SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. AA

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As disappointed as I am in the outcome, I take a couple of positives.

1. The guys put a LOT of shots on AA, but got out-goaltended.

2. They came back late and put some goals on AA. Hopefully they'll have some confidence coming into tonite's game.

Last night's loss just doesn't sit well with me, maybe I'm still upset from the WJC's lackluster team USA performance. Just a couple thoughts any way. 1. Last night's loss is simply embarassing and inexcusable. 2. This team should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for leading the league in checking from behind peanlties. 3. The "hot goalie" excuse is now officially retired as far as I'm concerened. The term poor shot selection will take it's place for me, as well as, no goals off of rebounds. How else would you explain outshooting a creampuff team and not beating them ? 4. For the player's that are putting forth an effort every night and every shift, disregard all of these comments, please. 5. Points are as important in Oct. and Nov. as they are in Jan. and Feb. passing off early season losses as no big deal comes back to haunt you. When the season starts you should be prepared for it. 6. Maybe the US women's Olympic team will lets us play them in a no-contact game so we can get some of our dignity back.

Maybe the US women's Olympic team will lets us play them in a no-contact game so we can get some of our dignity back.

How did the women do against the Thief River boys last night? I read in the Heraldo after they lost to the Warroad boys that they were playing TRF last night.

3. The "hot goalie" excuse is now officially retired as far as I'm concerened. The term poor shot selection will take it's place for me, as well as, no goals off of rebounds. How else would you explain outshooting a creampuff team and not beating them ?

Couldn't agree more with this comment. You don't outshoot a team by 25-30 shots and score only 3 goals. UND's favorite shot is the 'logo killer' on every goalie. I'm sure it'll go through one time for a goal!!!

How did the women do against the Thief River boys last night? I read in the Heraldo after they lost to the Warroad boys that they were playing TRF last night.

It was a "scrimmage" and I'm amazed it didn't get the coverage of the Warroad game. I've not been able to find any information through my surfing efforts.

Sioux Men's Hockey Flag is at half mast and I hope they can string some wins together. Let's be positive and look for a renewed effort tonight. The loses are indeed frustrating, but the seemingly consistent lack of full game team effort is baffling. Put the green hard hats on boys, fill the lunch pail, and outwork the opponent for 60-minutes. Play to potential and take care of business. God Bless the Fighting Sioux!

Maybe it is time to try new lines & just let them go out & play & have Fun ? ? ? Cause it can't be much Fun right now :D

Can talented teams work too hard or be over coached or think too much ? ? ?

Just work on fundamentals & put the puck in the NET for three periods

That cycling thing drives me nutz

I've said this before, if the talent level of this team is so great, its up to the coaches to figure out how to utilize it and get them ready to play with intensity and grit. Only TJ Oshie plays hard every shift. Too many times this season the rest have been nothing more than lackluster in their effort, especially in crucial games (Harvard, Mn, Wis). At least they played with a sense of urgency in the 3rd period last night and hopefully they will try and maintain it for an entire game. If the Sioux expect to finish in the top 3 in the league, they now have to sweep the rodents. Unfortunately, Minnesota is playing at a higher level right now and if the Sioux don't get it together, they'll get blown out in Mpls next week and be traveling during the WCHA playoffs. I sure hope we make the NCAAs so I don't have to sell my tickets to a Gopher fan. Hakstol doesn't have the defensive horses to ride down the stretch this year.

Sorry to be so critical here but what I've seen so far this year is a big disappointment and embarrasing for all the hoopla the recruiting classes receive. Get it together guys and lets start playing some real Sioux hockey!

GO SIOUX

Last night wasn't a "ten minutes of effort" night. They were back on their heels for the first ten minutes of the game, with seven of those shorthanded. At the eleven minute mark of the first, they had no shots on goal. In the next 49 minutes, they had 51 shots. Shots don't matter, but they are at least an indication of whether the team bothered to show up, which they did.

Besides the obvious disappointment of a loss (and of staying up until one o'clock to suffer the loss, which I've done too many times in the last week), the thing that bothers me is that UND lost a chance to rest the WJC guys, and got no points out of the deal. A real lose-lose situation last night. Along those lines, the coaches know so much more than me, but I don't understand sitting Radke when either Chorney or Lee could have gotten another rest day.

Last night wasn't a "ten minutes of effort" night. They were back on their heels for the first ten minutes of the game, with seven of those shorthanded. At the eleven minute mark of the first, they had no shots on goal. In the next 49 minutes, they had 51 shots. Shots don't matter, but they are at least an indication of whether the team bothered to show up, which they did.

Besides the obvious disappointment of a loss (and of staying up until one o'clock to suffer the loss, which I've done too many times in the last week), the thing that bothers me is that UND lost a chance to rest the WJC guys, and got no points out of the deal. A real lose-lose situation last night. Along those lines, the coaches know so much more than me, but I don't understand sitting Radke when either Chorney or Lee could have gotten another rest day.

