SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hosts SCSU

jk

Last weekend was an opportunity to say goodbye to MSUM. This weekend presents a similar opportunity to bury SCSU. You'd like to say it's another crucial weekend, but they're actually all crucial the rest of the way.

TH mentioned something about the chronological ages of the Sioux and Mavericks, and while I didn't catch the exact numbers, I think there was something like 2.5 years of difference between the average Sioux and average Maverick. It seems like an excuse, and I partly mean it to be considered that way, but there's a reason opponents' hard forechecks sometime bottle the Sioux up. For the most part, these guys have a real edge in grit along the wall, and it's no surprise that they win more of the battles than we would like. This edge in physical maturity is also why players like Prpich, Fabian, Porter and Smaby are so crucial to this year's Sioux team. [slightly off topic, in two years all of those players will be gone, leaving a real hole in the team in terms of grit. Hopefully guys like Finley, Kozek, and Darcy Zajac can supply that edge.]

Anyway, here's a little information about the relative experience level of the Sioux compared to MSUM and SCSU.

MSUM has no freshmen among its top 8 scorers, which breaks down as follows (sr, jr, so, fr): 2-4-2-0. MSUM's 5 freshmen skaters have the following aggregate line:

70 GP 7-14-21

SCSU has no freshmen in its top 10 scorers, which breaks down: 4-3-3-0. SCSU's 3 freshmen skaters have the following aggregate line:

56 GP 6-9-15

UND has 6 freshmen in its top 11 scorers, which breaks down: 0-2-3-6. UND's 12 freshmen skaters have the following line:

252 GP 40-59-99

Dahl reportedly told Motzko when he took over that the cupboard was not bare, and that he would be surprised to see how much he had to work with. I think everyone's seeing now that Dahl was right, and this experienced and older team will be difficult for most teams to play. All that said, if UND's top players play at the top of their games, UND is tough to beat.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great run down and analysis, jk.

The only thing I'd add is that, in 2 years, Kaip will be a senior and I think he COULD very well be our next Prpich starting next season. But any way you put it, you are right when it comes to grit.

Also, other players that I see potentially being good and gritty are Jones (already), Radke (he'll be a senior), Watkins, and Martens (should he get a chance to play). Looking at the roster, of those who will be here in two years, I just see a lot of defensmen as our "gritty" players. I like having forwards with grit as well.

Other than that, there's not much else to say except let's beat White Cloud Community College!

TH mentioned something about the chronological ages of the Sioux and Mavericks, and while I didn't catch the exact numbers, I think there was something like 2.5 years of difference between the average Sioux and average Maverick. It seems like an excuse, and I partly mean it to be considered that way, but there's a reason opponents' hard forechecks sometime bottle the Sioux up. For the most part, these guys have a real edge in grit along the wall, and it's no surprise that they win more of the battles than we would like.

During the Saturday night Sioux/gopher FSN broadcast Frank made a comment about how the Sioux had difficulty moving out of their own zone. Woog immediately responded that there was a good reason for it. 4 of the blueliners are 18 or younger, he said, and when you play against older, more experienced players it's going to cause some problems. Call it making an excuse if you want to, but Woog said it and that's good enough for me.

Good stuff, jk. Anyone else think Motzko might be a better coach than Dahl?

Good stuff, jk. Anyone else think Motzko might be a better coach than Dahl?

Oh Parise, is it even close? I'm not saying SCSU will go on to win NCs and all that, but at least SCSU won't be a big joke like their coach used to be.

Motzko is going to give SCSU:

1. A legit system

2. Legit recruits

3. respect (at least for the program. For the school, Saigo retiring or leaving will have to happen first).

Couple other things. First, I think Jensen and Goepfert, arguably SCSU's two best players, both missed Saturday's victory over UMD with minor injuries. I believe they are expected back this weekend, although that will probably become more clear as the week rolls on. It's a credit to SCSU that they were able to handle UMD so well without two key players.

