SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

You want to play semantics fine, ...

Naw, I'd rather play pinochle.

As far as Dr. K's official on-the-record position, from February 2002:

The University of North Dakota is open to an eventual move to Division I, but there is no great interest among our athletic staff, coaches, or boosters and we see no particular gain to making such a move at this time. We do not believe that such a move would currently be in the best interests of our students or the people of North Dakota. If NCAA rules were to become less mercenary and more educationally rational; if the rapid escalation of the cost of Division I sports were to be reversed somehow; if the restrictions on schools making the move were made less severe; or if very many NCC schools make the move to D-I; then we could well give it some extra consideration.

Funny, I don't see "conference" in there from him. Seems you're the one out of 'Cinq'(-ue).

I just couldn't resist that homophonic play on words. :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, I'd rather play pinochle.

As far as Dr. K's official on-the-record position, from February 2002:

Funny, I don't see "conference" in there from him. Seems you're the one out of 'Cinq'(-ue).

I just couldn't resist that homophonic play on words. :)

I've been hearing the same line for so long regarding the "conference in hand" that I started thinking that those were the official words of the UND admin. Sorry and thanks for the correction, Sicatoka.

I've been hearing the same line for so long regarding the "conference in hand" that I started thinking that those were the official words of the UND admin. Sorry and thanks for the correction, Sicatoka.

If you want to see those words you must look at the Carr Reports to NDSU and SDSU (my emphasis added).

The Consultants recommend that the University begin the transition process, but only after it has achieved the following:

- Secure an acceptable conference membership before making the decision to reclassify to I-AA.

AFter reading and responding to your fantasy thread in regards to your upcoming BSC invite it is obvious there is no discussing anything with you guys that requires common sense or reason. So enjoy your fantasy island. Hey its de plane de plane hahaha better jump on board its apparently heading west to the Big Sky for you guys only. :)

well you guys have just realized the conCINQUEences of diving headfirst into the "BIG" world of DI...attracting so-called student/athletes with absolutely NO interest in academics...CONGRATS!!! :D That WAS a huge step up ;)

This kind of thing happens at all levels the only difference here is that when your the premier Institution in the state everything is magnified so everyone talks about it. When you guys have a student athelete not make the grade no one hears about it becuase no one cares :D:lol:

This kind of thing happens at all levels the only difference here is that when your the premier Institution in the state everything is magnified so everyone talks about it. When you guys have a student athelete not make the grade no one hears about it becuase no one cares :D;)

2005 NCAA Report on the Federal Graduation Rates Data (data relects 1998-1999 rates, found 2001 graduation rate for UND 77%, but couldn't find same for NDSU-maybe none graduated?)

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_...l_gsr_data.html

University of North Dakota Student Athlete Graduation Rate 71%

North Dakota State University Student Athlete Graduation Rate 63%

:lol::D:D

well you guys have just realized the conCINQUEences of diving headfirst into the "BIG" world of DI...attracting so-called student/athletes with absolutely NO interest in academics...CONGRATS!!! :D That WAS a huge step up ;)

You mean like your hockey teams - with most of the girls quiting and some of the guys going pro early I can imagine the rates will go down. :lol:

2005 NCAA Report on the Federal Graduation Rates Data (data relects 1998-1999 rates, found 2001 graduation rate for UND 77%, but couldn't find same for NDSU-maybe none graduated?)

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_...l_gsr_data.html

University of North Dakota Student Athlete Graduation Rate 71%

North Dakota State University Student Athlete Graduation Rate 63%

4 class average NDSU 63%

UND 61%

You mean like your hockey teams - with most of the girls quiting and some of the guys going pro early I can imagine the rates will go down. :lol:

Quitting the team and staying in school. Going pro because your that damn good and quitting school.

Hmm, a lot different that getting kicked out of school because your so bad academically that tutors, summer school and 'the athlete' slack combined can't get your grades up to even minimum standards!!. :D

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/footba...RELEASE_ID=4938

Brady Trenbeath wins Thomas J. Clifford Freshman Award

5/19/2006

Freshman football player honored for academic excellence, leadership

Trenbeath, a native of Cavalier, N.D., and a 2004 graduate of Cavalier High School, owns a 3.85 cumulative grade point average, including a perfect 4.0 GPA during the 2006 spring semester. A biology major, Trenbeath is also a member of the President

... with most of the girls quiting ...

(cough) Bison (cough) volleyball (cough-cough)

... and some of the guys going pro early ...

Don't worry about those lads, most (with bonus) will make more next year than you'll make next decade.

And the new NCAA standard allows for athletes who leave in good academic standing to not negatively impact the graduation rate statistic calculations that affect whether or not you will have your maximum number of scholarships cut.

So losing five guys in good standing (Spirko, Zajac, Smaby, Stafford, probably Parise) makes the graduation numbers look bad, but the key number, will it affect max allowed scholarships, won't be hurt like it would be if say you lost a #2 tailback and a possible starting DB to academic failure off a football team.

These are things to know about DI. ;)

Don't worry about those lads, most (with bonus) will make more next year than you'll make next decade.

And the new NCAA standard allows for athletes who leave in good academic standing to not negatively impact the graduation rate statistic calculations that affect whether or not you will have your maximum number of scholarships cut.

