SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game over. . . . Canada escapes with a narrow 3-2 win to finish 3rd in their pool. Czech Republic will finish 4th. Canada better kiss Brodeur (31 saves - 24 of which were in the last 2 periods - most were outstanding!) as HE was the lone reason this game was a win rather than a loss. While Canada outplayed the Czech's the 1st period and the first few minutes of the 2nd, from there it was pretty much all Czech Republic. Jagr did play the whole game and I felt he played quite well (had an assist on the 1st goal). Canada had a whopping 2 shots on goal in the 3rd period.

Given the Canadian team's arrogance (not to mention that I'm still miffed at the camera panning to Wayne Gretzky in 2002 and having to watch him yell "f*** yea!" after Canada scored the apparent clincher against Team USA), I'm pulling for anyone but Canada in this tournament.

Given the Canadian team's arrogance (not to mention that I'm still miffed at the camera panning to Wayne Gretzky in 2002 and having to watch him yell "f*** yea!" after Canada scored the apparent clincher against Team USA), I'm pulling for anyone but Canada in this tournament.

Well, judging by the way they played 2/3's of the game today, you won't have to pull too hard. I rescind my earlier comment about them "righting their ship".

I guess having Dominic Hasek, Patrick Elias, and Jaromir Jagr missing all or parts of games has nothing to do with the Czech's this-far disappointing results?

Speaking of Jagr, the Jarkko Ruutu hit on him was one of the biggest cheap shots in Olympic hockey history. Seriously, the guy lined up Jagr from about 40 feet away, flew at him and crunched him into the boards face first. The Finnish coach, stunningly enough, said he felt it was a clean hit. On the planet Goon, maybe, but not here.

Vokun was having a good year in the NHL and I wouldn't consider replacing Hasek with him to be a huge step downward, although Vokun let in a very, very bad goal in the first. Losing Elias hurts them but my point is the rest of the team has to find a way to step up and win.

Sitting around crying about injuries and blaming your team's play on injuries is nothing but loser, pu$$$ talk.

Vokun was having a good year in the NHL and I wouldn't consider replacing Hasek with him to be a huge step downward, although Vokun let in a very, very bad goal in the first. Losing Elias hurts them but my point is the rest of the team has to find a way to step up and win.

Sitting around crying about injuries and blaming your team's play on injuries is nothing but loser, pu$$$ talk.

I wasn't blaming the team's play on injuries. I think regardless of what team it is, you remove their emotional leader of it and it's a whole different ball game.

On a slightly different note, the IIHF has sent a monitor to the Sweden-Slovakia game, as they are not happy with Sweden's coach alluding to the possibility of losing today's game on purpose so they would face Switzerland rather than Canada. Now, how in the heck are they going to prove something like that? (And, as a side note, Slovakia is leading Sweden 1-0.) :D

Okay, in the defense of Sweden, wouldn't that be a strategic move?

You also have to think- what if the team loses, and can't regain it's composure after the loss?

I wouldn't blame a team for not playing their top players as much in a game that really doesn't mean anything. But if you're going to do it, why on earth would you announce it?

On a slightly different note, the IIHF has sent a monitor to the Sweden-Slovakia game, as they are not happy with Sweden's coach alluding to the possibility of losing today's game on purpose so they would face Switzerland rather than Canada. Now, how in the heck are they going to prove something like that? (And, as a side note, Slovakia is leading Sweden 1-0.) :D

Good for Sweden. Then we can hear Canada groan and complain, nevermind that they benefitted from a monster upset four years ago when Belarus upset Sweden.

This is what happens when you have pool play. If you listed the eight teams left, I can guarantee you that anyone who knows anything about hockey would prefer to play either A) Switzerland or B) Slovakia in the first round.

What they should do is make the tournament double-elimination from the get-go. Then there is no jockeying for position in the pool so as to avoid certain opponents in the next round.

Good for Sweden. Then we can hear Canada groan and complain, nevermind that they benefitted from a monster upset four years ago when Belarus upset Sweden.

