SiouxSports.com Forum

Next weekend: Minnesota vs. Minnesota St.

jimdahl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think MSU-Mankato is a little high in the ratings and will take a dive during the second half of the season. They just don't have the team to stay where they are. I am going to go out on a limb and say the Gophers take 4 points this weekend.

However, I have no problem with the Mavericks sweeping the dirty Gophers this weekend... The Gophers are just too good to not sweep this weekend. :0

Another way to look at this ... is against common opponents, the other 2 first-division WCHA teams, CC and SCSU.

Vs CC (playing at home): Mankato took 2 points, MN-TC took 1. Edge Mavs.

Vs. SCSU (playing home and home): Mankato took 3/8 points, MN took 1/4 points. Edge Mavs.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem if the mavs swept either.

The Sioux better bring their A game to mankato in February ...

(I posted this in the equivalent thread on USCHO.)

With the Sioux off this weekend I have to watch something. It'll be this series.

My thoughts:

As much as Goldie likes getting Potulny back, I think they are really going to miss Koalska this weekend. The problems at hand are Stevenson, Joseph, and the Mav power play. Potulny isn't the solution to any of those where I believe Koalska would be.

However, if the Mavs start taking penalties they make create a problem for themselves called Potulny.

Mankato just took three points at DU. Don't think Goldie's fuzzy little ears didn't perk up when he heard that. Mankato isn't sneaking up on them.

Mankato is 9-4-5 on the wide ice and 2-5-3 on the road. Minnesota is 7-4-2 at home and 10-6-4 on the wide stuff. I bring that up because power plays seem to be better on the wide stuff and Mankato has a decent power play. Power plays are probably going to decide this one.

I don't see either sweeping; I'm expecting a war of a split.

As much as Goldie likes getting Potulny back, I think they are really going to miss Koalska this weekend. The problems at hand are Stevenson, Joseph, and the Mav power play. Potulny isn't the solution to any of those where I believe Koalska would be.

However, if the Mavs start taking penalties they make create a problem for themselves called Potulny.

Mankato just took three points at DU. Don't think Goldie's fuzzy little ears didn't perk up when he heard that. Mankato isn't sneaking up on them.

Mankato is 9-4-5 on the wide ice and 2-5-3 on the road. Minnesota is 7-4-2 at home and 10-6-4 on the wide stuff. I bring that up because power plays seem to be better on the wide stuff and Mankato has a decent power play. Power plays are probably going to decide this one.

I don't see either sweeping; I'm expecting a war of a split.

I agree about Koalska. I stated earlier, I think the key MN player for the series is Gino Guyer as he will be asked to step into Matt's skates. While the MSU-M PP has been very good, so has the MN kill (currently 2nd in WCHA, but a quite far behind the leader CC). Also, while Koalska does kill penalties he is just one of many who does. Waibel, Riddle, Flemming, Anthony, & MacKinnon are all very good on the penalty kill. The other area where we will really miss Koalska is face-offs, he is easily the best one on the Gophers.

I anticipate Potulny's play to be rusty, but his leadership is crucial for this team.

My fuzzy little ears have perked up. :0

Well, it was the Mavs power play that got them the tie tonight. It was pretty clear that the Gophers controlled most of the play, but they had a huge edge in power play time against the WCHA's 10th ranked penalty kill and couldn't make it pay off. The Mavs got very few power play chances, but got two PP goals.

I've been trying to get on USCHO all night to see what all the Gophers fans who said there was no way the Mavs could take even a point out of this weekend have to say, but for some reason my ISP isn't letting me get to a lot of sites. If you folks are able to get there, give them some disrespect for me, will ya?

UGLY game

The Mavs pretty much sucked the whole night and the only time(s) they could garner much beyound a 2 on 2 was when the piece of crap Anderson had his head so far up his...he could see day light. It seems the Mavs play has not changed much since the begining of the year. They can't skate with a good team so they end up clutching/grabbing/generally doing anything they can to keep the play slow. The missed calls and the bad crap that Anderson let go last night will only lead to his dismisal as a ref. The poor sportsmanship of the Mavs will make them the second UW team in the WCHA, the second good squad if you will. The double 5 on 3 power play was just plain bad. Any small infraction got a penalty. Anderson was just not in control of the game. THe Gophs ended up on the short end and paid for it. But hussled back to tie it and Volp should be counting his lucky stars that the 3-4 pipe shots and the puck that slid across the pipes didn't go in. Should have been 6-1 last night, but it is hard to play hockey when you can't check. Case in point, the gophs get a penalty for contact with the goaltender, after the Gopher is checked into Volp, and then while on top is getting his back beaten with a stick...yeah, real good officiating.