Second, I recall Hak on the radio after the SCSU series saying he thought the Oshie-Toews-Porter line was in over their heads against the Jensen line - that it was the first time they looked like freshmen. It was no surprise, then, that they were split up after that series. Hak gets a chance to address the issue more proactively this weekend, with liberal doses of Prpich, Fabian and Kaip against the Jensen line. Hopefully they'll play great defense just by playing keep away along the boards 200 feet from Jordy or Phil.

Perhaps this has been mentioned in another thread but I was wondering who has to sit out on Friday's game? I thought it was Sparky and Radke.

Correct.

Goephert is who I am worried about more than any other player on SCSU. Take him out of the game and I think SCSU is no more talented than MSUM.

If we can beat Goephert, we sweep. Period.

Agree with the point on Goepfert. He has the ability to steal a game.

That said, the other big thing about Friday is being down 2 defensemen (Radke and Finley). With a short bench, it becomes VERY important to get the first goal (or preferably two), enabling the coaches to lengthen the bench, and enabling the 3rd forward to stay back.

Look for SCSU to pressure hard in the early going, and to put a body on our top 4 D. I wouldn't be surprised to see Smaby drawing shifts with Marvin AND with Jones.

Who will be the 6th D - Alexander? (Spirko!?)

Friday will be a true test. We MUST be ready from the first drop of the puck.

Look for SCSU to pressure hard in the early going, and to put a body on our top 4 D. I wouldn't be surprised to see Smaby drawing shifts with Marvin AND with Jones.

Who will be the 6th D - Alexander? (Spirko!?)

Friday will be a true test. We MUST be ready from the first drop of the puck.

I would love to Alexander playing on Friday. At least give him a chance and see how it goes. If things don't go well, or Hak doesn't like something he sees, he can always fall back on a 5-man rotation.

Good to hear that Spirko can play, although Radke and Finley will be missed.

So the probably defensive pairings could be:

Smaby-Alexander

Lee-Chorney

Jones-Marvin/Foyt

I think that Marvin is more than capable of filling Finley's role on the team....but not his shoes... :lol:

For either the Bemidji series or Harvard series (I can't remember which one), I remember seeing Alexander and Marvin as a defensive pair. So, if Hak feels comfortable with how they performed back then, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones and Smaby kept together.

Wilbur posted some pretty realistic defensive pairings. Marvin, if you all remember, was platooning with Radke for a while at D. So the question is: Do we go with Alexander, Foyt, or do we try a forward like Martens at D for the 6th Dman on Friday?

My answer to the question is to go with Alexander. He didn't look too bad against Harvard, but still, it is a big drop off from Radke's offensive potential and even Finley's defensive potential.

farce poobah brought up the most likely situation. Hakstol will shorten his bench defensively after the first period and rotate 5 defensemen with Alexander just warming the bench if he feels that Alexander's not able to play well.

One thing is PLAINLY clear: NO Checking from Behind penalties on Friday. ESPECIALLY if you are a defenseman.

I think that alexander should get a shot at d along with marvin. Foyt showed that he cant be counted on during the Minnesota series. And im not sure putting someone young like martens in at d is a good choice in this big of a series.

Plus I don't think Martens plays D. To be honest, I know very little about him to start with. All I know is that, what little I saw during the Harvard series, I was impressed with how hard he works on the ice. I think he could turn out to be another Fabian if he keeps working.

But I agree. In all fairness, Alexander didn't look bad in the Harvard series and Foyt hasn't played D in a GAME yet as a Sioux.

Plus I don't think Martens plays D. To be honest, I know very little about him to start with. All I know is that, what little I saw during the Harvard series, I was impressed with how hard he works on the ice. I think he could turn out to be another Fabian if he keeps working.

But I agree. In all fairness, Alexander didn't look bad in the Harvard series and Foyt hasn't played D in a GAME yet as a Sioux.

Keep Foyt out off of the ice this weekend, have not been impressed with his play against Minney or Harvard. Really like Alexander , don't know if Hak will play him or just put in Marvin (last game he played, thought he chased people around all night, never really playing the puck) or let Smaby rule the rink all night. Depends on if Hak trys to line match, then Todd may get to skate a little. Seems a little foolish to bring in guys that have only played one or two games this season like Foyt, Alexander, and Marvin-may lack some team chemistry in a already young d-corp.

