SiouxSports.com Forum

DI Decision

UND Fan

Is anyone checking out fan websites for USD or St. Cloud? I would think that USD would give DI very serious consideration if UND decides to move. With SDSU already moving and the NCC further eroding, I think they would probably follow.

Others say that SCSU would also move. That would surprise me but it may happen. I don't think MSU has any intentions of moving and I am sure UNO would simply join the MIAA.

Anyone know what these schools may be thinking?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... UNO would simply join the MIAA.

That's the first, of the things you list, that I'd expect to see.

Why (in any scenario with UNO as a DII) does UNO want to keep flying to Washington for football when the MIAA is a very strong conference and they are right next door.

Is anyone checking out fan websites for USD or St. Cloud? I would think that USD would give DI very serious consideration if UND decides to move. With SDSU already moving and the NCC further eroding, I think they would probably follow.

Others say that SCSU would also move. That would surprise me but it may happen. I don't think MSU has any intentions of moving and I am sure UNO would simply join the MIAA.

USD fan site. They seem to be talking about the D-I move.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index.cgi?board=talk

A couple of months ago one of the corporate types from Leighton Broadcasting was on KNOX talking DI. Leighton is the home of SCSU sports and this guy was on the committee looking at a move to DI. Basically, he said that SCSU would do whatever UND decided to do. They were happy in DII and the NCC but if UND moved up the NCC would probably go away and SCSU would rather move up than down to the NSIC.

I'll be curious about where USD goes. On paper they would appear to have too many obstacles to consider the move right now. But on the other hand, if they can't get into the MIAA there will be lots of alums pissed that USD is playing former NAIA schools while the other three major dakota schools are playing DI competition.

A couple of months ago one of the corporate types from Leighton Broadcasting was on KNOX talking DI. Leighton is the home of SCSU sports and this guy was on the committee looking at a move to DI. Basically, he said that SCSU would do whatever UND decided to do. They were happy in DII and the NCC but if UND moved up the NCC would probably go away and SCSU would rather move up than down to the NSIC.
SCSU moving? Who'd a thunk? SCSU moving has implications about what MSU does. Fans seem to be convinced they won't be seperated. It would be amazing if we suddenly had 3 or 4 more DI schools in the area.

While SCSU doesn't seem to have the ambition or athletic prowess to go DI, they are a quite large school. I think they are bigger than UND in terms of students. They'd also seem to have an easier recruiting time being so close to the Cities.

I don't see Mankato going. They'll be hoping to win at something now. Duluth is the big loser after just getting above the NSIC level and could be drug right back in, though it does seem that Winona athletics is stepping up.

I think USD would have no choice. It does scare me that 5 schools could be potentialy be fighting for the same small group of athletes that UMTC doesn't want. Then again, UMTC has been known to not recruit kids until too late. On the other hand, scheduling will be easier and the games more meaningful. That should also help attendance.

It's a very interesting and crazy time.

Has UND been in contact with other NCC schools about moving up? If all those schools decide to leave, will they all still have to pay the NCC fine?

There has been quite a bit of discussion about DI on the USD Coyote Fan Board.

Also, it sounds like Doug Fullerton will be interviewed at 4:00 today on a South Dakota radio station that is the flagship for USD sports, so they must be talking about it down there. You can listen online here.

Personally I'd like to see USD move up along with UND (if we go).

There has been quite a bit of discussion about DI on the USD Coyote Fan Board.

Also, it sounds like Doug Fullerton will be interviewed at 4:00 today on a South Dakota radio station that is the flagship for USD sports, so they must be talking about it down there. You can listen online here.

Personally I'd like to see USD move up along with UND (if we go).

Thanks for the post- the interview is starting right now!

Some very interesting comments by Fullerton:

He feels the Big Sky will expand soon - it could be as easily to 12 teams as 10.

He has concerns about losing BSC teams to other conferences. Therefore, the BSC should not burn bridges with any prospective member.

The President's No. 1 concern is inviting the "right" kind of university - they want schools with the full package of academics, research and athletics. He feels both SUs and UND easily fit that definition.

The biggest challenge with the Dakota schools is geography. Travel costs and time away from class are issues but he also has concerns about the vast geography creating cliques (sp) that would be detrimental to the conference.

While the conference would much prefer teams that are already through the transition or partially through it, he indicated that he feels that they like UND and would not be afraid of the fact that UND was just entering the transition period.

Fullerton also stated that another stability problem with a widespread league is that factions develop and will/can develop their own clique and defect to another league together before anyone in the former even hears about it.

I thought it was his same old politician talk. Hopefully UND does not hang their hat on his words and get burned like the SU's have.

Some very interesting comments by Fullerton:

He feels the Big Sky will expand soon - it could be as easily to 12 teams as 10.

While the conference would much prefer teams that are already through the transition or partially through it, he indicated that he feels that they like UND and would not be afraid of the fact that UND was just entering the transition period.

All this talk about UND on a South Dakota radio station, home to USD sports?

I believe Chuck will announce soon that UND will go D1. He has not said if it the transition year will be this year or next, but I believe the D1 issue has been decided. I am not sure how that corresponds with Bunings statements but I believe they are on the same sheet of music. For those of us who have been pushing for this, we need to get out the checkbooks. The bigger donors can make a big difference, but it won't happen without the $50, $100, $1000 etc. that is also very important to supporting college athletics.

Seems with this decision and with the letter to the NCAA he has taken on a new persona which I like.

