SiouxSports.com Forum

Our guys need to get in front of the net & shoot

Fetch

http://www.nbcolympics.com/icehockey/index.html#

See U.S. Highlights video in #2 passing grade...sweet

I hope this link works cause look at our guys in front of the net - This has been missing all year for the Sioux - plus the shots at the right time (any shot is better than no shot) But there is someone ready in front of the net for a pass or rebound

http://www.nbcolympics.com/icehockey/index.html#

See Highlights video in #2 passing grade...sweet

I hope this link works cause look at our guys in front of the net - This has been missing all year for the Sioux - plus the shots at the right time (any shot is better than no shot) But there is someone ready in front of the net for a pass or rebound

They all count.....good....bad....or ugly!! I would like to see Porter step it up a bit. He would be a good candidate to get a few crash the net type goals. He drives the net fairly well but just does not quite have the skill level to finish very often. Of course Fabian is another guy who can score some garbage goals. All hands must be on deck....its do or die!

They need to score dirty goals and crash the net. Get physical and pound the UMD Bulldogs.

Tis true We need to storm the net and look for rebounds we are always looking for the pretty goals with way to many passes in the offensive zone, geeze shoot the puck and get some traffic in front :D

I'll use this opportunity for one of my favorite rants:

In deep, in the slot, if the puck ends up on your stick in a scrum just fire ... even if you're on the backhand! :D

The time it takes you to spin and get on forehand is time for the defense to find you and for the goalie to recover (from the save that cause the rebound that gave you the puck on your backhand) and stack.

A goal by a member of Team USA, Womens Team USA, back on Saturday went in because she just fired from the backhand as soon as she got it, no spin, no handling, just fire.

Backhanders count as goals.

I was watching the Red Wings vs. Avalanche game last weekend, and after one of Detroits goals, the announcer had a startling revelation. He said, "if you want to score goals in the NHL, or any level of hockey, get yourself in front of the net", or something very similar to that. It is brilliant in it's simplicity.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of our team. We take shots from the face-off circles, the blue-line and we always want to fire the puck into the goaltender's chest. Then people wonder why every team we play has a "hot goaltender". I am so sick and tired of hearing about how every goaltender we play is great, while our own goaltenders don't get the recognition that they deserve for being consistently good every night. The new hockey writer for the Heraldo always names the opposing goaltender as the "Key Player" of the game when we lose. A couple of weeks ago, Colorado College goaltender Matt Zaba was the "Key Player" of the game in our 3-2 loss, even though we were outshot by a considerable margin! How often do our goaltenders get that type of positive press? Not often enough! And this is our own media doing this, not sportswriters in Minneapolis or Madison. Are there hot goaltenders? Yes. Can you use that line every single time you lose? No.

The solution to the above problem is the topic of this thread: Get guys in front of the net, create screens, create chaos and get some deflection and rebound goals. Goalies at this level will stop most long-range shots if they can see them. This is one problem with having skill on your team, players get too fancy. I think that is part of the problem on the Power Play as well.

I have a slightly alterred opinion of this.

First, there are players who DO crash the net and do so often. The problem is: they are clustered on two lines. Zajac and Oshie on one line, Toews on the other.

Secondly, we DO try to crash the net, however, when we do, it's usually without the puck. We need to find ways to GET the puck in front of the net. Getting players in front of the net hasn't been a problem this year. The puck just hasn't made it there very often.

Of the three mentioned above, the best player we have that crashes the net with the puck is Jonathan Toews. With the talent our upper classmen have, why is a freshmen the best at doing this? And even more, why is the YOUNGEST freshman on the team the best at it?

Players that I can see crashing the net with the puck better are:

Chris Porter - He has hoverred around the net quite a bit but he hasn't been able to get the shot off what few times the puck has gotten to him.

Travis Zajac - He's really good and this shouldn't be misconstrued as stating that he's not doing a good job, but he needs to shoot more and pass less!

Rylan Kaip - Ok, the dude is a checking forward, but he's gritty and tough. I think he could get goals if they have him always crashing the net instead of shooting off the wing.

Eric Fabian/Mike Prpich - Both do their best. I'm not sure how they can improve as they just aren't goal scorers in the true sense of the word. But they could use their gritty play and size (especially Fabian) to get into a position to score off the rebound.

