SiouxSports.com Forum

Next weekend: Minnesota vs. Minnesota St.

jimdahl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of deal is this? In return for U2Bad1 being kicked off the POI board, we get Gopher fans coming here to whine about officiating in games that don't even involve the Sioux. I think we need to re-examine that trade. :0

i say the mavs got LUCKY this weekend!! yeah, anderson made bad calls both ways, and not just against the gophers, but if it wasnt for the PP, i bet minnesota would have swept!

Yeah, if it wasn't for the MN PP in OT on Sat maybe Mankato wins that game.

IF IF iF

After watching both of these games this weekend, I'd have to say that the Gophers are probably the most disappointing team so far this year. Not to say they can't turn it around but they haven't shown they can consistently beat the upper level teams. They have split with UND at home, taken 1 out of 4 points against CC at home, split with SCSU, etc.

Unless the infusion of Potulny has a major effect on this team they are simply a dangerous team with a lot of talent that hasn't show they can consistently win against top competition. Based upon the season so far I'd have to say the Gophers are lucky they don't have to go to Grand Forks this year.

i'm not saying that all the penalties should not have been called, because lets face it...they should have.....but i'm merely commenting that if they Gophers had not have taken those penalties, they could have won! and not tied the lowly mavericks, who are not so lowly anymore to the Gophers!

First of all, I can't even believe I'm responding.

Second of all, these are the most obvious comments a person could make. Of course a team has a better chance of winning if they don't take penalties....that's why they call it a disadvantage! Both teams took a lot of penalties. The only difference is Minnesota was 1-13 on the powerplay, and Mankato was 4-9 on the powerplay. In fact, the Mavericks have killed 38 of 40 penalties in their last 9 games.

Once you get to the NCAA's, goaltending and special teams can be the deciding factors when you put some of the nation's best teams up against each other. Minnesota is the more talented of the two teams, but when it came down to special teams and goaltending, they couldn't pull out a win. Deal with it.

I think we are giving MSU-M too much credit here. MSU-Mankato has played 20 games oppossed to UND and UofM who have played 16 games, I don't think we are going to see the Mavs in second or third place by the end of the season. To win after the WCHA season is over MSU-M is going to have to score even strenght...

Everyone take a deep breath.

I don't think anyone is saying the Mavs are going to make a run at the MacN. --But went to both games this weekend and Mankato is a Home Ice team unless someone really steps up and takes it from them--and that someone has to be Duluth or Denver. I don't see it happening.

Their passing is probably the best I've seen this season...stick to stick, right on the tape. The only passes they seemed to miss regularly were ones to the back door on the pp. But with the other parts of their pp working so well, that isn't a big problem.

Goon is right...a weakness seems to be their scoring at even strength. That would be all but solved if they decided to forecheck like the Sioux and a Defenseman who hits like Hale/Greene.

Another problem is that they went into a shell anytime they had a one-goal lead...and the Gophers took it to them.