I believe Chuck will announce soon that UND will go D1. He has not said if it the transition year will be this year or next, but I believe the D1 issue has been decided. I am not sure how that corresponds with Bunings statements but I believe they are on the same sheet of music. For those of us who have been pushing for this, we need to get out the checkbooks. The bigger donors can make a big difference, but it won't happen without the $50, $100, $1000 etc. that is also very important to supporting college athletics.

Seems with this decision and with the letter to the NCAA he has taken on a new persona which I like.

Were there not several internal meetings last week that all pointed to an affirmative decision on DI? I'd be shocked if the exploratory year is delayed: recruiting issues, especially with football, would get really difficult.

Were there not several internal meetings last week that all pointed to an affirmative decision on DI? I'd be shocked if the exploratory year is delayed: recruiting issues, especially with football, would get really difficult.

There were, but although I believe the decision has been made, I do not believe the timing issue was decided upon. You are right about recruiting. In some cases it might help, in others it will hurt because of the playoff issue.

My guess is that if the Mid Con takes NDSU and SDSU, you'll see UND and then USD declaring their exploritory year to be 2007-2008 with the Mid Con/Great West picking them both up in 2008-09.

Great West:

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Cal Poly

Cal Davis

Mid Con West:

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

SUU

UVSC

Mid Con East:

ORU

UMKC

Oakland

West Ill

IPUPI

IPFW

(assuming SUU drops football, Centenary leaves or gets kicked out)

I don't know where this idea that the great west has an infinite ability to accept teams from the Dakota's has come from, but this is about the thousandth time I've read this scenario for 4 or 5 ex-NCC schools to be in the great west. Right now there is room for one school from the NCC, which will be UND if it takes the spot. As for USD, St. Cloud, Mankato etc. there's no more room. How many times do you really think the California schools are going to want to come out to the dakotas? You really think they want to spend 4 or 5 games flying back and forth from california to go to places like Mankato, St. Cloud, Brookings, Grand Forks, Vermillion? No. The great west was formed out of desperation, and was formed with the idea that the Dakota schools would have one trip per season to california, and the california schools would have one trip to the dakotas per season, which is within budget. The schools in california don't have money to waste coming to minnesota, and the Dakota's that much every season. There gets to be a point where it is better just to go back to being an independent instead of worrying about spending money going thousands of miles to let the dakotas have the good ol NCC back.

If things come to the California schools saying, either we don't add any more members from the northern area, or we quit, who do you think the SU's are going to side with? The schools that executed a boycott of them during their toughest years, or the schools that are giving them some real credibility in I-AA ranks? St. Cloud, USD, and Mankato are really going to be in a tough spot if they think they are going to walk into the great west. Once the conference is back up to six, there's no need for any of them, especially if the SU's are in the mid con also. The conference will be relatively stable, and if it does lose a member (maybe SUU) then the great west can first, make a push for a california school, and then pick the best school out of the three, probably USD, for SDSU's rivalry.

Another point is why would the SU's even want these schools in there conference? If they moved up and were desperate for money, the SU's could pretty much dictate playing terms to the schools for OOC games. The SU's don't need them for anything, they've already just about got their schedules lined up for the next couple years. The NCC schools are going to be the ones desperate for money and home games. All of the schools really didn't do themselves any favors with a boycott of the SU's during these transition years.

And plus, why would the SU's want to give up their recruiting advantage over those schools? They have the conference, they can promise trips to california to recruits, a chance at the playoffs, and plenty of local games. The NCC schools can promise... they'll be sent out to get slaughtered for 8 games a season to bring home money to balance the budget. The more I think about it, the more I think theres about 1 D-I spot left in the area, and everyone after that is going to get screwed hard core.

The California schools don't have much of a choice.

If they want, they can leave the Great West and be independents.

Maybe that's the better option for them if more NCC schools step up and join.

NDSU and SDSU can't control which of the NCC schools upgrades to DI. But we sure as heck can schedule them and save massive amounts of money on travel.

And since we can't control that, we also can't control the fact that we'll be competing for the same local recruits as they will.

That's just the way it is. No use in even talking about it.

The California schools don't have much of a choice.

If they want, they can leave the Great West and be independents.

Maybe that's the better option for them if more NCC schools step up and join.

NDSU and SDSU can't control which of the NCC schools upgrades to DI. But we sure as heck can schedule them and save massive amounts of money on travel.

And since we can't control that, we also can't control the fact that we'll be competing for the same local recruits as they will.

That's just the way it is. No use in even talking about it.

My point is that NDSU and SDSU can schedule those schools and save massive amounts of money OUT OF CONFERENCE. Why would NDSU and SDSU thow away guarunteed games against the california schools, when they can get out of conference games against the old NCC anyway? There's nothing for NDSU and SDSU to gain by admitting those schools. They will have games against them anyway, plus an added advantage over those schools of having a conference. Tell me one benefit that the SU's have by seeing any of the other NCC schools in the great west besides the first one to move up. There aren't any. They would be simply replacing Cal Davis and Cal Poly with Mankato, USD, and St. Cloud. The same schools they are currently trying to move away from. The SU's have a good think going right now with the great west. Why would they give up probably the two most competitive and potential filled schools in the conference, to admit three schools that aren't even sure if they can fund a full alotment of scholarships? Theres absolutely no advantage to it for either school. On top of that, they would both be losing a large recruiting area in pretty much the entire western united states, only to have more schools in minnesota to compete against. Don't believe me? Look how many arizona kids SDSU has signed. How many western kids are on NDSU's roster? Tell me one advantage the SU's gain by having the old NCC admitted to the great west? They certainly don't owe any of those schools a favor after their nice boycott during the toughest years of the transition.

There's one spot in the great west open right now. The first school to move will take, after that, everyone else is screwed.