SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the tournament I thought USA was extremely weak in the net. The last two games, however, have shown that creating offense and scoring goals is a much bigger concern than defense or goaltending. I have always thought that the rink size is irrelevant when there is this much talent on the ice. Talent is going to win on any size sheet of ice.

Blake and Cullen? The team needs a hell of a lot more than these two guys up front. In the large scheme of things Blake and Cullen are very average players.

On the other hand, it would difficult to imagine any team which has the scoring depth and talent as the Canucks and they have been shut out in two straight games. Who knows the answer?

The most impressive thing thus far in the tournament, to me, has been the penalty killing abilities of most teams. Even on the "big ice" the defensive players get to the puck in a nano second.

Ok, I'll revise the statement about goaltending. Rick DiPietro has done a LOT better than I though he'd do. He has to because he has two jokes backing him up. (I think that's more accurate)

Are Blake and Cullen "average" players? Maybe. But they drive hard to the net, play hard every shift, and play meaningful games. Are they the players the team should build around? No, I don't think they are "franchise" players even by Team USA standards, but they put the kind of effort that is needed every shift. I'd give better examples but... well... every example I can think up is Canadian :D

Canada has now lost two.

My new Medal predictions:

GOLD: Slovakia

SILVER: Finland

BRONZE: Canada

I just can't count out the Canadians just yet. The wild cards are the Russians, Swiss and the Czechs. Both the Czechs and the Swiss will falter for different reasons centering around the same position: Goaltending. The Czechs falter because they don't trust Vokoun (What this year I call the Badgeritis... Hasek=Elliott. They go down, they can't win). The Swiss falter because Aebischer is a sieve and Gerber won't be able to right the ship in time. I guess you could say that the Swedes are wild cards too.

It could be a really good medal round if you aren't a fan of Canada or the US.

Which leaves the Russians. I don't know if the Russians can beat Canada even in their current funk.

USA Men should make medal round unless they lose to the Russians by about 15 goals. They have the tie breaker with Latvia, unless they lose by that much. Beyond that, I wouldn't bet on them doing anything else.

They don't consider the head to head meeting as a first tie-breaker?

They don't consider the head to head meeting as a first tie-breaker?

Not according to the hockey game I watched yesterday on CNBC. Following the Canada-Sweden game, they went through the US situation. The first tie-breaker is based on goal differentials, and the US leads Latvia by about 15 goals.

Not according to the hockey game I watched yesterday on CNBC. Following the Canada-Sweden game, they went through the US situation. The first tie-breaker is based on goal differentials, and the US leads Latvia by about 15 goals.

thats right

Then lucky news for the US.

Yeah but all that dude does is talk about men's hockey.

"The Sweden men's team couldn't make it for their game against the USA because they had a practice session, but they were there after the shootout."

I agree, I love college hockey, but he (Doc Emrick) doesn't have to constantly say each time that a girl touches the puck, where she went to college.

Yeah how many times did we hear that New Hampshire only had one player on the roster?

This was my personal favorite:

"If you look down in the corner you can see the fans are doing the wave!"

I mean seriously......who gives a flying &%$#& ?

US men's team advances as Latvia lost. They are in the medal round.

alright, now they get to play unbeaten finland on wednesday, hopefully they can get some offense going vs ovechkin, malkin and the rest of the russians today....

Nor should you. They still have the best and deepest roster. They have had two hiccups. There is a good chance they won't have another and cruise to another Gold.

Canada sure appears to have righted their ship, as they are beating the Czech Republic 3-0 after one. If they continue to play as they are right now, I have to agree with them cruising to another Gold. (Maybe they figure they can't be one-upped by their women's team?? :D )

My new Medal predictions:

GOLD: Slovakia

SILVER: Finland

BRONZE: Canada

LOL...way to go out on a limb, redwing77! Picking the two undefeated teams (thus far) to go 1-2 in the tournament. I'll say this...the Gretzky "distraction" has been more than Team Canada would like to admit.

Finland or Slovakia may wind up with a medal yet, but not both.

Ooops, guess I should keep my mouth shut about Canada's play. 3-1. . . Czech's scored on 2 man power play on a blast from Kubina. Still have 1:45 on power play. Yikes, could be 3-2 before long. Czech's looking much better this period. Have Canada back on their heels a bit.

redwing,

My point is that it probably doesn't matter who the USA throws out there in this type or competition. I don't believe USA is as deep or talented as some of the other teams.

If the Canucks start rolling and get everyone skating hard and giving 100% then they will be unstoppable because nobody is even close to them as far as depth and talent goes. Still, at this level you can't take off a single shift because it could cost you. The Finns have been successful because every single one of them is skating hard and moving and giving everyting he's got. Plus, they are getting stellar goaltending. It's a good recipe for success.

Russkies? Unbelievable talent up front but from the blue line back are questionable.

Swiss have gotta be running out of gas pretty soon.

Czechs are really pu$$ing out---big time. Lots of talented forwards who are doing nothing.

Czechs are really pu$$ing out---big time. Lots of talented forwards who are doing nothing.

I guess having Dominic Hasek, Patrick Elias, and Jaromir Jagr missing all or parts of games has nothing to do with the Czech's this-far disappointing results?

Speaking of Jagr, the Jarkko Ruutu hit on him was one of the biggest cheap shots in Olympic hockey history. Seriously, the guy lined up Jagr from about 40 feet away, flew at him and crunched him into the boards face first. The Finnish coach, stunningly enough, said he felt it was a clean hit. On the planet Goon, maybe, but not here.

Thanks for the updates...what period is the game in?

About 12 minutes into the 3rd period. Score is 3-2 Canada. . . . .but, they are doing their darndest to give the game away. Just took another penalty to give the Czech's another power play. Canada is hanging on by the skin of their teeth right now and so continually giving the Czech's the extra man advantage is going to get them one of these times. Too much time left on the clock!!