SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Presidents Meet on May 23rd

star2city

What will the Big Sky do on May23rd?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BSC expand? Which schools get added?

• No action. No schools will be added
    • Add three schools: UND, NDSU, SDSU
    • Add one school: NDSU
    • Add one school: SDSU
    • Add one school: Southern Utah
    • Study the situation

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or did the city come up with another way to scam fema and distribute the funds to UND?

Scamming FEMA after a flood was a Fargodome ploy I believe. And then I believe NDSU took the short end of a stick from Fargodome after that. How'd that all ever come out in the courts?

As far as possible donations, you need to look at other sections of this board.

Scamming FEMA after a flood was a Fargodome ploy I believe. And then I believe NDSU took the short end of a stick from Fargodome after that. How'd that all ever come out in the courts?

As far as possible donations, you need to look at other sections of this board.

gf already had to pay back funds that were not properly used. How about the new fb turf that was due for replacement in 98 that was 90% funded by fema. The list could go on and on but at this point who cares.

Seems like some DII schools down south are getting conference invites from DI conferences that are desparate for new members.

I guess the few DI conferences that would take teams from the upper midwest are just not interested in doing that.

I don't think UND will get considered until they declare DI on their own.

NO, you guys have it all wrong. Here's what I see happening. Tomorrow Kupchella is going to have the donation conference. There going to roll out a huge cake, and all of a sudden.... FULLERTON IS GOING TO JUMP OUT WITH A CHECK FOR A 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND ATHLETICS AND SCREAM "YOUR IN THE BIG SKY, CONGRATS". THEN, AN NCAA REP IS GOING TO COME OUT AND PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE TO YOU FOR THE BEING WRONG ABOUT THE FIGHTING SIOUX NAME, AND ANNOUNCE A SETTLEMENT OF 200 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND. THE GOVENOR IS THEN GOING TO ANNOUNCE THAT EVERY YEAR ON THIS DATE IS OFFICIALLY UND DAY!!!!!!.

So what happened? Despite all of the assurances I've heard about the big sky giving out invites today, the huge amount of media outlets saying this was incorrect prevaled? I don't get it? I thought it was a done deal. Guess we'll have to start the speculation for next october soon, huh?

So what happened? Despite all of the assurances I've heard about the big sky giving out invites today, the huge amount of media outlets saying this was incorrect prevaled? I don't get it? I thought it was a done deal. Guess we'll have to start the speculation for next october soon, huh?

There were 26 votes saying no teams would be added.

...... Here's what I see happening. Tomorrow Kupchella is going to have the donation conference. There going to roll out a huge cake, and all of a sudden.... FULLERTON IS GOING TO JUMP OUT WITH A CHECK FOR A 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND ATHLETICS AND SCREAM "YOUR IN THE BIG SKY, CONGRATS". THEN, AN NCAA REP IS GOING TO COME OUT AND PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE TO YOU FOR THE BEING WRONG ABOUT THE FIGHTING SIOUX NAME, AND ANNOUNCE A SETTLEMENT OF 200 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND. THE GOVENOR IS THEN GOING TO ANNOUNCE THAT EVERY YEAR ON THIS DATE IS OFFICIALLY UND DAY!!!!!!.

Cool! I think all of that would be fair!! :)

Ask me after tomorrow.

I think after the Big Sky deciding that expansion ain't on the agenda, that the DI issue at UND is an all but dead issue. The only thing keeping it on life-support at this point is tomorrow's upcoming announcement about the large endowment. However, the plug could be pulled tomorrow as that could very well have nothing to do with athletics. I'm still holding out hope, but I'm also doing alot of research on the University of Mary because it appears that that is who we will be competing with for in-state bragging rights for the forseeable future (until Kupchella retires). :) I think it is an unfortunate situation. I enjoyed competing against NDSU and SDSU, both of which being two major institutions of higher learning in our region. I would assume that fans of the University of North Dakota who have followed the program since the 60's and 70's are even more bummed out, since they got to see UND compete against not only NDSU & SDSU, but also schools like Montana, Montana St. Northern Iowa, UNLV, and Minnesota. In my opinion it is unfortunate that Dr. Kupchella views UM-Crookston, Upper Iowa, and Ferris St. as peers of UND, rather than NDSU, Montana, SDSU, and Montana St.

