SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you'd find many who felt the '96 U.S. World Cup team wasn't a worthy champion. That team consisted of most of the most important players in U.S. hockey history.

That 1996 game #3 is still right up there in my memory of the two greatest games I have ever had the opportunity to watch. The other obviously is the 1980 USA/Soviet Union game.

Goehring would have done his patented poke check, providing he didn't dive 7 feet out of the crease to do it (as he did in the 2001 National Title game-very uncharacteristic for Karl, and a bad way to end his college career).

Thanks for making me re-live that memory, Siouxdonyms. I remember watching that move live thinking "ohmygoshwhatisKarldoing?".

Note to US Olympic hockey coaching staff: I realize most people forget Buffalo has an NHL team, but there is an American goalie by the name of Ryan Miller who is pretty good. It would be in your best interest to have one of the seive's you call goalies to get "hurt" so he can come in as a replacement. Thank you.

Note to US Olympic hockey coaching staff: I realize most people forget Buffalo has an NHL team, but there is an American goalie by the name of Ryan Miller who is pretty good. It would be in your best interest to have one of the seive's you call goalies to get "hurt" so he can come in as a replacement. Thank you.

Giggity giggity. Allll riiiiight.

That 1996 game #3 is still right up there in my memory of the two greatest games I have ever had the opportunity to watch. The other obviously is the 1980 USA/Soviet Union game.

Agreed. In my opinion, that remains the greatest big-game goaltending performance I have ever seen, particularly in the third period.

I know this game didnt matter but why was Esche even playing. He looked horrible and lost the game for them in the third period. He gave up 2 goals on 3 shots at one point in the 3rd. Also, did anyone else see Tkachuk go charging after Kovalev after the game, he was pretty pissed. Other than Esche, I thought the US played a great game and have a great chance of beating Finland if they play like this tomorrow.

Agreed. In my opinion, that remains the greatest big-game goaltending performance I have ever seen, particularly in the third period.

The whole three game set was absolutely outstanding. It's only too bad that about 1/16 of 1% of the US population knows anything about it. Meanwhile, in Canada...

I know this game didnt matter but why was Esche even playing. He looked horrible and lost the game for them in the third period. He gave up 2 goals on 3 shots at one point in the 3rd. Also, did anyone else see Tkachuk go charging after Kovalev after the game, he was pretty pissed. Other than Esche, I thought the US played a great game and have a great chance of beating Finland if they play like this tomorrow.

It is easy to blame Esche, but the first 2 goals of the game were definitely not his fault at all. Drury coughed one up for the breakaway, that didn't help matters.

Thanks for making me re-live that memory, Siouxdonyms. I remember watching that move live thinking "ohmygoshwhatisKarldoing?".

I said the same thing. I was in school the entire time Karl was there, and he always went down on his knees in the crease and made the poke check, with the exception of that time, where he dove out for the poke check. That one play still haunts my dreams, as I'm sure many other Sioux fans.

Probably because DiPietro had played so much prior to this. Didn't he play in the last 3 games? That's a lot for a goalie to play in this tournament. If the game doesn't matter, why not rest your starting goaltender, so he can be more fresh for when the games do count?

Excuse me? US could beat Finland? Wha?

They SHUT OUT Canada. They have given up less than 5 goals IN THE ENTIRE OLYMPICS.

Sorry, Finland wins easily.

Seriously, in four years, I think it would be a real meaningful team with Ryan Miller and Rick DiPietro as the goaltenders for Team USA. After all, DiPietro has been the only decent goaltender we've had so far and Miller should have been in this one.

Looking for some info - How does the medal round play out? If Finland beats USA tomorrow, is USA out of contention for the gold medal or can they still obtain it, etc?

I guess I'm asking how the medal round is formatted.

I have no serious answer.

All I can say is: Team USA is already out of Gold medal contention.

I never said Finland wasnt good because they are a great team but I think the US has a legit chance if they play like they did today and Dipietro plays how he has been playing. How many games can Nittymaki stand on his head for the Fins? Even though the Fins shut out Canada, I would much rather play the Fins over the Canadiens.

Looking for some info - How does the medal round play out? If Finland beats USA tomorrow, is USA out of contention for the gold medal or can they still obtain it, etc?

I guess I'm asking how the medal round is formatted.

One and done, my friend. You lose, you go home.

I never said Finland wasnt good because they are a great team but I think the US has a legit chance if they play like they did today and Dipietro plays how he has been playing. How many games can Nittymaki stand on his head for the Fins? Even though the Fins shut out Canada, I would much rather play the Fins over the Canadiens.

I think the only teams the US could beat right now are not in the medal round.

Can't beat Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, or Canada.... Ok MAYBE Switzerland (Aebischer plays we win. He's a sieve).

I have no serious answer.

All I can say is: Team USA is already out of Gold medal contention.

You're awfully negative today, redwing77. Remember Canada's opening game loss to Sweden in 2002? All the naysayers buried them after that game. Anything can happen...

You're awfully negative today, redwing77. Remember Canada's opening game loss to Sweden in 2002? All the naysayers buried them after that game. Anything can happen...

Did they then go 1-3-1 in the other games?

0-1 doesn't get you out of contention. Having 3 more losses than your win total does.