SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

The US team seemed way to concerned about Canada this whole tournament. I think they bought into the whole, there is USA-Canada, then Finland-Sweden and the everyone else.

I was at the USA-Sweden semifinal in Salt Lake and though Kim Martin was incredible then, and she was only 15. I really hoped that somehow she would end up at UND and make put Sioux women's hockey on the map. Instead she beats the US in 2006 and is now headed for UMD. They will be scary with her in net.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My American self is disappointed but my Bulldog self feels rather proud. Rooth (whom has her number retired here) with 2 goals and the winner and Martin the future Dog with a stellar performance. Not to mention the captain Holst. Hopefully they give Canada a run but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hockeymom,

The new Nike jerseys are their "Swift Jersey" line and are a tighter-fit, supposedly resulting in faster skating by the player wearing them. I recall an NHL pre-season game where a player was asked his opinion on them and said that he hated them, not to mention the fact that it took four training room staff persons to put it on over his pads. Reebok is supposed to debut the swift line in the NHL next season, but that is being met with stiff resistance by the players.

As for the Olympic jerseys, they are "template-tastic". As you can see, it's a matter of switching jersey styles and sewing on appropriate patches. Terrible, in my opinion, because individuality has gone by the wayside.

Along similar lines, SI ran a cover story at the start of the college basketball season entitled "Here Comes Michigan State" or Duke, Arizona, or one of several other regional choices. The practice uniforms were all done by Nike and were exactly the same, save for the school name. Long live the swoosh.

No gold/silver for the US - Sweden wins 2-0 in shootout. UGHHHHHH! ;)

who cares, sorry no disresepct to those fans but its like watching youth hockey, pathetic moves and the puck just goes end to end while the players skate for the puck without any control...boringgggggggggggggg

oh yeah, i dont consider it hockey when you put a normal check on a player and get 2 minutes in the sin bin...

is it 7:35 yet :D

who cares, sorry no disresepct to those fans but its like watching youth hockey, pathetic moves and the puck just goes end to end while the players skate for the puck without any control...boringgggggggggggggg

oh yeah, i dont consider it hockey when you put a normal check on a player and get 2 minuets in the sin bin...

is it 7:35 yet :D

*checks you into the boards*

:D

I still like it.....mostly because there is more opportunity for girls to go to the Olympics and play college hockey than there used to be.

;)

Hockeymom,

The new Nike jerseys are their "Swift Jersey" line and are a tighter-fit, supposedly resulting in faster skating by the player wearing them. I recall an NHL pre-season game where a player was asked his opinion on them and said that he hated them, not to mention the fact that it took four training room staff persons to put it on over his pads. Reebok is supposed to debut the swift line in the NHL next season, but that is being met with stiff resistance by the players.

As for the Olympic jerseys, they are "template-tastic". As you can see, it's a matter of switching jersey styles and sewing on appropriate patches. Terrible, in my opinion, because individuality has gone by the wayside.

Along similar lines, SI ran a cover story at the start of the college basketball season entitled "Here Comes Michigan State" or Duke, Arizona, or one of several other regional choices. The practice uniforms were all done by Nike and were exactly the same, save for the school name. Long live the swoosh.

I don't like the tight fit. The players are robots wearing different colors. They look like they are actually restricting movement, rather than helping them skate faster. Besides, if they skate faster with the new unies, and everyone is wearing them, doesn't that cancel everything out?

I still don't like that the US doesn't have their own unique uniforms. Nike is headquartered out of Beaverton, I don't think that it's too much to ask for them to design different uniforms for us than all other countries in the world.

Or maybe it is.

SPOILER ALERT!

Possibly anyways.

The Swiss just shut out the Canadians 2-0 behind Martin "Baby Food" Gerber's spectacular play.

So the Swiss are a force to be reckoned with for now. David "SIEVE" Aebischer has been on a streak lately (it will crash because he sucks).

Here's the lineup:

Slovakia is tearing things up. They should beat an overrated USA team today.

Finland hasn't lost yet... Oh yeah. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GIVEN UP A SINGLE GOAL YET.

Swiss could be the surprise team of the Olympics.

Updated Goal prediction:

GOLD: Slovakia

SILVER: Canada

BRONZE: Finland

Swiss make a great run, then make the mistake of putting Aebischer in and they lose to fall out of the medal round.

Team USA faces Slovakia today and Sweden tommorrow. I hope it's close but I'm predicting an 0-2 record. Dubay thinks the Latvia tie isn't something to worry about. God that's good dope Dubay is smoking. That tie is going to make us 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-0 like they will more than likely be after tommorrow's action.

