SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

And if the Alerus does need to expand the arena then you would have to rebuild the Wellness Center even further south.

The group working on the Wellness Center may have there own concerns. For one thing, they have spent a lot of time pulling partners together to make it work at the current site. Will they want to add another major player, like the city, and try to find a way to please them also? It could backfire and pull the whole deal apart. They have a majority of the money raised already. I don't think they will upset the apple cart by trying to add to the mix unless they absolutely have to. They seem to have a plan in place that makes sense. They may be better off just going with what they have.

What was described would set the main portion of the Wellness Center back far enough from the Alerus Arena so that extra enclosed space would be availabe immediately for indoor courts - more court space than the proposed Target building would add - and later this space could be for seating expansion. No rebuilding required. It's win-win.

As far as upsetting the apple cart, why not ask the questions? The Alerus is a higher visibility location, so any corporate sponsors would be at least open to the thought.

I think parking would still be a major issue. People in Grand Forks want to park as close as possible ...

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but I've always wondered why people demand front-door parking to climb onto a treadmill. :p???

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but I've always wondered why people demand front-door parking to climb onto a treadmill. :p???

That's part of what I meant, people will complain if they have to walk very far from their car to the treadmill or to the tennis courts. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think a more immediate problem would be parking for larger events in the arena. If you build on the current parking lot you are going to add that many more steps that people would have to walk to get to their seats for a football game or concert. People already complain about walking from the south end of the current lot. They will be even less happy if they have to walk another block against a cold north wind.

Parking can be a major issue for the people in this area. They are so used to being able to park right at the front door that they don't like doing something else. They don't like to park in a ramp. They don't like parking a great distance away and walking. People living in large cities are used to walking many blocks. People in the Red River Valley are not. It is an issue that has to be dealt with whether we like it or not. That means the issue has to be addressed when considering facilities.

What was described would set the main portion of the Wellness Center back far enough from the Alerus Arena so that extra enclosed space would be availabe immediately for indoor courts - more court space than the proposed Target building would add - and later this space could be for seating expansion. No rebuilding required. It's win-win.

As far as upsetting the apple cart, why not ask the questions? The Alerus is a higher visibility location, so any corporate sponsors would be at least open to the thought.

I did miss that part of your plan before I wrote my response. You would probably still have to build on to the facility if you take away court space for seating. After all, if you have something then it will be missed if you take it away.

As far as asking the question, I'm not stopping anyone. I just gave some of the reasons I think would be raised if the question is asked. As always, I could be wrong. Knowing who some of the players are that have been involved may have shaped my opinions. Also knowing that the city doesn't seem to want to put more money than they absolutely have to into the Alerus Center may have contributed.

Some sponsors would like being at the Alerus. But others may prefer being in a location where they could have some more exclusivity and where they may be able to stand out more. And some may already be at the Alerus and have less incentive to throw more money at the same location. It just depends on who the money people are.

• 1 month later...
For those in Grand Forks: what's the latest on the proposed indoor facility? Is it just the economy keeping things quiet right now or is the University really serious about revamping the old hockey arena?

Wish I knew. Suspect until the nickname issue is "over", there won't be much progress.

• 3 weeks later...

SiouXtra

The 9-10-09 Sioux Sports Today has a short interview with golf coach Dan Frei where he discusses a new Golf Room that has been created in Hyslop. Guess they converted an old raquet ball court or two into a nice practice facility. It sounds like they spent some good money on it and that it should be a pretty high tech facility for the golf team.

SiouXtra

The 9-10-09 Sioux Sports Today has a short interview with golf coach Dan Frei where he discusses a new Golf Room that has been created in Hyslop. Guess they converted an old raquet ball court or two into a nice practice facility. It sounds like they spent some good money on it and that it should be a pretty high tech facility for the golf team.

From what I've heard, those racquetball courts have really suffered over the years. Would be nice to see some new courts themselves.

For those in Grand Forks: what's the latest on the proposed indoor facility? Is it just the economy keeping things quiet right now or is the University really serious about revamping the old hockey arena?

The latest discussion is stripping the sides off the old ralph and rebuilding the facility from its existing structure. The estimates of doing this came back much cheaper than building new. The biggest problem workng against the athletic department right now is time. EERC badly wants the land that the old ralph sits on for expansion. From what I have been told, it will come down to who can come up with money first: EERC secures the money to tear it down or the athletic department finds money to rebuild from the existing structure.

• 7 months later...

Per the live online chat with Brian Faison today at noon:

12:40 Brian Faison: Coach Dodson has done a great job of turning our baseball fortunes around. With respect to the facility, in cooperation with parks and rec and the Blueline Club, we'll see the installation of an artificial infield and otufield at KRaft Field for next year. This facility upgrade will allow us to get more home games in early in the season and will benefit not only Fighting Sioux baseball, but high school and youth baseball in the Greater Grand Forks area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Wish I knew. Suspect until the nickname issue is "over", there won't be much progress.

Kelley and Faison had a meeting Monday with the main donors for Phase I of the indoor facility. Not sure if they could get construction started this fall or not.

Kelley and Faison had a meeting Monday with the main donors for Phase I of the indoor facility. Not sure if they could get construction started this fall or not.

Isn't Phase I the demolition of the Old Ralph? If that is the case, I doubt that construction would start until next year. After the demo....soil samples, site prep.,, etc. I don't think I would use the same firm that did the soil samples for Minard Hall .

Still, it is good to hear that plans are moving forward. :D

Go Sioux!!!

Isn't Phase I the demolition of the Old Ralph? If that is the case, I doubt that construction would start until next year.

Construction starts spring 2011. Will be ready for spring football in 2012. And the donor's identity will irritate our little friends to the south. :ohmy:

A while back Mr. Faison hinted at some kind of announcement during Homecoming.

Might explain why the men's T&F coaching staff is getting a make-over: they'll have something to sell now.

Mussman's next round of recruiting may have gotten just a wee bit easier. :ohmy:

Construction starts spring 2011. Will be ready for spring football in 2012. And the donor's identity will irritate our little friends to the south. :ohmy:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Sanford is trying to win over the state with marquee donations to both NDSU (BSA Arena project) and UND (Indoor facility).

I have to admit that I like the idea of a 300m indoor track with a football field inside much better than a 200m indoor track with strictly use for track. I wish they would expand the indoor track portion of the BSA Arena project, but it is what it is.

Sanford? That would not only irritate NDSU fans, but also SDSU and USD.

It's not Sanford...............it is me!

In accordance with the tradition of referring to the hockey arena as "The Ralph", and the football stadium "The Al", I've asked the practice facility be officially known as "The Bin". :ohmy:

It's not Sanford...............it is me!

In accordance with the tradition of referring to the hockey arena as "The Ralph", and the football stadium "The Al", I've asked the practice facility be officially known as "The Bin". :ohmy:

Thanks Bin...now what can you do about a thumbs up smiley?