I can sort of see what your saying jk, but Donnie Lucifer also had St. Phil in the lineup last night in a game that meant almost nothing as there were no conference points to be won or lost and Niagara quite possibly will not be a TUC at year's end (they are not now). And their game started 3 hours earlier. Toews is probably more tired from celebrating than anything. Oshie is sore I'm sure, but he played less than half the bronze medal game. Lee and Chorney are D, and as such they are used to logging lots of ice time. I'm not trying to jump all over you, I just think it's probably not as big a deal as some are tending to make it. Also, while it was apparent to me that St. Phil was definitely wearing down along with Borque, J. Johnson, Ryan and a few others, Oshie appeared to never tire in the world juniors. Even Hak said last night that TJ had plenty of jump.

Lamoureux's 8 games this year:

He's given up 25 goals. That's an average of 3.125 goals per game. (His GAA would be slightly higher due to "out of the net" time.)

The team has scored 14 goals in front of him. Fourteen. That's an amazing :D average of 1.75 goals of offense per game (dare I say offensive offense. :D ) and a scoring margin average of -1.375 goals per game.

Giving up slightly more than 3 goals per game is decent. (I'd prefer more like 2.5.)

Scoring fewer than two goals per game is absolutely unacceptable unless you can play absolute clamp-down lock-down "y'all ain't gonna score" deeeee-fense, and few can. This team hasn't.

Think Phil knows he's getting zip-dot-squat for goal support? Think that may cause him to grip the stick a little tighter and let in a few "yeesh" goals? Imagine standing there knowing if the second one goes by you're probably playing for a tie (and the third is most likely a loss).

Back to the fundamentals boys:

- team play

- play 5-on-5

- team keeps puck out of its net

- team puts puck into opponent's net

That's everybody: Team.

PS - In my world, next check from behind, good call or not, gets a healthy scratch weekend. You can't keep shortening your own bench and giving the other team five minute powerplays and think you're on a path for success. Send the message.

I bet many players would not feel the same about this

TJ has put forth a tremendous effort this year, as well as at the WJC, however, I'm sure he would tell you himself that you win as a team and you lose as a team. Right now I think there are bigger concerns than which players specifically are or are not towing the line . Like, how do we get everyone on the same page to put forth the same effort ? Singling out individual players, be it for good or bad reasons isn't going to help. I've wondered this for a while, is it mental preperations, or physical, or both ? I'm no coach, but I'm just throwing this out there to see what the rest of you guys think.

i look at scoring chances rather than total shots most of the time but didnt we out shoot them 100 to 10 or something like that...damn....did not get to listen to the game so not sure if most of the shots were good scoring chances or just regular shots...keep shooting!!

PS - In my world, next check from behind, good call or not, gets a healthy scratch weekend. You can't keep shortening your own bench and giving the other team five minute powerplays and think you're on a path for success. Send the message.

I don't agree, both TH and Hak said it wasn't penalty, so I am willing to bet that Hak sends a tape to the league office and will definately be giving the league office a earful. If its not a penalty and the ref makes a mistake why should the player suffer? Beside we all saw the penalty Drew got for checking from behind in the duluth game and it was very obvious that it wasn't even a penalty. If we go by this mentality, we should give Drew the night off the next night because of a horribly blown call. I would hope not. Oshie, Stafford, Watkins have all suffered game misconducts. Hak sounded very upset with the call, apparently TJ Oshie got creamed from behind during the game and the checking from behind penalty wasn't called.

If listened to the broadcast, the WJC players were the ones making the plays and causing things to happen. I am not so sure why you are so set on resting kids from playing. The NHL plays every other night in a lot of occassions due to the olympics and them having almost 2 weeks off.

On another note; the players from Minnesota called Coach Lucia and basically said we want to play. Can you put us in coach? From the sounds of the UND players they were happy to be back and at the games.

I don't agree, both TH and Hak said it wasn't penalty, so I am willing to bet that Hak sends a tape to the league office and will definately be giving the league office a earful. If its not a penalty and the ref makes a mistake why should the player suffer? Beside we all saw the penalty Drew got for checking from behind in the duluth game and it was very obvious that it wasn't even a penalty. If we go by this mentality, we should give Drew the night off the next night because of a horribly blown call. I would hope not. Oshie, Stafford, Watkins have all suffered game misconducts. Hak sounded very upset with the call, apparently TJ Oshie got creamed from behind during the game and the checking from behind penalty wasn't called.

Goon, then why are we the only team that seems to have a problem adjusting to the new way this is being called? I'm not saying it's right. It's just like the rule changes for being in the crease, it comes down to the judgement of the official. Which is another can of worms I don't want to open here. If they are going to call tippy tappy crap then it's time to realize it and be aware of it when you are on the ice. Someone needs to make these guys understand that if you hit from behind you might be showering early, plain and simple. It's just an undisciplined penalty to take, especially with the new rule changes, and the way it is being enforced.