What do I know? They could beat Sweden! I DOUBT DOUBT DOUBT DOUBT they'll beat Slovakia.

SPOILER ALERT!

Possibly anyways.

The Swiss just shut out the Canadians 2-0 behind Martin "Baby Food" Gerber's spectacular play.

So the Swiss are a force to be reckoned with for now. David "SIEVE" Aebischer has been on a streak lately (it will crash because he sucks).

Here's the lineup:

Slovakia is tearing things up. They should beat an overrated USA team today.

Finland hasn't lost yet... Oh yeah. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GIVEN UP A SINGLE GOAL YET.

Swiss could be the surprise team of the Olympics.

Updated Goal prediction:

GOLD: Slovakia

SILVER: Canada

BRONZE: Finland

Swiss make a great run, then make the mistake of putting Aebischer in and they lose to fall out of the medal round.

Team USA faces Slovakia today and Sweden tommorrow. I hope it's close but I'm predicting an 0-2 record. Dubay thinks the Latvia tie isn't something to worry about. God that's good dope Dubay is smoking. That tie is going to make us 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-0 like they will more than likely be after tommorrow's action.

What do I know? They could beat Sweden! I DOUBT DOUBT DOUBT DOUBT they'll beat Slovakia.

Well, they didn't beat Slovakia, but IMO, they did outplay them. It was a fun game to watch, but the US can't seem to find the back of the net. Let's hope for the best against Sweden.

I actually think this is a very clever ploy used by USA coaches. They most likely believe Switzerland is the best matchup, and what with Switzerland on track to win the other pool, finishing 4th is the perfect placement.

The problem is that Latvia should beat Kazakstan. That means we need another tie or win to end up in 4th. I don't think we can get it.

We shouldn't worry about the tie. :huh:

Really, the US isn't an international team. It was set up all wrong. All the players that should be featured aren't and those that are shouldn't even be on the team.

It's more a pat on the back type of arrangement. Chelios? I like him and all, but really, he's not the kind of defenseman the US needs.

Players like, to be honest, Jason Blake, Matt Cullen, and that ilk are what the US needs. Guys who excel on the big sheet/play an open style of game.

Our goaltending is a joke. Our defense is marginal at best, and our forwards can't keep up enough pressure to threaten anyone.

We have a better chance at beating Sweden than we did beating Slovakia. Will we beat them? I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. However, if we DO lose, then there's a very good chance that we WON'T advance to the next round and then Team USA can take their time heading back and get ready to resume the NHL season. No, thanks to NBC's homer's, Team USA will not be losers, nor will they be chokers. They will have "faced adversity and found it to be too insurmountable." :)

Not to worry, the biggest choker on Team USA will thankfully not be the men's hockey. It will be Bode Miller.

And the US holds on for a 4-0 win and the Bronze Medal. I'm glad that they ended their Olympics on a high note.

The refs should have let Katie King go near the end of the game.

Let her go? What did she pee pee on the ice? :huh:

Now Finland beats Canada 2-0. Canada hasn't scored a goal in the last 6 periods of men's hockey. Don Cherry must be the one leaving yellow streaks on the ice after saying that Canada could field three teams and take all three medals. Seeing a lot of frustration from the Canadian team and doing some not-so-smart things. They are taking a lot of dumb penalties. Right now I don't think that their future in the medal round is looking so good. They should get bronze, but that may be it unless they can plug the leaks.

USA Men should make medal round unless they lose to the Russians by about 15 goals. They have the tie breaker with Latvia, unless they lose by that much. Beyond that, I wouldn't bet on them doing anything else.

Players like, to be honest, Jason Blake, Matt Cullen, and that ilk are what the US needs. Guys who excel on the big sheet/play an open style of game.

Our goaltending is a joke. Our defense is marginal at best, and our forwards can't keep up enough pressure to threaten anyone.

Going into the tournament I thought USA was extremely weak in the net. The last two games, however, have shown that creating offense and scoring goals is a much bigger concern than defense or goaltending. I have always thought that the rink size is irrelevant when there is this much talent on the ice. Talent is going to win on any size sheet of ice.

Blake and Cullen? The team needs a hell of a lot more than these two guys up front. In the large scheme of things Blake and Cullen are very average players.

On the other hand, it would difficult to imagine any team which has the scoring depth and talent as the Canucks and they have been shut out in two straight games. Who knows the answer?

The most impressive thing thus far in the tournament, to me, has been the penalty killing abilities of most teams. Even on the "big ice" the defensive players get to the puck in a nano second.