johnson, according to every scout, is.

Then why didn't he sign with the Blues ? I suppose you are going to throw out the "it was his dream to play at the u" excuse again. If you read the scouting reports, like you claim, then you already know he did not make a huge impression at the Blues camp. But like I said, I'm sure you already knew that. EJ is a special player and will have an impact as a freshman there is no denying that.

i will say ej may ready for the show and could have stepped in and been a 4-6 d man for st louis who does suck but either way he can play....after ej i say throw gologoski and lee in the same group with chorney right behind if not right along with these 2........after the d men, i say watch the hell out for okposo with the gophers......this kid can play and is tough........in the long run i cant wait to see what oshie and toews and company do this season, it will be a fun one and very exciting to watch this team and guck the fophers :D

Then why didn't he sign with the Blues ? I suppose you are going to throw out the "it was his dream to play at the u" excuse again. If you read the scouting reports, like you claim, then you already know he did not make a huge impression at the Blues camp. But like I said, I'm sure you already knew that. EJ is a special player and will have an impact as a freshman there is no denying that.

I haven't read the actual scouting reports. But I have read numerous quotes from scouts and NHL executives who said all summer that he's good enough to step into an NHL lineup yesterday. You can't deny that that was the overall opinion of Johnson by NHL general managers. I'm not putting down the Sioux defense at all. They'll be very strong this year no doubt. I'm just saying I'd take Johnson and Goligoski over anyone the Sioux have to offer.

And I'm sorry TRIOUXPER that you have a hard time accepting this but Johnson's "dream to play for the U" was a major factor in the decision process that led him to decide to play college for a year.

I haven't read the actual scouting reports. But I have read numerous quotes from scouts and NHL executives who said all summer that he's good enough to step into an NHL lineup yesterday. You can't deny that that was the overall opinion of Johnson by NHL general managers. I'm not putting down the Sioux defense at all. They'll be very strong this year no doubt. I'm just saying I'd take Johnson and Goligoski over anyone the Sioux have to offer.

And I'm sorry TRIOUXPER that you have a hard time accepting this but Johnson's "dream to play for the U" was a major factor in the decision process that led him to decide to play college for a year.

:D sorry, just funny as sh%$.........just makes me laugh

It's a good thing that an entire d-corps is made up of more than 2 dmen then! :D

I really could care less what his deciding factor was. The fact that he didn't impress at St. Louis' camp this summer is a major reason he is going to the u this year. I just find it funny that now your excuse of his "dream" to play there is oh so convenient and timely. I wouldn't expect anything less from you bucky, and as I have said before (like so many others) I'm sorry you have such a hard time accepting opinions of Sioux fans on a Sioux fans website. I didn't want to sink to this level but I no longer have a choice, as far as goligoski is concerened I've always considered him somewhat of a "parking cone".

I think the Gophers blueline will be a strength of the team. Not so much in the mold of a punishing crew, but with Vanelli/Peltier and Goligoski/Johnson the Gophers will have two pairs of defensemen who can take the puck and skate past a forechecker and make an outlet pass. This is a huge deal for the way the Gophers play and gives them an advantage on most teams coming into Mariucci.

Pushing to get top four minutes will be Hagemo (if healthy) and either RJ Anderson or Fischer. The only question is whether Johnson or Fischer will be able to provide some violence that has been missing since DeMarchi departed.

To say Johnson should contribute like Chorney and Lee is fair. When they were all on the WJC team together they pretty much performed and played equally. Johnson has to demonstrate he can do it against WCHA competition, but I think he should be able to handle it.

Barring extensive injuries I think the Sioux and the Gophers are top three WCHA teams and could easily end up in the Denver regional together again.

In the spirit of the thread it should be a very special season, if the eastern (including Michigan) kids are going to win a NCAA championship they should try to get it this year.

I really could care less what his deciding factor was. The fact that he didn't impress at St. Louis' camp this summer is a major reason he is going to the u this year. I just find it funny that now your excuse of his "dream" to play there is oh so convenient and timely. I wouldn't expect anything less from you bucky, and as I have said before (like so many others) I'm sorry you have such a hard time accepting opinions of Sioux fans on a Sioux fans website. I didn't want to sink to this level but I no longer have a choice, as far as goligoski is concerened I've always considered him somewhat of a "parking cone".

Since when do "parking cones" get selected to the all WCHA second team as a sophomore?

Since when do "parking cones" get selected to the all WCHA second team as a sophomore?

About the same time a certain "jack-ass" who shall remain nameless garnered the ROTY last year over two other candidates who clearly outperformed said "jack-ass". That's when. Again, all apologies to all of the good posters out there that I have sunk to this level and ruined this thread.