All I ever want out of the officials is constisancy, but consistantly making bad calls is not the end of the spectrum I want to see. :0

WPoS

P.S. let the flaming of my opinions begin.

P.S.S. so what you boys doing up there during your week off? Practicing for the POI game!?!?!? ;)

Yeah.. to blame last night on the refs is stupid. It's obvious Minnesota lost control of themselves in the second period. If you want to blame the refs, fine, but it does nothing to solve the lack of discipline problem. Doug "homer" Woog even said that it wasnt the refs who put them in that position it was themselves who put them in that position. Minnesota was just as chippy as mankato, ESPECIALLY today. Before people flame me im not saying UND is full of angels either.

Was almost rooting for MSU to win it, until I realized a tie would be better for the Sioux.

I guess the Goofs don't have what it takes to bury anybody. They outplayed MSU both games but couldn't put them away. I liked the way MSU kept battling back. The 3rd. period & OT was pretty entertaining.

The Goofs sure can't complain about the refs today. Anderson gave them a PP in OT.

I wonder what their excuses will be today.

Was almost rooting for MSU to win it, until I realized a tie would be better for the Sioux.

Hmmm... can't say I agree with this. Though Mankato is creeping up on us, they'll have played 4 more games than us after this weekend and have to play UND/at CC in 2 of their remaining 4 series. If Mankato turns out to be a threat in the final standings, it's cause we messed up (e.g. getting swept in Mankato).

On to the topic at hand...

Though it always sounds like whining to complain about the calls after a game, I've been to many a game where key calls definitely tilted the momentum if not directly resulted in a power play goal (one could argue the refs handed Minnesota the championship last year on the back of an inconsistent call).

Both games were chippy, which was something I expected (but did not happen) when the Sioux came to town. I liked the intensity, but there were definitely some dumb penalties (Mr. Demarchi) I thought the penalties in the 2nd on Friday night were due to a Gopher meltdown, not bad officiating.

Mankato is tenacious, but I didn't think they looked all that good this weekend. Goph's had much better scoring chances and generally controlled the play. Mankato just refuses to go down. I like that.

Again, I'm reminded of why I hate the big ice. The games appear to run at half speed, too much room to break out allows for more movement side to side and not towards the net. Blah. By the third period, you see lots of smacking the puck around in the neutral zone cause the guys are so tired. Olympic sheets ruin college hockey.

Besides that, they were fun games to watch. Wish there was more college hockey on TV.

taz

I wasn't going to say this on POI but since the discussion came over here I will. It wasn't long ago some Gopher fans were giving Sioux fans crap about complaining about officiating.

I guess no one is really any better than anyone else, after all.

I knew I would get it for making fun of the refs. Like I have said MANY times on POI, all I ask is a good CONSISTANT ref. Anderson is not. He made BAD calls both ways. The gophs just could not finish this weekend. AN open net at the end of todays game would have been nice, but that last nail in the coffin seems to be missing this year...

WPoS

Seems like it wasn't that long ago when Minnesota fans on USCHO were ripping on me for pointing out that the officials blew a call in the St. Cloud series (Parise checking the goalie when he was outside the protected area). But then, the Sioux swept that "cupcake team" that took three of four points from the Gophers, so I probably have no right to complain. :0;)

Hmmm... can't say I agree with this. Though Mankato is creeping up on us, they'll have played 4 more games than us after this weekend and have to play UND/at CC in 2 of their remaining 4 series. If Mankato turns out to be a threat in the final standings, it's cause we messed up (e.g. getting swept in Mankato).

And if it wasn't for Jordan Leopold last year, UND would have swept. If it wasn't for Krys Kolanos UND would have back to back national championships, I bet. If it wasn't for Grant Potulny last year, Maine would be the champs. If it wasn't for this, then that would have happened. But those are the breaks.

mavs scored their goals on the PP....friday they were both scored on 5x3. they got lucky because the gophs took the penalties, and anderson called them...although saturday, when vanek was doing his wrap-around goal.....i saw him get slashed pretty good..but it wasnt called....the bounces this weekend went to MSU....not the Gophers. and i think Anderson needs to be fired or given to Hockey East or something!!! and not just because of this weekend, but also because he couldnt officiate even if his life depended on it. :0

mavs scored their goals on the PP....friday they were both scored on 5x3.  they got lucky because the gophs took the penalties, and anderson called them...although saturday, when vanek was doing his wrap-around goal.....i saw him get slashed pretty good..but it wasnt called....the bounces this weekend went to MSU....not the Gophers.  and i think Anderson needs to be fired or given to Hockey East or something!!! and not just because of this weekend, but also because he couldnt officiate even if his life depended on it.   :0