So much negativity from you. Can't figure out why you decided to come here. We have enough Bison fans that don't know what they are talking about. Let me just point out this reference.

Then once July 1st (your newly extended deadline, becuase someone didn't notice it was June 1st - someone should have been fired on that one) comes around Kupchella will make the announcement to stay in DII. He's already got more than enough ammo for the decision.

This was the NCAAs mistake and that's why the date was pushed. They never updated their online manual (IIRC), which doesn't even take into account that they made the change part way into the year. I just stayed in a Holiday Inn, though. So maybe The Sicatoka can help you out better on this one, since I believe he was the one that did some digging on the NCAA manual.

Everyone is just speculating. Just like you are doing. Big whoop. I would think that most of us realize we aren't going DI-AA or getting right into a conference. But it COULD happen and there is precedent.

I also enjoy this quote:

If you do, get ready for a rough 4-5 years before you even start seeing anything good come out of the decision.

Gee, and all these Bison fans had me thinking that it would be a cake walk. :) Didn't one of your higher ups say something about being in a conference after 1 year?

NO, you guys have it all wrong. Here's what I see happening. Tomorrow Kupchella is going to have the donation conference. There going to roll out a huge cake, and all of a sudden.... FULLERTON IS GOING TO JUMP OUT WITH A CHECK FOR A 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND ATHLETICS AND SCREAM "YOUR IN THE BIG SKY, CONGRATS". THEN, AN NCAA REP IS GOING TO COME OUT AND PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE TO YOU FOR THE BEING WRONG ABOUT THE FIGHTING SIOUX NAME, AND ANNOUNCE A SETTLEMENT OF 200 MILLION DOLLARS TO UND. THE GOVENOR IS THEN GOING TO ANNOUNCE THAT EVERY YEAR ON THIS DATE IS OFFICIALLY UND DAY!!!!!!.

You're always so negative as well. We all get the picture. You don't like UND. You don't like NDSU. Nothing will work out. Blah, blah, blah.

WE GOT IT! You've been recognized. Now get over yourself. There is nothing wrong with people speculating. It may get other peoples' hopes up, but I'd like to think most of us are realists. Lets not forget, that neither you or I have any idea what Kupchella might do.

....... If you do, get ready for a rough 4-5 years before you even start seeing anything good come out of the decision. Odds are though, it isn't happening.

That's a good point that Smoggy made. I am surprised that as big an NDSU supporter as NanoBison is, that entering their 4th year of DI he hasn't seen anything good come out of NDSU's decision to go DI. :)

Forgive my ignorance,

How does money factor into the decision if we don't have a conference?

The two biggest things are increasing scholarships (football would nearly double, also have to add alot of women's schollies to offset), and increased travel costs. DII is largely a bus-ride division, DI is mostly an airplane-ride division (i.e. hockey)

You're always so negative as well. We all get the picture. You don't like UND. You don't like NDSU. Nothing will work out. Blah, blah, blah.

WE GOT IT! You've been recognized. Now get over yourself. There is nothing wrong with people speculating. It may get other peoples' hopes up, but I'd like to think most of us are realists. Lets not forget, that neither you or I have any idea what Kupchella might do.

Hey, I don't want to hear it. After all the !@$! people were running there mouths about to me, and all I did was state reality, and I got called everything from an idiot to and SDSU fan for it. Then I make one single post when proved right, and I get you telling me how I don't like blah blah blah. I don't have a problem with any institution. I don't have a problem with speculation. I do have a problem with posts that are so far out of touch with reality, that the poster doesn't even know what their talking about. I'm thinking maybe getting mocked a little bit will make some people think before they trash other posters in the future for not agreeing with their skewed perspective of reality. Sorry if you can't take that.

Yep, its called the Great West football conference. It may not be stable, it may not be great (well actually its pretty decent), and we may be looking for an established conference now.... but it was in place within a year if I'm not mistaken, with help from Douple, who is now MidCon commish. Hopefully that works in our favor.

