SiouxSports.com Forum

Next weekend: Minnesota vs. Minnesota St.

jimdahl

Mankato's better-than-expected (by me) showing against Denver has given this matchup new importance. The Sioux are off, so I've gotta have something to do...

Mankato now has a 4 point lead, dropping Minnesota to 4th in the WCHA. However, Mankato has played 4 more conference games, adding to the importance of this matchup. Mankato needs at least a split to stay in the run for the top, whereas a sweep by Mankato could really set the Gophers back.

As the Sioux know well, sweeps are hard to come by at Mariucci, though the Gophers aren't really demonstrating much of a home-ice advantage this year (3-3-1 at home in conference play says http://siouxsports.com/hockey/2002/standings.htm).

Mankato's not been great on the road (2-3-3 in conference play), but in its most recent road trips earned 3 points from each Denver and Wisconsin.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys sure spend a lot of time talking about the Gophers on this board :D .

Mankato has had an impressive run of late, no doubt. I saw some of the Saturday game and thought they got outplayed by Denver much of the night. They were very opportunistic and somehow only gave up two goals. I am hoping the return of Potulny will spark this team, as I believe if they come to play they can beat any team out there on a given night. If the Gophers are flat, I would expect a loss against Mankato. They are a hard-working team with a scary first line. Should be a fun series. I think this is the most I've ever looked forward to watching a series against Mankato. To me, it's an indication of how this program is climbing the WCHA ladder.

You guys sure spend a lot of time talking about the Gophers on this board ;) .

Excuse me, but we were talking about how good Mankato is. :D

Mankato will have matchup problems, I think, vs MN. But they've been getting much better goaltending, and they have some bona fide snipers. ... They are climbing the ladder. After the series in GF, Blais said they look to be just 1-2 players away from really contending; I agree.

I predict split.

After the series in GF, Blais said they look to be just 1-2 players away from really contending; I agree.  

And they'll get one of those next year with David Backes. With Joseph and Stevenson returning next year, Mankato should be a definite title contender in the league race.

From our previous series with Mankato the Gophers will have Tallackson, Waibel, and Potulny in the lineup. Koalska will be out for this series. Potulny will provide a huge emotional lift for this team. His work ethic and leader by example style has been missed and I anticipate (regardless of his production) his presence will elevate the Gopher's over all perfomance.

MSU-M has been the feel good story in the league so far. Who can honestly say they thought the Mavs would be postioning themselves for a home ice series this late in league play? Jutting has done an impessive job with this group and I hope the bubble bursts this weekend, but I would be surprised if either team sweeps. The Gophers may have an advantage in depth which should help on Saturday afternoon, but this could be offset by a less than boisterious than the normally less than boisterious crowd at Maruicci.

Other than Potulny, the key player for MN will be Gino Guyer. He will be asked to fill Koalska's roles the next several weekends and stong play from him crucial for the Gophers to get 4 points.

Having heard (streaming audio) the Kato PP light the Sioux up at the REA (7/14 I believe) had to wonder where our PK was headed.

But watching that PP against Denver on FXRM Saturday night, one can see why their first PP unit is so successful. Awesome puck movement, the best I've seen for years (yes, better than the Goph PP last year). Denver does have defensive problems, predictable with the dmen they lost to graduation last year. Although good goaltending helps, it is only as good as the D in front of it. Denver would be an awesome team, up with the Sioux and CC in the WCHA, if they had the Sioux defense.

The Sioux have been fairly lucky to get refereeing the last two series that tended to let the teams play. If Adams or anyone else that likes to dole out 6-10 PP's for each team shows up in Kato, will be a lot tougher series when the Sioux go there.

Same goes for the MN series this weekend. Don't know who is scheduled there but the Gophs better hope for a "very few penalties" weekend, if they have any hope of sweeping (or not being swept).

lots of posts on the UND board about the Gophers.... :0

This weekend IS a critical series for the Defending Champs, we need to get some points ahead of JBSU before they swwon at the end of their season again. While we had a few problems at Kato, I think the Gophers are a much more solid team now than they were those weeks ago. Weber has been solid in nets and has much more confidence than he did back then. Add to the mix Potulny and I think the Gophs should have no problem pulling at least 3 points out of this weekend. Guyer has been playing well and IMO will fill Koalska's spot nicely.

That being said, you never know what type of ref will show up at the game, Kato played us last time very clutch/grab/hold, if called well this weekend, we should easily outskate them and bang plenty of pucks into the nets!

WPoS

I think Mankato is really the surprise of the league IMO. Most people figured they would be in the basement. I think they'll play pretty tough this weekend, but I'm not sure they really have the horses to stay where they are until March. I'd expect Minnesota to take at least points this weekend.

It'll also be nice to see Potulny back in action. :0

I think (s)he was speaking figuratively. The moderators have never had to ban an avatar.

Give WPoS time, he'll find a way. :0

How does MSU-M operate their PP? I don't recall from our first series with them. Sideboards? Points? Low? Given what I've read I'm really glad we'll have Waibel back.

I think (s)he was speaking figuratively. The moderators have never had to ban an avatar.

That would be a HE, and yes I was.

The "NO GOPHERS" that Sprig illustrated is sort of like saying the Gopher was banned.

Didn't mean to imply it was banned from the board. Sorry.

(Geez, did that make sense?)

Actually I think MSU-Mankato is a little high in the ratings and will take a dive during the second half of the season. They just don't have the team to stay where they are. I am going to go out on a limb and say the Gophers take 4 points this weekend.

However, I have no problem with the Mavericks sweeping the dirty Gophers this weekend... The Gophers are just too good to not sweep this weekend. :0