I am figuring that both Foyt and Marvin will be dressed on Friday. I like both guys. They have been around a few years, have put in their time, and are veterans on a team that can use, at times, all of the leadership that it can muster.

Sure, Foyt made a bonehead check on January 9. Did it change the outcome of that game? I really doubt it. Althought the score went from 2-1 to 4-1 during that penalty, the way that the team was skating that night the Foyt penalty had little play at the end of the day. Remember, teams coming off a road trip to Anchorage lose 89% of the time the next time that they step on the ice.

Foyt stepped up huge last year. He goes hard every shift. I am sure that he will be much more aware of his play around the boards. I think that he well deserves another chance, and I think that Hakstol will give it to him this Friday night.

So much for what I think. I never much thought clearly anyway.

The only thing I'd add is that, in 2 years, Kaip will be a senior and I think he COULD very well be our next Prpich starting next season.

I've been thinking the same thing this season. The official coronation will take place when Kaip drinks from the opposing goalie's water bottle.

I am figuring that both Foyt and Marvin will be dressed on Friday. I like both guys. They have been around a few years, have put in their time, and are veterans on a team that can use, at times, all of the leadership that it can muster.

Sure, Foyt made a bonehead check on January 9. Did it change the outcome of that game? I really doubt it. Althought the score went from 2-1 to 4-1 during that penalty, the way that the team was skating that night the Foyt penalty had little play at the end of the day. Remember, teams coming off a road trip to Anchorage lose 89% of the time the next time that they step on the ice.

Foyt stepped up huge last year. He goes hard every shift. I am sure that he will be much more aware of his play around the boards. I think that he well deserves another chance, and I think that Hakstol will give it to him this Friday night.

So much for what I think. I never much thought clearly anyway.

Though much of what you say is true... Foyt is indeed more seasoned than Alexander, has been a presence on the team longer even if it is just at practice mostly, and so on, but he's not played a single game at the DI level at Defense. Also, the score went from 2-0 to 4-1 during his powerplay. Did Foyt's play affect the game? Uh, may not have affected the outcome, but it certainly affected the momentum. IIRC, UND had some momentum building up until Foyt's penalty. Now at points they did play well (like the first 3 minutes of that major, but in the end, yeah, I think I'd rather it be 2-0 than 4-1 at the same point in time that the penalty ended.

Despite that, one mistake doesn't make a "career" so I wouldn't doubt we'd see Foyt again, just not on Friday. I doubt Hakstol would put in a guy who has been playing forward all DI career to play D.

I bet it will be Marvin and Alexander.

Remember, teams coming off a road trip to Anchorage lose 89% of the time the next time that they step on the ice.

Hmnnn...so the Sioux should have just cancelled the game Friday and taken the forfeit? Good thing the 1980 Olympic team didn't look at "odds" or "statistics" or else the greatest upset in sports history may have never happened.

While UND was clearly being outplayed, the fact of the matter is they went from a two-goal deficit to a three-goal deficit while Foyt was in the box. Enough said.

Hmnnn...so the Sioux should have just cancelled the game Friday and taken the forfeit? Good thing the 1980 Olympic team didn't look at "odds" or "statistics" or else the greatest upset in sports history may have never happened.

While UND was clearly being outplayed, the fact of the matter is they went from a two-goal deficit to a three-goal deficit while Foyt was in the box. Enough said.

I suppose the Sioux wouldn't have gotten the Fabian shorty if there hadn't been a penalty. But I'd sure like to see how this game would have gone had the Sioux scored the goal to cut the deficit to 1. Like you said, they were being outplayed, but would that have provided a boost? Cutting the deficit, then having MN explode right back with 2 really had to take the wind out of the Sioux.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts, there'd be plenty of treats for all the kids, right? Fabian's shorty was a spirit-lifter, but promptly giving up two goals was a sure-fire death knell. This has already been mentioned by several people, including me, but given the memory or the Bina incident, it's beyond comprehension as to why the Sioux lead the conference in the type of penalty Foyt received. There's no excuse, none.