SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon & DI

SiouxMD

Oh, I guess it would be crazy to think that a school that has been offering a D-I sport for decades would have an idea of what the academic requirements of Division I are. :D

The UND football program a) doesn't recruit JUCO's or partial qualifiers b) is dealing with institutional entrance standards that preclude them from recruiting those types of "student" athletes in the first place and c) has consistently been the leader in the NCC (by an extremely wide margin in most cases) in academic all-conference players over the last several years. You would have to be an idiot to assume that during the transition UND would be playing with a bunch of guys that couldn't qualify to play D-I.

And also, if you agree with Gene Taylor's position, then you certainly must also be willing to discount all accomplishments by NDSU during the transition because the possibility obviously exists that some "D2 flunkies" on the roster made for an unlevel playing field when facing full-fledged D-I teams.

So which is it? :lol:

While I don't agree with D1 In Fargo that there aren't good athletes in Montana, I think it would be extremely difficult to get them away from one of the D1AA Montana schools. Nebraska may be a good place to find some good D1AA players, but UND will have to go much farther south to get the speed they will need in 1AA.

I do take exception to some of the UND fans "holier than thou" attitude about being this elite institution that only Rhode Scholars can get into. Their basketball team did have 2 JUCO athletes (Beasley & Myron ALlen) at the same time that were only in Grand Forks because they hadn't gotten the grades or degree from their JUCO to qualify in D1.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to look at why I wrote what I did. D1 in Fargo stated that quality D1 players would never come up to GF from a state such as Nebraska. I was just pointing to the fact that NDSU was able to pull a quality player out of Nebraska's backyard, which D1 in Fargo thinks is impossible. I too believe there are a lot of quality players locally. Just pointing out an error in his assessment, which happen pretty frequently.

An error in my assessment? I only pointed out and responded to a post regarding NDSU's use of getting some JUCO's to fill in holes when we needed immediate help in a position where we were short and someone felt that UND would never do that. I understand Beasley was in Basketball but can you tell me that UND has never recruited a JUCO for football? That's what I was responding to and if that's trash talk then hey so be it but it was not posted by me! Jim my post about Nebraska may have ruffled a few feathers and if Dale figures he can recruit Nebraska more power to him, no its not impossible to get a player from Nebraska but I don't see a pipeline as some others feel there may be. In the future if you guys prove yourselve's can it happen? Who knows I guess you guys do and I don't.

While I don't agree with D1 In Fargo that there aren't good athletes in Montana, I think it would be extremely difficult to get them away from one of the D1AA Montana schools. Nebraska may be a good place to find some good D1AA players, but UND will have to go much farther south to get the speed they will need in 1AA.

I do take exception to some of the UND fans "holier than thou" attitude about being this elite institution that only Rhode Scholars can get into. Their basketball team did have 2 JUCO athletes (Beasley & Myron ALlen) at the same time that were only in Grand Forks because they hadn't gotten the grades or degree from their JUCO to qualify in D1.

Just responding to this one D1. Unless you're gonna say you didn't post that now. Showed that NDSU has successfully gone into Nebraska (Mike Brower), and I feel UND could do the same. Go ahead and try to argue other points, but don't play stupid when someone shows your own ignorance.

Wow you guys really like to dream big, I can see a quality DI kid who won't want to go the the Big red machine in Lincoln but will want to go to GF :D

Knock off the smack talk. It's not allowed here.

Bison Fan=SMACK It seems like when the ag college moved up...IT WAS HUGE!!! (and they felt no remorse p*ssing on any school that didn't move) Now that another one has....KINDA SEEMS LIKE SOUR GRAPES from the "big boys!" I'll let Jim do the math but why are we so happy to entertain dorks while they are "SO OFFENDED" by our presence on their board?... :D

Just responding to this one D1. Unless you're gonna say you didn't post that now. Showed that NDSU has successfully gone into Nebraska (Mike Brower), and I feel UND could do the same. Go ahead and try to argue other points, but don't play stupid when someone shows your own ignorance.

I never said I didn't post the comment about dreaming big and Nebraska so if you want to start name calling that's fine I'll leave that to you. What I was taking acception to was nd1sufan allegedly quoting me as saying "While I don't agree with D1 In Fargo that there aren't good athletes in Montana, I think it would be extremely difficult to get them away from one of the D1AA Montana schools. Nebraska may be a good place to find some good D1AA players, but UND will have to go much farther south to get the speed they will need in 1AA."

which I never said anything about Montana not having good athletes. Please read the posts first before being so critical. As I stated to Jim my comment about Nebraska was out of line and thats fine but don't be trying to put words in my mouth. Can you try to post without the name calling or is that not possible?