Goon, then why are we the only team that seems to have a problem adjusting to the new way this is being called? I'm not saying it's right. It's just like the rule changes for being in the crease, it comes down to the judgement of the official. Which is another can of worms I don't want to open here. If they are going to call tippy tappy crap then it's time to realize it and be aware of it when you are on the ice. Someone needs to make these guys understand that if you hit from behind you might be showering early, plain and simple. It's just an undisciplined penalty to take, especially with the new rule changes, and the way it is being enforced.

I have a theory but I will probably get laughed out of the building. You might want to include the word conspiracy in it. Also Hak said it wasn't a penalty and I am going to believe him on this because I have seen the S#!ty call these officials have made this season, I saw the call on Drew Stafford and I see no reason to over react to these calls.

Some comments:

1. There is a lot of talk both here and on USCHO on the topic of "domination." Well, who dominated? My answer is UAA. No, they didn't outshoot us. However, they did outplay us in all of the important areas of the game: Scoring, rebounds, defensively.

2. Lawson outplayed Phil. Flat out.

3. One thing that was key is that UAA didn't allow many point blank shots nor did they allow many shots from close in straight on net. Most of the shots the first 2 periods (I went to bed shortly after UAA went up 3-0) were from the periphery. Sure, we've scored from out there, but the odds are better for the goaltender when the puck comes from the point IMO.

4. IN the first 1.5 periods, we didn't get many offensive odd man rushes. This is more of a solid transitiional and defensive play by UAA than anything.

5. Several players weren't playing to their potential, but I think there was a lot of players trying their hardest at least in the first 1.5 periods. Toews seemed slow, but really that's the only player that looked like they were affected by the WJC.

6. We got robbed by one bad call and something happened there. I believe Toews' penalty was the start of the slide and Watkin's major was really something to listen to. However, I don't think we would have won even if Watkins hadn't been thrown out. Albers is a rookie in the WCHA, I believe. Well he called like a rookie. That happens. If he doesn't improve it will tell us more about the real problem in the WCHA officiating corps is (see sig).

I was at the game last night (and will go tonight...Go Sioux), sitting behind the Sioux bench. Here are some random thoughts:

-The first two penalties: Toews shouldn't have been called for tripping. The UAA player got his skates crossed and fell just as Toews skated by him (I had a perfect view of it), it was pretty quick, so I can see why no one was too upset (Hak, Hennesy, etc.). Watkins DID NOT check from behind. I also saw the check, it was kind of like a Sioux sandwich with one Sioux player checking and another coming in and going for the puck (couldn't see numbers). Bad call. I couldn't figure out why there was a penalty, and it even took a while for the UAA fans to cheer it. I hate to play the "what could have been", but no PP goal right away, and we wouldn't be in the hole so quickly.

-Phil was the victim of a lot of defensive breakdowns. A lot. He should have been sharper, but still.

-It looked like the entire team just played in the WJC. There was no fire. Everyone just kind of skated around without any intensity. Not sure what's up with that, but I don't like it. Smaby seemed the only player willing to check any Seawolves. UAA wasn't doing anything amazing, just playing hard...look what happens when you do that. :D

-There were maybe 800 people at the game. UAA semester doesn't start until the 17th.

-No offense, PCM, but I hate cowbells at hockey games. Unless they are at an olympic event in Norway, spectators should not have cowbells.

-Oshie looked like the injury didn't affect him at all. He was the last one off the ice during pre-game warmups and skated hard. Chorney couldn't keep the puck in the offensive zone last night.

-The last three goals (UAA's 5th and UND's 2nd and 3rd) all came with Phil on the bench.

-The comments about our shots being logo killers and the Sioux players not being in front of the net for rebounds is a good description of a large portion of the game.

-Both Lawson and Phil had some really great saves. A couple times I thought, "How did Lawson stop that?"

Just my thoughts, the morning after (it's still morning here in AK) :D

-The first two penalties: Toews shouldn't have been called for tripping. The UAA player got his skates crossed and fell just as Toews skated by him (I had a perfect view of it), it was pretty quick, so I can see why no one was too upset (Hak, Hennesy, etc.). Watkins DID NOT check from behind. I also saw the check, it was kind of like a Sioux sandwich with one Sioux player checking and another coming in and going for the puck (couldn't see numbers).

-No offense, PCM, but I hate cowbells at hockey games. Unless they are at an olympic event in Norway, spectators should not have cowbells.

Thanks for the recap from AK! Hakstol said the same thing about Watkins CFB penalty, felt it shouldn't have been a 5min, maybe not even a penalty at all.

Agreed on the cowbells. That would annoy the hell out of me if I was trying to concentrate on the game.

After last years mediocre regular season play I was inspired by Parise's comments below about the team buying into Hakstol's system. Now we are right back where we were last year, waiting for the first weekend in March for the team to start playing. We also lost twice to AA last year.

[quote name=PCM' date='Apr 13 2005, 07:30 PM' post='102963]

JP: When we were in our slump, Dave switched the system and nobody wanted to buy into it. Nobody thought what he was saying would work. After we got swept by Denver and split with Alaska, everyone knew something had to change. We played a more defensive style, but somehow it result in getting more scoring opportunities.

SS: So part of it was that the players and coaches weren