I never stated anything of the fact, at least not in my opinion. What you read, was my impression of UND's position on the matter of DI, since you guys seem to raise your standards so damn high all you can do is fall down. Some of you also seem to think your going to ride NDSU's/SDSU's coattails into DI without doing any work. Don't deny it either, I can show you the posts from this board saying you should commend Kupchella for making the decision to wait until now.

NDSU is doing awesome right now, not that you or any UND fan cares. We may still be looking for a conference, but I'm hopeful with the MidCon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until 2008 when we are eligible for playoffs. Bison football is going to be awesome this fall. We've got 2 DI-A games (U of M baby!!!) and an assortment of awesome DI-AA talent as well. We've been doing just fine in my opinion. I see us in a few years hopefully moving up to DI-A. I don't care if we're at the bottom of the bucket of DI-A, since we'll be at that level. The top.

Sorry if you misread my last post.

I think you "mis-posted" your last post. It was not misread.

Money or not, it was previously stated that UND would not make the move up without a confernce invite in hand. With that being said and what happened on Tuesday (or what didn't happen) should pretty much tell you what his (kupchella) decision will be. Unless he's come to the realization that you will have to declare before any conference will take you seriously your future for now anyway is in DII. No smack just stating the facts. Reading this thread one could ask the question why isn't he making the decision but based on your own study's and research it would appear the majority don't want the move up or are not in favor of it (at least not without conference affiliation which has already been addressed) so I don't think its the end of the world as many on here make it sound. Many faculty and fans appear to be happy with DII up there and there is nothing wrong with that, the majority should be heard.

Money or not, it was previously stated that UND would not make the move up without a confernce invite in hand. With that being said and what happened on Tuesday (or what didn't happen) should pretty much tell you what his (kupchella) decision will be. Unless he's come to the realization that you will have to declare before any conference will take you seriously your future for now anyway is in DII. No smack just stating the facts. Reading this thread one could ask the question why isn't he making the decision but based on your own study's and research it would appear the majority don't want the move up or are not in favor of it (at least not without conference affiliation which has already been addressed) so I don't think its the end of the world as many on here make it sound. Many faculty and fans appear to be happy with DII up there and there is nothing wrong with that, the majority should be heard.

It is possible with what transpired on Tuesday, that Kupchella may have received some direction from Fullerton on making the decision. I know that the line from the administration has been "no move without a conference"

for some time. The fact that Fullerton and the Mid-Con have both said in the past week that there will be no invitation without first declaring may give Kupchella all he needs to pull the trigger. Sure he will have to eat some crow and take some heat, but he can point to something and say this is why I can now do it, whereas he didn't have that from before. Previous data, such as the Carr Report, directed schools to not make the move without a conference.

I'm still surprised that Bison fans are so worried about what a "lil' ol' DII" is doing.

You'd think they'd have one or two other matters to attend to.

Now there's a brilliant retort. I could care a less, but with so many sioux fans posting on Bisonville I do occassionally like to come over here and see all the squawking and backpeddling as your president tries to decide what to do. Besides its easy to tell that your still around Both NDSU and SDSU can feel you guys riding our coat tails trying to get to DI :)

It was previously stated that UND would not make the move up without a confernce invite in hand.

Show me an exact quote in a reputable source where this has been said.

You won't, because no one at UND said it. It has been stated that having a conference lined up would HELP. It would not be required.

Remember that game you use to play in elementary school, the telephone game, pass the saying down the line and see how it gets messed up by the end. Bison Fans keep messing up the sayings.

Show me an exact quote in a reputable source where this has been said.

You won't, because no one at UND said it. It has been stated that having a conference lined up would HELP. It would not be required.

Remember that game you use to play in elementary school, the telephone game, pass the saying down the line and see how it gets messed up by the end. Bison Fans keep messing up the sayings.

Do you work in politics or have you just had your head in the sand. You want to play semantics fine, it's been well reported by the media that kupchella has said he would only be interested in a move up if a conference invite was in the works. No conference before equals no move. Now he's reconsidering "maybe" and your already doing your best at backpeddling away from that comment as you now know how foolish it was. Nice try but that dog won't hunt. :)