NCAA Ruling

Sioux Grandpa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true

The NCAA Executive Committee today retained the University of Illinois, Champaign, the University of North Dakota and Indiana University of Pennsylvania on the list of colleges and universities subject to restrictions on the use of Native American mascots, names and imagery at NCAA championships.

Edit -- update, link improved

Hey, cool, they made up some more new rules to the game! :D;)

The Executive Committee also removed Bradley University from the list of schools subject to restrictions and placed the institution on a five-year watch list.

This "watch list" is new. Where'd this come from?

Arbitrary.

Capricious.

I'm sure the right honorable judge will find that just as fascinating as I do.

I just wanted to express my surprise and, to a certain extent, outrage, that the NCAA continues to not rule in your favor.

Best of luck to UND as the fight continues (I assume, at least, that it will continue).

Thats fine Bruce the NCAA is going to get their ass sued anyways and I don't see how we can lose in a court of law on this one. Then we will see that the NCAA is going to lose this battle. If UND could get an injuction they could have this in court for years.

Just saw on the TV that the NCAA is still standing behind their ruling that UND's name & logo is hostile & abusive.

As always happens in this day and age that lacks reason, bring on the lawyers! It's too bad it has to come to this, but let's show them we are part of a sovereign nation where courts of law will carry the day, and the tribal council will have power only where they should, within' their own sovereign nation. As for the NCAA PC police :D ....nuff said.....

Just saw on the TV that the NCAA is still standing behind their ruling that UND's name & logo is hostile & abusive.

I am schocked and dismayed, I am not sure if i can be both but I am. I think it is time for a lawsuit and that the NCAA needs to think more about what they are doing then to worry about money. UND has the support of two local tribes and Florida state has the support of 1. They have a white man on a horse and in war paint with a spear, UND has a emblem and a name. I can see how one would be confused to think that UND is the same. No I can not and I think that people need to finally be outraged and do something. Ia m tired of my favorite sports team being singled out. The NCAA is a joke and will continue to be a joke untill they realize that they are not able to be the all powerfull communist that they are acting like. What happen to a school having the right to pick their own name. This is the biggest amount of BS in history.

I have said it before on SS.com it is now time for Dorgan, Pomeroy and Conrad to get off their butts and challenge this kinds of crap. I might be a tad hostile and abusive today.

I want to hear from PETA on the Gophers? Or the Fighting Irish. I guess the darlings of the NCAA would never do any wrong.

Again, I am shocked, SHOCKED that a group that is as spineless as the NCAA could rule this way... :D

The problem is that they might just be able hold it up in court since they will take the position that they, as a governing body, have a right to make rulings such as this and enforce them, no matter what. Their position will be that if UND doesn't like it, we can simply withdraw our membership...Of course, we believe that since they have a virtual monopoly and withdrawing is not an option, they should not be allowed to act in this arbitrary and capricious manner...or can they??? We'll soon see...

Fighting Sioux Forever, w/ort the NCAA ruling. I'll always wear my jerseys to games and other events. No matter what...

What happens when UND sues them and losses?

UND would essentially be suing an ogranization they voluntarily want to belong to that has said you play by our rules or you can leave or be forced out.

Yeah I know there could be slander etc, my guess would be the judge would side with the NCAA. I'm sure the NCAA knew what they were getting into when they started it all.

Personally, I am relieved that the NCAA has ruled in this manner!

This now takes the issue back to where it belongs, between the University of North Dakota and the NCAA. If the appeal was based on ever changing tribal governments, no final resolution would have ever been reached. It would have been subject to change dependent upon the current prevailing political climate on the reservations.

I believe this is the time to move forward on two fronts.

First, litigation must be brought against the NCAA. I am confident that UND will be successful in this legal battle to retain use of the Fighting Sioux name and logo while continuing to participate fully in the NCAA.

Second, I think UND should now move toward D-I status. While making this transition, the playoff issue will be a mute point other than for the hockey program. This will give ample time to fight the ruling legally and move the University to a level playing field with its natural rival NDSU. As for the hockey program, I am sure that REA would be happy to sell an alternate hockey jersey designed for use in NCAA tournament play.

Forever Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have said it before on SS.com it is now time for Dorgan, Pomeroy and Conrad to get off their butts and challenge this kinds of crap. I might be a tad hostile and abusive today.

I want to hear from PETA on the Gophers? Or the Fighting Irish. I guess the darlings of the NCAA would never do any wrong.

Now its time for these three guys to stop sitting on both sides of the fence and come down one way or another. Of course they don't want to do this because they want to have it both ways. Maybe we should call their office and voice our displeaure.

UND would essentially be suing an ogranization they voluntarily want to belong to that has said you play by our rules or you can leave or be forced out.

Where else can UND go?

The NCAA has college athletics so tied up that they bought the National Invitiational Tournament (NIT) recently to eliminate that competition in March.

The NCAA is a ruling away from getting nailed under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

Now its time for these three guys to stop sitting on both sides of the fence and come down one way or another. Of course they don't want to do this because they want to have it both ways. Maybe we should call their office and voice our displeaure.

I agree and I will post their numbers to their offices in a few minutes. Also if you go to NCAA.org there is a link under President Myles Brand bio that lets you email mr. Brand. I have already done so and others should follow.

Will get those numbers and post them shortly.

I agree and I will post their numbers to their offices in a few minutes. Also if you go to NCAA.org there is a link under President Myles Brand bio that lets you email mr. Brand. I have already done so and others should follow.

Will get those numbers and post them shortly.

Here are the numbers for the three senators and congressman from ND. Make sure you call and tell them to get on this issue.

Byron Dorgan

Bismarck office-701-250-4618...Fargo office-701-239-5389...Grand Forks-701-746-8972

Washington D.C.-202-224-2551.

Earl Pomeroy

Washington D.C.-202-225-2611...Bismarck office-701-224-0355..Fargo office-701-235-0760

Kent Conrad

Washington D.C. office-202-224-2043...Grand Forks-701-775-9601...Fargo office-701-232-8030

Bismarck office-701-258-4648

Please call. Good Luck and Go Sioux!

If anything, UND should continue to compete in and win in NCAA events, even if it requires alternative jerseys. Just make sure they have DAKOTA on them!

It's the NCAA's loss if they don't want another regional hosted at the Ralph...at least this year's was one of the most memorable of all-time!

Here are the numbers for the three senators and congressman from ND. Make sure you call and tell them to get on this issue.

Byron Dorgan

Bismarck office-701-250-4618...Fargo office-701-239-5389...Grand Forks-701-746-8972

Washington D.C.-202-224-2551.

Earl Pomeroy

Washington D.C.-202-225-2611...Bismarck office-701-224-0355..Fargo office-701-235-0760

Kent Conrad

Washington D.C. office-202-224-2043...Grand Forks-701-775-9601...Fargo office-701-232-8030

Bismarck office-701-258-4648

Please call. Good Luck and Go Sioux!

E-mail addresses? Let's hit them via the telephone and internet!