This is what happens when you have pool play. If you listed the eight teams left, I can guarantee you that anyone who knows anything about hockey would prefer to play either A) Switzerland or B) Slovakia in the first round.

What they should do is make the tournament double-elimination from the get-go. Then there is no jockeying for position in the pool so as to avoid certain opponents in the next round.

Well said!

MafiaMan,

Was anything Gretzky said untrue? Just read the numerous comments on this very board, and it isn't hard to fathom that, when it comes to hockey, a lot of people would like to see Canada lose. That's just the facts. Just like a great many people surely took delight in Team USA's disappointing finish in basketball a couple of years ago. As I've said, ad nauseum, when you're the perceived top dog in something (ie., NY Yankees, Duke basketball), people want you to lose.

I don't equate pointing this out with arrogance. Especially when pinning comments made in 2002 and 2004 to this year's team.

End of 1st - Russia leads US 2-1. US (Rolston) scored on a power play goal with 1:20 left in the period. Russia has had one even strength goal (odd man rush) and one short handed goal (Malkin - another odd man rush). Esche is in net for US and Nabokov is in net for Russia.

MafiaMan,

Was anything Gretzky said untrue? Just read the numerous comments on this very board, and it isn't hard to fathom that, when it comes to hockey, a lot of people would like to see Canada lose. That's just the facts. Just like a great many people surely took delight in Team USA's disappointing finish in basketball a couple of years ago. As I've said, ad nauseum, when you're the perceived top dog in something (ie., NY Yankees, Duke basketball), people want you to lose.

I don't equate pointing this out with arrogance. Especially when pinning comments made in 2002 and 2004 to this year's team.

"American propaganda"? You show ME an example of anti-Canadian propaganda by the US sports "machine." I think Gretzky's "us against the world" speech back in 2002 was pure genius, but I beg to differ on the level of "hate" people feel towards Canada. Besides, for being such a "proud Canadian," Wayne surely enjoys the benefits of living in the United States. At least Brett Hull received dual-citizenship. In Wayne's defense, he has toned it down a bit since 2002.

Don't think I'm Wayne-hating here, either, Canuck. I admired his standing up and commenting on George W. Bush, even though someone decided to hang a nice sign around the Gretzky statue in Edmonton mocking him as a lap dog for the USA.

I guess if Canada doesn't win gold at this Olympics, they at least have an excuse to take a couple of Olympics off and blame it on the 'anti-Canada' attitude that runs rampant in Olympic hockey. :D

"American propaganda"? You show ME an example of anti-Canadian propaganda by the US sports "machine."

I think I can actually do so, I just don't have them with me at the moment. I actually saved several articles from U.S outlets after the 1996 World Cup because they were so ridiculous in their rhetoric.

The Gretzky rant in 2002 was obviously timed and calculated, but there is no denying a large portion of hockey observers would like to see Canada lose. Again, that just comes with the territory. I don't know what you mean by "US sports machine," but I see no problem with people rooting against Canada, nor do I see harm/arrogance in Canadians like Gretzky pointing it out.

I'm guessing the American propaganda comment was directed solely at a sensationalistic media, not the everyday U.S. hockey fan like yourself. Look no further than how this betting scandal was portrayed by the same media. Never was there any indication Gretzky himself would be implicated of any wrong doing, and Rick Tocchet himself was ACTUALLY CHARGED. Yet what are the headlines in the New York Post, the USA Today and so on? "The Great Betzky," etc, etc. Now that Gretzky has officially been all but absolved of any involvement, the media doesn't touch the story, nor do they recant their assumptions that Gretzky was involved.

I have watched every single minute of Olympic hockey this year on both networks, and I have yet to see any display of this arrogance you alude to by members of this year's team, its coaching staff or its management. That's the only point I was trying to make.

About 7 minutes left in period 2. US outplaying Russia, as usual, just can't finish the scoring chances. Russia has iced the puck several times, trying for yet another odd man rush. (Which they have scored on twice.) It sucks to watch a team work so hard and not get a goal, only to see a team throw it out of the zone, get the odd man rush and score! UGHH!