Bison Fan=SMACK It seems like when the ag college moved up...IT WAS HUGE!!! (and they felt no remorse p*ssing on any school that didn't move) Now that another one has....KINDA SEEMS LIKE SOUR GRAPES from the "big boys!" I'll let Jim do the math but why are we so happy to entertain dorks while they are "SO OFFENDED" by our presence on their board?... :D

I don't know who your talking about over there but on Bisonville there are many posters from UND who talk both seriously and some who post nothing but smack. Its no different then here in that its obvious when someone outside of the UND circle posts anything on here its either considered smack or just garbage by most if its not in agreement with you. As far as sour grapes you couldn't be farther from the truth, the only thing most Bison supporters feel is that a good helping of crow is in order for many on here about the DI move yet you guys talk about it as if your doing it right and NDSU did it all wrong yet you want to use NDSU's/SDSU's hard work to gain entrance into a conference. So when your on that high and mighty stool talking SMACK you might want to stop and think before you do so because if it were not for NDSU and SDSU making the move you'd still be scheduling Crookston.......By the way you didn't see me doing any name calling so who is posting smack?

Have to look at why I wrote what I did. D1 in Fargo stated that quality D1 players would never come up to GF from a state such as Nebraska. I was just pointing to the fact that NDSU was able to pull a quality player out of Nebraska's backyard, which D1 in Fargo thinks is impossible. I too believe there are a lot of quality players locally. Just pointing out an error in his assessment, which happen pretty frequently.

Looks like there was an error in your post there Woden, I never said it was impossible again putting words into my mouth as others here are trying to do. Maybe being so critical of my posts by misquoting me is an error on your part? Guess that's been happening pretty frequently but no suprise.

Well, explain to me what you mean by the post below then. Yes, you didn't say impossible, so you can accuse me of putting words in your mouth, but the intent is basically the same. Is there a difference if I said, "Recruits from Nebraska will never come to GF," or "It will be impossible to get recruits from Nebraska to come to GF?" You've basically said in your post that no player that's good enough to play DI would choose to come to GF. I then pointed out that a very good player (Mike Brower) chose to come to Fargo from Nebraska, so UND should at least have a shot with some of these players. You either now have to admit that you were wrong, and quality players will come to ND from Nebraska, or you have to say that Mike Brower is worthless and that is why NDSU got him. You keep bringing up all these other posts about Montana and what not. I have not mentioned any of them, only your quote on Nebraska. You have continually beat around the bush trying not to admit that you were wrong. Please answer my questions and respond to my post instead of going off on a tangent about how we need to go further south for more speed. I don't care about all that.

Wow you guys really like to dream big, I can see a quality DI kid who won't want to go the the Big red machine in Lincoln but will want to go to GF :D

Well, explain to me what you mean by the post below then. Yes, you didn't say impossible, so you can accuse me of putting words in your mouth, but the intent is basically the same. Is there a difference if I said, "Recruits from Nebraska will never come to GF," or "It will be impossible to get recruits from Nebraska to come to GF?" You've basically said in your post that no player that's good enough to play DI would choose to come to GF. I then pointed out that a very good player (Mike Brower) chose to come to Fargo from Nebraska, so UND should at least have a shot with some of these players. You either now have to admit that you were wrong, and quality players will come to ND from Nebraska, or you have to say that Mike Brower is worthless and that is why NDSU got him. You keep bringing up all these other posts about Montana and what not. I have not mentioned any of them, only your quote on Nebraska. You have continually beat around the bush trying not to admit that you were wrong. Please answer my questions and respond to my post instead of going off on a tangent about how we need to go further south for more speed. I don't care about all that.

Now your a mind reader too?

Once again please read my posts before you post these comments because if you had you would have seen I already responded to Jim and said the comment was out of line ie. wrong ie. not impossilbe, can I be any more clear about it? I have my doubts as to any pipeline to Nebraska but if you guys can get one going more power to you. I see you never bother to respond to any of my other comments but only chose to read into what you thught I said which was incorrect on your part.

• 4 months later...
As good of a place as any to put this.

Hornets in waiting

He turned down this job a few years ago, and with UND now on its way to I-AA, it seems unlikely he'd have much interest in it now. However, the big change since the last time Wanless called him is that UND has obviously changed a.d.'s. I really don't know what sort of relationship Lennon has with Buning.

He turned down this job a few years ago, and with UND now on its way to I-AA, it seems unlikely he'd have much interest in it now. However, the big change since the last time Wanless called him is that UND has obviously changed a.d.'s. I really don't know what sort of relationship Lennon has with Buning.

Wasn't part of his prior decision due to his family? His boys aren't out of school yet, so I would think that would be a big factor.

Never say never...Dale had to take his kids out of Grand Forks once and out of Bistown also, sometimes its the life of a coach.

I didnt know those two werent in the same bowling league, wow, I learned something today!! This day was not a waste!

I wonder if the AD Dale had called was the old AD at Sac State?? When he was asking around about possible openings?? Interesting!!

With UND going DI, I don't see Lennon thinking that Sac State is much of a step up. If anything he will wait until Bohl is hired as Minnesota's coach and then take the NDSU possition.

I don't think he would go to Sac State unless it was a lot more money. He definitely is not going to take a step back and go to the AC. Bohl has earned consideration as the Gopher coach.

A source very close to lennon and UND football told me that Lennon is considering going to Sac State and guess who will be rumored to replace lennon? Roger Thomas.

With all due respect to Roger, if Dale Lennon were to leave UND, I would really prefer that somebody be hired who has actually coached in the past eight years, and who is a bit younger. There are a number of ex-UND assistants who would be excellent candidates, as would Chris Mussman.