What about #18 ? When he was a freshman I remember him going to the net hard with the puck. He would just lower his shoulder and drive right to the net. I remember thinking to myslef, this guy's an animal. Hey Drew, take the biscuit to the basket man, you've got the size and the hands, just let 'er rip.

I agree with all

It is time to just play to win - If the practicing & skill levels of individuals are not going to just kick in as a team, so the talent of this team can come together & dominate. Then just play Hockey & Put the Puck in the Net !!! I sometimes think these guys think to much & try to set it up &/or pass to the guy (someone) thinks should shoot ? ? ? It is no longer about who can skate & handle the puck or who should score goals :D

I wonder about lines too - I wonder how much they have tried to mix it up & play different combinations together - too late now ...(maybe) & NO MORE STUPID PENALTIES ;)

It's not about potential or age or year in school anymore or weather your going to the NHL or how good you may be next yr 2 yrs or ever :D

Damn it !!! I want to be in the Regionals & make another run to the NCAA - JUST DO IT !!! ;) ........... ;)

What about #18 ? When he was a freshman I remember him going to the net hard with the puck. He would just lower his shoulder and drive right to the net. I remember thinking to myslef, this guy's an animal. Hey Drew, take the biscuit to the basket man, you've got the size and the hands, just let 'er rip.

Stafford had two nice goals tonight. I am very happey about his play tonight. I just hope he can keep it going tomorrow night.

Oshie Goal was Fabulous - The patience & then accuracy - He earns everyone he gets - so does Stafford - but that one shows you should shoot when open :D

No offense to Stafford last night, but how did he earn his first goal? That goal was great for Stafford and the fact it was a goal doesn't diminish Stafford as a player or a goal scorer, but that was simply the most horrific garbage goal I've seen since Siembida wore a Sioux jersey!

That should not have gone in! It would NOT have gone in against 99% of the goaltenders in DI! Can't call that an "earned" goal when the goaltender basically gave the point to Stafford.

That should not have gone in!

And Drew was the first one to admit that after the game. But as the saying goes, put the puck on net, and good things happen.

I still don't think the Sioux do that enough. Minnesota's first goal against DU last night was a great example of what the Gophers do so well. The defenseman fired a shot from the blue line that Fisher saw all the way. But Ben Gordon got his stick on the puck and deflected it in for the goal.

Maybe as a result of Stafford's goal the team will realize that they need to shoot the puck more and throw it toward the net more when they have the opportunity.

And Drew was the first one to admit that after the game. But as the saying goes, put the puck on net, and good things happen.

I still don't think the Sioux do that enough. Minnesota's first goal against DU last night was a great example of what the Gophers do so well. The defenseman fired a shot from the blue line that Fisher saw all the way. But Ben Gordon got his stick on the puck and deflected it in for the goal.

Maybe as a result of Stafford's goal the team will realize that they need to shoot the puck more and throw it toward the net more when they have the opportunity.

Agreed. Brandon Bochenski was the master at this. He never saw a shot that he didn't like, even from behind the net. And the results spoke for themselves....

I'll agree to that.

A lot of good observations, and I agree that the Sioux need to worry a little less about how artistic their goals are. But it may also true that there are some factors that help explain why they haven't crashed the net this year like we would have liked. We all know Hak is a defense-minded coach, partly because he was a defenseman himself and partly because good defense has been so important in NCAA tournament success. Coming into this year, the team's primary concern was how well our Defense would do. They have done very well, IMO, but part of that has been the play of our forwards. Crashing the net brings with it the increased chance of an odd-man rush the other way. Even putting the puck on net from a bad angle can do that. High school forwards like to pass the puck to the front of the net simply from reflex, even when they don't know if a linemate is there to take it. That doesn't happen much in D1 because it usually leads to a defenseman simply gathering in the pass and starting the transition from in front of the net rather than behind it and often one pass away from an odd-man rush. When you are concentrating on D, you tend to want to control the puck more--or at least control where the puck is. I think it's possible that the desire for puck control for defensive purposes has made the Sioux forwards less apt to just let it fly. But we know now that our D can play and that our goaltending will be there. It's time to let the rubber fly and get some bodies in the garbage zone. Score some goals. Win some games. Play in the regional. Add a banner.