SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU added to MID-CON

Csonked Out

Congrats to SU. Looks like they will have a secure future in DI for the forseeable future.

However, I think the real question here is brought up by this quote:

"Taylor began thanking student athletes and started crying again..."

Would Buning cry?

hanks.jpg

Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in D1. You know why? Because there's no crying in D1!

Congrats to SU. Looks like they will have a secure future in DI for the forseeable future.

However, I think the real question here is brought up by this quote:

"Taylor began thanking student athletes and started crying again..."

Would Buning cry?

He's a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He's got about 195 yards left, and he's got a, looks like he's got about an 8 iron.

carl%20spackler.jpg

Suprise, another UND fan who doesn't care about basketball.

I don't think too many people would deny that UND's sports hierarchy goes:

1: Hockey

2: Football

3: Basketball

4: Take your pick

That doesn't mean that most Sioux fans don't support our basketball programs. I must agree, however, that there are a few Sioux fans that don't even know that we sponsor sports other than hockey.

Suprise, another UND fan who doesn't care about basketball.

Why is this such a problem to you? I'm sure there are Bison fans who don't like basketball, what then? Excommunication?

Seriously, I don't like basketball, but I'm still happy that NDSU got into the conference.

Why? Because it sure as heck is going to help the other sports get into a conference as well. As I see it, if the MidCon had rejected their bid, why would a football conference accept them? "Not good enough for MidCon, not good enough for us" mentality. This way, they get in and it helps the rest of the athletics department.

It could even help UND. When UND becomes eligible, it could be advantageous for NDSU to help in any way they can because travelling costs could be shared, a rivalry like ours is historic and makes a heap of money for both schools, and it could be seen as profitable for the conference because of that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is a good deal for NDSU to get in. Congrats.

I have to say I was starting to get a little apathetic about Basketball, then last year Tim Miles woke me up! I suspect a lot of Bison fans were in the same boat as me!

If UND makes the jump to DI and has some BB success as the Bison have I would suspect the number of Sioux fans following BB will climb. It is the nature of the beast.......

I read the Strib yesterday (can't find article online) and I believe it was Taylor who was saying something about Mid-Con possibly adding football in the near future. The first time I read the quote it almost seemed as if Taylor thought he was a spokesman for the league. Besides that, though, what's the possibility of football becoming a conference sport of the Mid-Con?

I read the Strib yesterday (can't find article online) and I believe it was Taylor who was saying something about Mid-Con possibly adding football in the near future. The first time I read the quote it almost seemed as if Taylor thought he was a spokesman for the league. Besides that, though, what's the possibility of football becoming a conference sport of the Mid-Con?

I'm going to have to respectfully doubt that until I see the actual quote. The thought of him saying something like that at anytime, much less within a day of NDSU getting invited into the Mid-Con, just seems unrealistic to me. Starting in 2007, only 4 of 10 schools in the Mid-Con will sponsor football and WIU is in the Gateway. I know that Douple has stated that he wants the partnership of Mid-Con/GWFC (Mid-Con administrates the GWFC) to be similar to the partnership between MVC/Gateway, but I haven't heard any serious talk of any of the other 6 schools adding football and I don't see WIU leaving Gateway and it's autobid.

FYI: The other 6 schools are Centenary, IPFW, IUPUI, UMKC, Oakland and Oral Roberts. In the MVC, 5 of 10 schools play in the Gateway, while another plays in the non-scholy Pioneer League. The remaining 4 do not sponsor football.

If the Mid Con could convince Western Illinois to come over to the GW, the GW could be considered for an auto bid in 2010.

That is not likely, though.

IMO, the more likely scenario is UND and USD being added which would have the GW being able to be considered for an auto bid sometime around 2014 (I think).

Then we have to have the DI-AA playoff committee actually want to expand the playoffs or take a bid away from another league.

Shoot, who needs the Mid Con, then?

You'll always have the WCHA for hockey and the Great West will get you games against NDSU, SDSU, and USD every season (as well as Davis and Poly). Might as well just be independant in the rest of the sports.

I'd love for UND to be in the Great West Conference in football!

However, just because I, and a few other UND posters here, don't like basketball, why shouldn't UND basketball try to get into MidCon or an equivalent conference?

Please, obviously your disdain for those UND fans who don't care for basketball is clouding your logic on the big picture. I'm sure UND's AD is trying to get all of UND's sports into a conference (or will when we are eligible) whether I, or another UND poster, like that particular sport or not.

Just to give you some (probably) false hope. (I agree with the writer on the schools)

posted on bisonville by greenie:

Mid-Con Makes Right Expansion Decisions

http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/sp4_0904.html

article finishes with...

Van Alstine hinted the expansion effort isn't over.

"I can't really give any names right now, but (the Mid