So losing five guys in good standing (Spirko, Zajac, Smaby, Stafford, probably Parise) makes the graduation numbers look bad, but the key number, will it affect max allowed scholarships, won't be hurt like it would be if say you lost a #2 tailback and a possible starting DB to academic failure off a football team.

These are things to know about DI. :lol:

He was at best a backup or third stringer. If you want to try to post smack at least get the facts before posting. ;)

These are things to know about DI. :lol:

As usual your arrogance can't help from showing - you act like UND never has any athletes that are academic failures. We'll see how many this fall - ;) Oh I forgot, the gfherald doesn't print negitive stories about UND.

If you want to try to post smack at least get the facts before posting. :lol:

Look who's calling the kettle black!! ;)

http://www.bisoninsider.com/reaction.html

A number of players that will be key performers this fall did not play. Mike Maresh, Nick Compton, Shamen Washington, Travis White, Cinque Chapman, Ryan Olson and of course Steve Walker did not participate.

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=127881

If you can read, not sure about that, did they teach you reading at UND. Look at my post. I highlighted the DB comment not the running back position. You do have the typical UND mentality or lack thereof. ;)

I do have the 'typical UND'mentality. But I have to admit that I only skim through your posts. I'm having fun with the UND/NDSU student athlete academic comparisons. UND IS SO FAR AHEAD it's just fun playing with your little pointy head. My posts are meant and succeed in showing you as a smack talking troll who comes on SS.com for no other reason.

It's not my intent to make fun of the NDSU players who are academically inelgible to do the thing they went to NDSU to do. It's unfortunate that the NDSU leadship, coaches and fellow players, were not available and/or willing to help these kids before it got to the point of suspension. They're academic failures could readily be predicted just by looking at their HS or previous school transcripts.

Their failures are also the failure of NDSU, the NDSU football staff and NDSU football players in leadership roles.

I do have the 'typical UND'mentality. But I have to admit that I only skim through your posts. I'm having fun with the UND/NDSU student athlete academic comparisons. UND IS SO FAR AHEAD it's just fun playing with your little pointy head. My posts are meant and succeed in showing you as a smack talking troll who comes on SS.com for no other reason.

It's not my intent to make fun of the NDSU players who are academically inelgible to do the thing they went to NDSU to do. It's unfortunate that the NDSU leadship, coaches and fellow players, were not available and/or willing to help these kids before it got to the point of suspension. They're academic failures could readily be predicted just by looking at their HS or previous school transcripts.

Their failures are also the failure of NDSU, the NDSU football staff and NDSU football players in leadership roles.

I guess I was wrong is isn't arrogance it's your ignorance thats funny - like no UND athletes EVER failed academically? Failure in this area is the players fault, as most programs give the student athletes all the resources they need to be sucessful.

It's unfortunate that the NDSU leadship, coaches and fellow players, were not available and/or willing to help these kids before it got to the point of suspension. They're academic failures could readily be predicted just by looking at their HS or previous school transcripts.

This is a complete bull$h!t statment. How do you know this? You have nothing to back this other than your assumptions.

At least in this part of the country student athletes are held to a higher standard and required to get good grades. That's not always the case at larger BCS schools (according to folks I know at a SEC school). Sometimes their students even go to class. This is a stupid argument.

This kind of thing happens at all levels the only difference here is that when your the premier Institution in the state everything is magnified so everyone talks about it. When you guys have a student athelete not make the grade no one hears about it becuase no one cares :D:lol:

Congrats your the premier AG university in the state. Good for you. So much for those other things like business, medicine, engineering, and law, you've got the best sheepsheering program out there. You talk about D-I when you guys should be talking about tier 4. Yeah that's where you guys got ranked. UND was tier 3. So much for premier institution in the state.

Congrats your the premier AG university in the state. Good for you. So much for those other things like business, medicine, engineering, and law, you've got the best sheepsheering program out there. You talk about D-I when you guys should be talking about tier 4. Yeah that's where you guys got ranked. UND was tier 3. So much for premier institution in the state.

Yeah right whatever, your jealousy is showing again. You guys can talk all you want but your still DII. Don't see that changing, Don't see the university or the city growing like NDSU or Fargo. So talk about the BSC which is what this thread was supposed to be for but for you guys its a pipe dream. SDSU and NDSU which are DI schools didn't get in for two reasons, travel concerns and west coast bias. The only shot you might have at the bias part is Sac-State and wanless being cheerleaders for you but none of the other schools will even give you a second thought. Your DII, you can say other schools have moved up with conference invites in hand but I will believe it when I see it which will be NEVER. So go ahead and tout obscure stats from unknown sources about how great UND is, your still DII and falling further behind NDSU which is the premier school in the state. You can't stop progress and growth both of which NDSU and the city of Fargo have and will continue to experience. GF and UND, well good luck in DII you are where a majority of your faculty and fans think you should be according to kupchella and CO.

Quitting the team and staying in school. Going pro because your that damn good and quitting school.

Hmm, a lot different that getting kicked out of school because your so bad acedemically that tutors, summer school and 'the athlete' slack combined can't get your grades up to even minimum standards!!. ;)