SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA may ban all post-season play in South Carolina

mksioux

The NCAA is considering banning all post-season play in South Carolina due to the fact that the state flies the confederate flag on the capitol grounds. Pre-determined (bidded) events, such as the NCAA basketball regionals, have already banned, but this new proposal would extend to merit-based post-season games as well.

I think it's important to note, no matter how you feel about the issue, that the member institutions that are negatively impacted by this proposed policy don't have any control over of what flags are flown on the state capitol grounds. It's also important to note that it's an enormous stretch to argue that this issue is reasonably related to college athletics.

The NCAA is basically establishing a precedent that it has the right to punish all member instiutions within an entire state for any real or perceived social injustice going on in that state, whether or not it has to do with college athletics. Once that precedent is established, why stop in South Carolina? Why not ban post-season play in the entire state of North Dakota because the Indian symbols on State Trooper vehicles and highway signs create a hostile and abusive environment in the entire state? Better yet, why not ban post-season play in any state that has passed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? I mean, after all, wouldn't a state that has banned gay marriage in its constitution be unwelcoming to gay athletes, thereby creating a hostile and abusive environment?

The NC00 PC crowd in their ivory towers are heading for a Bastille moment, I think. They are so ignorant of the real world that they'll probably just say "let them eat cake" and go on with their self-destructive antics. Legislation hemming them in is way overdue.

Keep in mind that it was the Black Coaches Association that pressed the NCAA to do this.

Floyd Keith, executive director of the Black Coaches Association, said he received a request from members about furthering action against the state and closing what he saw as a loophole.

"I don't know that anybody is comfortable playing in a place where they fly the Confederate flag," he said by telephone Tuesday.

I'm getting worried. Can I still go out in public? Will a US citizen complain to the NC$$ that Mexican illegals are working in North Dakota? Will the NC$$ assume I'm an illegal alien (ok, outer space doesn't count) and ban all NC$$ post season play in North Dakota because the majority of US citizens don't want 'illegals' working in the US? I sure as heck don't look Norweigen!!!

If you think that's a stretch from a Confederate flag, you're wrong. Why is an entire state being banned because Black Coaches complained about something schools don't govern?!? This is similar to cross burning. "We don't like who you are, what you represent, so we're going to ostracize you, hurt you, run you out of town."

HR 5289, the Protection of University Governance Act of 2006, needs to be amended!!!!

Many of the state flags in the south include the remnants of the old confederate flag, such as Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. Does anyone think that Bowl games are going to get banned in Florida? Not a chance, $$$.

If the NCAA continues with this course of action, any bets on when the Mississippi Rebels are going to get banned?

And combined, their brain size doesn't equal the size of a quark!!

(Fixed it, :blush: .)

Thanks. You rock! I agree their brains are just small and I am starting to think that UND needs to win this lawsuit more then ever. The NCAA needs to be stopped and they are not even making sense anymore. Holding schools liable for a flag at the capital building, whats next cancelling games in the post season for a state that has either a repulican or democrat senator that the NCAA does not like. They have gone to far. Sorry for the rant.

Once that precedent is established, why stop in South Carolina? Why not ban post-season play in the entire state of North Dakota because the Indian symbols on State Trooper vehicles and highway signs create a hostile and abusive environment in the entire state?

Don't kid yourself.

That'll come right after.

It won't matter that the same symbols are used by the indigenous peoples of this region.

And on that thought ....

'PCM' was trying to point out a subtle nuance in this:

No black person ever used the Rebel stars and bars to represent themself (I believe). That symbol was used to oppress blacks.

But once the NCAA 'does' SoCar, people will forget that subtle, yet critically key, nuance and just keep choppin' away at symbols that some folks say they don't like.

Thus, I predict the NCAA will come after the ND Highway Patrol's car doors featuring Red Tomahawk (even though Red Tomahawk's decendants support the NDHP).

"I don't know that anybody is comfortable playing in a place where they fly the Confederate flag," he said by telephone Tuesday.

So don't play any games at South Carolina's capitol building. Problem solved.

It's a perfectly logical extension of this to guess that tournaments will eventually be banned from North Dakota for the state's abuse of Indian imagery and unapproved use of an Indian name in the state name.

Following that hypothetical example makes it clear that the NCAA is an abusive monopoly. This athletics governance body can perform any social engineering they want by imposing arbitrary moral, legal, and other requirements on institutions, cities, and states, if they want to participate fully in the NCAA. No legitimate business facing any competition would ever dare behave in such a manner, but having no actual competition yet being completely unregulated has emboldened the NCAA to reach far beyond the organization's mission and try to reshape the world to fit their ivory tower notions of political correctness.

In response to some opponents' glee at the NCAA punishing UND, many Sioux fans have joked that fans of other schools should be more sympathetic because PETA may approach the NCAA next. It's time to stop laughing. This action shows that a social engineering NCAA is willing to punish schools to try to sway other entities on other issues. Gopher fans should worry that the NCAA might not like Minnesota's minimum wage laws, and Bison fans should be scared that the NCAA may not like Fargo's treatment of gay marriage.

I don't post much in this forum because I'm somewhat torn as to whether UND should use the Sioux nickname. However, I have no doubt that the NCAA abusing its monopoly to try to reengineer society is a scary thing for everyone.

Why should any of this surprise any of you who've been paying attention?

Myles Brand has pondered aloud that maybe he should stop people from freely giving their own money to the place of their choosing.

If the NCAA wants to start limiting how much money a benefactor can leave a school, does this mean that theNCAA is going to start limiting how much money a spnser gives them? It is the same thing. The NCAA is taking their policy's way to far and sooner or later they are going to piss a lot of people off, not just UND fans but a great deal of people that think just leave people a lone. Anyone have any thoughts?