SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes left in the game. . . . . Slovakia is beating Sweden 2-0. Looks like Sweden will be taking on the Swiss after all. The horror of it all! ;)

It doesn't matter who they play, the Swedes are the biggest choke artists in international hockey. So they will get shut out by Gerber instead of Brodeur. :D

I think I can actually do so, I just don't have them with me at the moment. I actually saved several articles from U.S outlets after the 1996 World Cup because they were so ridiculous in their rhetoric.

The Gretzky rant in 2002 was obviously timed and calculated, but there is no denying a large portion of hockey observers would like to see Canada lose. Again, that just comes with the territory. I don't know what you mean by "US sports machine," but I see no problem with people rooting against Canada, nor do I see harm/arrogance in Canadians like Gretzky pointing it out.

I'm guessing the American propaganda comment was directed solely at a sensationalistic media, not the everyday U.S. hockey fan like yourself. Look no further than how this betting scandal was portrayed by the same media. Never was there any indication Gretzky himself would be implicated of any wrong doing, and Rick Tocchet himself was ACTUALLY CHARGED. Yet what are the headlines in the New York Post, the USA Today and so on? "The Great Betzky," etc, etc. Now that Gretzky has officially been all but absolved of any involvement, the media doesn't touch the story, nor do they recant their assumptions that Gretzky was involved.

I have watched every single minute of Olympic hockey this year on both networks, and I have yet to see any display of this arrogance you alude to by members of this year's team, its coaching staff or its management. That's the only point I was trying to make.

I recall some of the Canadian rhetoric regarding the 1996 World Cup as well, Canuck, and it was along the lines of how dare that mighty Team Canada lose to its pathetic neighbor to the south, the United States of America.

What was the Canadian news media saying about Gretzky? Frankly, I'm stunned the US media even cared and would agree with you on them flying off the handle and rushing to judgement. They treated Gretzky like Britney Spears or Madonna with their tabloid-esque headlines.

Perhaps I should have clarified "Canadian arrogance" and not implied that members of this specific team have spouted off to the media. My comment really was directed at Wayne Gretzky's 2002 rant. I guess I just don't buy into this anti-Canadian conspiracy theory.

Canada essentially boycotted the 1972 and 1976 Olympics because of their issues with Soviet officiating, then grumbled four years ago about anti-Canadian hostility from the rest of the world. Just because you invented the sport doesn't mean you're entitled to a gold medal every four years. Just ask USA Basketball.

I'm guessing the American propaganda comment was directed solely at a sensationalistic media, not the everyday U.S. hockey fan like yourself. Look no further than how this betting scandal was portrayed by the same media. Never was there any indication Gretzky himself would be implicated of any wrong doing, and Rick Tocchet himself was ACTUALLY CHARGED. Yet what are the headlines in the New York Post, the USA Today and so on? "The Great Betzky," etc, etc. Now that Gretzky has officially been all but absolved of any involvement, the media doesn't touch the story, nor do they recant their assumptions that Gretzky was involved.

I agree with it being "sensationalistic media." The average US citizen knows of Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, and maybe a few more. Outside of that, they're hockey morons. Once Gretzky was cleared from the scandal, it's no longer big news in the US to the general public. Upcoming details will most likely make the well-know national papers, but I highly doubt they will be front page news, where as, if Gretzky were involved, it would definitely be there.

I recall some of the Canadian rhetoric regarding the 1996 World Cup as well, Canuck, and it was along the lines of how dare that mighty Team Canada lose to its pathetic neighbor to the south, the United States of America.

We'll end up disagreeing on this one, because all I remember is a lot "Damn Mike Richter..."

I doubt you'd find many who felt the '96 U.S. World Cup team wasn't a worthy champion. That team consisted of most of the most important players in U.S. hockey history.

What was the Canadian news media saying about Gretzky?

Most of what I was able to read did still include Gretzky in the broad story, but usually in a different light. The general consensus, especially by columnists, was that this guy's reputation has been virtually impeccable throughout his 25-plus years associated with the NHL and that he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I was somewhat surprised by the degree to which Gretzky was implicated in the U.S. media, but then again, not really. It is a rather significant sports story, but to most south of the border, Who is Rick Tocchet? Gretzky gave a household name to the story which is, I'm sure, enough for most media outlets to salivate.