SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting what different Fullerton quotes the Herald publishes than the Forum...

"The University of North Dakota would be one of the schools we would have on our radar if we were actually looking at the Dakota schools," Fullerton said. "That's a logical partner out there."
Fullerton said he doesn't believe the Big Sky would rule out UND, though UND is behind schools such as NDSU and South Dakota State in the reclassification process. There is a five-year transition process for teams moving from Division II to Division I.

He said UND has strong points. "You're talking about a brand that's bigger than Division II, in my mind," Fullerton said.

Fullerton said he doesn't believe any decision regarding which schools to take a look at will be made until an October Big Sky meeting. Nearly half of the school presidents will miss Tuesday's meeting for various reasons.

Emphasis mine.

Interesting what different Fullerton quotes the Herald publishes than the Forum...Emphasis mine.

The latest news about the confusion on the deadline makes UND's administration look more like a poorly run operation in contrast to Fullertons comments. I understand Fullerton was most likely referring to the facilities at UND but when it comes to who's running the show one would have to ask is it Laurel or Hardy? One last note, its been said Fullerton will pander to his audience, I think those comments are proof positive of that. On one hand he's making statements that you quoted and on the other he's saying more or less that until you declare it's pretty much out of the question. You can argue the semantic's of his comments all you want but I think the remarks about him saying what his audience wants to hear are spot on. I don't see NDSU or SDSU in the BSC anytime soon. I do think we have a very good chance they will be in the Mid-Con. The BSC is pretty much struggling with what to do about given the different priorities of the schools in the conference. West Coast schools are happy with status quo, the Montana schools are not. Nothing new there.

Interesting what different Fullerton quotes the Herald publishes than the Forum...Emphasis mine.

Hmmm, I would guess that would pretty much hand-deliver NDSU and SDSU to the Mid-Con, if we get invited. I don't think the NDSU administration is going to wait until October for a "maybe" if they get a definite "yes" in June.

"You're talking about a brand that's bigger than Division II, in my mind," Fullerton said.

I absolutely love this quote, I just wish it was coming from Kupchella. I agree with those that take Fullerton for a grain of salt, but this captures what most of the alumni base is feeling, in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Kupchella pulling the trigger.

I absolutely love this quote, I just wish it was coming from Kupchella. I agree with those that take Fullerton for a grain of salt, but this captures what most of the alumni base is feeling, in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Kupchella pulling the trigger.

The big problem is the Transition period as well as the issue of being a core DI institution. To meet NCAA requirements for any conference there must be a minimum of 6 active core institutions (core meaning together for 5 years) and no institution counts as a core institution until they have 8 years in DI. This being the case transitional schools are really at a disadvantage when it comes to conference membership. Now with this information it appears the comments from UND gaining immediate conference membership or "not moving up without a conference" very much unrealistic. NDSU and SDSU may not be the shoe in either for the Mid-Con with these requirements. More time in DI is the only cure for that which is the part that hurts. It should still be an interesting next couple of weeks.

No question the rules on moving up are clearly made to discourage the move.....or at the very least do it after much thought about the pain. In the end those that survive will be better off, but clearly with the rules that exist.....it is a real challenge for a program to jump.......

No question the rules on moving up are clearly made to discourage the move.....or at the very least do it after much thought about the pain. In the end those that survive will be better off, but clearly with the rules that exist.....it is a real challenge for a program to jump.......

What's become of those harsh rules is that (in many, not all cases) the schools that don't have much to lose in a transition are going DI; of course, many of those schools are the last ones that should be moving up. Examples? Pick your favorite recent jump "DI" commuter school with a smaller fan base than an NCC school, a broken overall school budget, and an athletic budget smaller than Augustana's.

Alternatively, if you do have something to lose, meaning you probably are better suited to move up, you'll be hesitant to move up because of what you may lose.

I wish the NCAA rules "were to become less mercenary and more educationally rational." If the NCAA is all about student-athlete opportunities, explain to me why a school deciding to change levels to be more with peers is forced to have a generation (meaning five years) of student-athletes with no post-season opportunities.

In summary: I said it three years ago; I say it today: The NCAA system is broken.

What's become of those harsh rules is that (in many, not all cases) the schools that don't have much to lose in a transition are going DI; of course, many of those schools are the last ones that should be moving up. Examples? Pick your favorite recent jump "DI" commuter school with a smaller fan base than an NCC school, a broken overall school budget, and an athletic budget smaller than Augustana's.

Alternatively, if you do have something to lose, meaning you probably are better suited to move up, you'll be hesitant to move up because of what you may lose.

I wish the NCAA rules "were to become less mercenary and more educationally rational." If the NCAA is all about student-athlete opportunities, explain to me why a school deciding to change levels to be more with peers is forced to have a generation (meaning five years) of student-athletes with no post-season opportunities.

In summary: I said it three years ago; I say it today: The NCAA system is broken.

Unfortunately, the ONLY option to the NCAA is NAIA, which provides even less opportunities. There is a reason that monopolies get broken up.

If the rules were different and it was made easy to move from one division to the next schools would be jumping around way to much. I think the existing rules have served the NCAA very well. No one said it was supposed to be easy. Those things in life worth having rarely come without a price. This is no different.

Unfortunately, the ONLY option to the NCAA is NAIA, which provides even less opportunities. There is a reason that monopolies get broken up.

There's nothing stopping any group of schools from leaving the NCAA and playing just with themselves.

As if thats any suprise?;)

Looks like NDSU and SDSU will be heading to the Mid-Con.

And unfortunately, as I predicted, UND will continue to toil in DII for the foreseeable future. Luckily, I think we can get a pretty good border-battle rivalry going with Presentation College in Aberdeen. No interest from the Big Sky means Kupchella says DII is the way to go. :)

Argus Leader Link

Big Sky Conference leaders are developing a plan to look at adding a 10th member to the league.

From article:

The league is not looking at plans to increase its membership to 12.

That is directly contradictory to what Fox News at Nine (from Fargo) sports reported last night. Their report stated that Fullerton was tasked with putting together examinations of both 10 and 12 team conference alignments.

Who does one believe?

I guess it's not just conference commissioners that we have to watch every word of. :)

It might, but not by much.

The game with Centenary might not be a highlight, but games with Minnesota, Montana, Illinois, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, USC, Cal-Poly, Montana St, UC Davis, Northern Colorado, Boston College, UW Milwaukee, Butler, Marquette, Texas Tech, Kansas St, Creighton, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Air Force, Wyoming, UMKC, etc, sure as hell are. This is only a partial list of the teams NDSU and SDSU have played over the last few years in many different sports. Are they any more interesting than the competition you have mentioned? Not to mention the fact that NDSU and SDSU will be playing for a NCAA birth if invited to the MidCon. Is that any better than playing UMC and Mary in bball? It's too bad UND won't be joining us in this voyage. It's where you guys belong as well.

Sure....it will be a hell of a lot better than your game against CROOKSTON............Jesus.......why even say such stupid !@$!....... ;)

Wyo you have to remember the source. The truth of the matter is not only was this a letdown for us NDSU fans but for those Sioux fans hoping for DI after yesterday BinCitySioux is absolutely correct. No way Kupchella makes any move now. After listening to Douple yesterday as well no conference invite to a DII will be forthcoming anytime soon. What is different for UND now as opposed to 6 months or 6 years from now? Until you declare and toil through the independant waters of DI no conference will be calling the sioux. Last but certainly not least when your president isn't behind the move to DI its a tough sell to conference presidents that make those decisions.