SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

Does anyone else think that Smaby might actually get more $$$ if he actually waited until after his senior year to sign as a free agent. He has really moved from a 2nd round draft pick to an elite D-men and TB isn't known for big contracts (it's also not a great hockey town).

This part can't happen unless Tampa Bay literally has no interest in his ever becoming a part of their organization. I would guess they will give him something a little better than RP and Irmen got and that will be a lot more than he can get as a free agent.

I guess it might be possible if he could play for the Sioux next year and then step straight into the NHL at a rookie free agent max. I suspect he will see AHL time though, so he would be giving up a lot to return.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Get your final autographs from JPar and Smaby tonight.

JPar to the Devils, on good authority.

Smaby to Tampa. We all figured that.

Zajac is getting courted hard.

Bummer, if all true, as I am quite sure that it is.

Let's hope that Sparky does not decide to go home.

I have to admit I thought we would have heard about Smaby by now. There must be a few I's to dot and T's to cross but Tampa needs help On D today not tomorrow. As for JPar, it would make sense because the Devs don't have a reliable backup to Brodeur and we have the good old pipeline to NJ. I hope Zajac goes with his heart and stays to play with his brother next year but I won't hold my breath.

Losing Zajac would be a killer. All these early departures SUCK....The days of a veteran team are over. One maybe two years and done. Who's next? Toews? Oshie? Hell, I guess they all might as well leave.

Losing Zajac would be a killer. All these early departures SUCK....The days of a veteran team are over. One maybe two years and done. Who's next? Toews? Oshie? Hell, I guess they all might as well leave.

That's the liquor talking now. The glass is still full at the moment.

Do you have a source for this?

Sounds like the Sioux could get hit very hard with defections this off-season. Not fun. I'm not sure why Parise would go, especially after he said that he would for sure be back for his senior season. Money can always change plans though.

Smaby, Stafford, Parise, Spirko, Zajac, Toews, and Oshie. All possibilites to go this off-season. :lol:

...especially after he said that he would for sure be back for his senior season.

I love to hear players say this as much as the next person but it really can't be something a fan can count on. Even an undrafted player like Parise has potentially much to gain by playing "hard to get".

The source is The Source of course.

Of course.

The Source is a force of knowledge of course.

The difference between force and 'broad comedy' is a tail on a vowel. ;)

The Source is a horse of reasoned discourse.

Horse sense? :lol::)

This said, here is saying that Smaby and JPar is all we lose.

I'd have Stafford as "gone" before Parise, but that's my horse of a difference color.

WCHA is a great learning ground for youngsters. The pros know this.

And look all the good it did for us with Greene, Bochenski, Zach Parise, Bayda, .... ;)

losing players early is just reality...does it suck, yes, but oh well, the sioux re-load not re-build..best of luck to all that do depart grand forks early. great players do NOT stick around 4 years and 3 years is just simply nice to see in some cases depending on the players. if the cash is there in front of you i would do the same thing and go pro if i was ready..............

i have said since we brought this topic up that jpar is gone in MY EYES, stafford as well with smaby and zajac is a toss up....

off-topic...

look for prpich to get signed either soon or after the season

losing players early is just reality...does it suck, yes, but oh well, the sioux re-load not re-build..best of luck to all that do depart grand forks early. great players do NOT stick around 4 years and 3 years is just simply nice to see in some cases depending on the players.

4 year star players are going to become a VERY rare commodity before too long.

If they are good enough to play right of high school (rarely happens anymore), they are probably good enough to be drafted fairly high (ala Kessel, Oshie, and Teows in the upcoming draft). Otherwise these players come out of the juniors, and by the time they have played 2 years of college hockey, they are 24 years old, and really can't afford to give 2 more years to a college career, when they can be making some real money.

4th (and some 3rd) year players in the future, will only be role players who have only a modest chance of playing professional hockey.

Anyone know which game next fall they are scheduled to unveil our "2006 Respect" banner at the Ralph? Trying to schedule for that.

Thanks.

If you guys weren't so haughty about the WCHA playoffs you could throw that thing up in the rafters.

Anyone know which game next fall they are scheduled to unveil our "2006 Respect" banner at the Ralph? Trying to schedule for that.

Thanks.

You really are a putz,why even post here. Your alt ego on Gpl (ATL gopher fan) needs your posts over there not here. Now don't go away mad just go away!!!!!! :lol:

Forgive me, NDH, but I'll believe they are gone when there is something official about it. "The Source" is nice to have, but I like official statements better.

I would bet any money that the source is nothing more than a crap house lawyer if you know what I mean.

Like Redwing said when they announce it in the paper its official.

If you guys weren't so haughty about the WCHA playoffs you could throw that thing up in the rafters.

Nah, only NCAA championships and McNaughten cups, your thinking of SCSU where they put NCAA participant banners up.

I love the way MN litters the Mariucky rafters with runner up banners to obscure the plywood suites that Woog put up a couple of years ago.

On Oshie........................Asked his dad at the Regional if he was coming back.

"TJ will be here 3 years." *Coach Oshie

I hope it holds true!

I love the way MN litters the Mariucky rafters with runner up banners to obscure the plywood suites that Woog put up a couple of years ago.

On Oshie........................Asked his dad at the Regional if he was coming back.

"TJ will be here 3 years." *Coach Oshie

I hope it holds true!

I heard the same thing from the same "source"! However, it is tough to stick to statements like that when the $$$$'s start waving in your face! I would bet heavy on the fact that he is here next season. Him being here his junior year will depend on his success next season. If he puts up big numbers it will be tough to keep him around for his junior year.....

Forgive me, NDH, but I'll believe they are gone when there is something official about it. "The Source" is nice to have, but I like official statements better.

Truth be told, my source, of course, gets most of his "information" from the bottom of a bottle of vodka.

This said, he is right far more often than not, especially since he stopped swilling the Grey Goose and went back to the quality stuff . . . Smirnoff's.

so... do you have a source? cuz Parise said hes staying.