SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. AA

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the WJC players be in action this weekend with the Sioux? They are already "close" to Alaska, will they just fly up and join the team? I think it would be wise to rest them this weekend. Any word?

Hakstol said a couple of weeks ago (on the Coaches show?) that they already had their plane tickets from Vancouver to Alaska.

I believe I've heard that Hak has brought other players to Alaska as well, in case the 4 returning from the WJC are too tired to play. I could see them sitting one game if necessary, but I can't imagine them sitting out both games. In all reality, I think they'll all play in both games. They're hockey players, and they'll want to assist their team as much as possible. With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing them sit out one game to get some rest. In the past, the WJC has taken a toll on players participating in it, as it should, it's a grueling tournament. I'd rather see the guys get well-deserved rest, and be stronger the next game, than to take up space on the bench when their bodies won't allow them to give 100%.

Will the WJC players be in action this weekend with the Sioux? They are already "close" to Alaska, will they just fly up and join the team? I think it would be wise to rest them this weekend. Any word?

Considering how the team looked without the WJC player's, I would think we need them dressed. At this point in the season we need WINS and I believe we have a better chance of winning by putting the "tired" WJC players on the ice as oppossed to the alternative.

ESPECIALLY if Oshie is injured even slightly at that point, I would say don't dress him. These guys deserve their rest. They are really going to be spent, though they may have some adrenaline left. I wouldn't let Oshie play after he left the game. We can't afford to lose him to a more serious injury down the stretch!!!

If any of the others (especially the defensemen) want to dress, I would consider that. However, it's ridiculous how much they played in the last week. Maybe they give them Friday off and let them play Saturday? We'll see.

ESPECIALLY if Oshie is injured even slightly at that point, I would say don't dress him. These guys deserve their rest. They are really going to be spent, though they may have some adrenaline left. I wouldn't let Oshie play after he left the game. We can't afford to lose him to a more serious injury down the stretch!!!

If any of the others (especially the defensemen) want to dress, I would consider that. However, it's ridiculous how much they played in the last week. Maybe they give them Friday off and let them play Saturday? We'll see.

There is one thing the WJC participants have in their favor going into this series: No jet lag.

They are already acclimated to the time zone and, in that respect, may not be so encumbered.

In my opinion, I agree. Give Oshie the weekend off. He worked hard and got dinged up. We don't need another Brady Murray-esque situation.

As for the rest, I say let them play. Lee and Chorney will be chomping at the bit to be back with a team that is in contention (yeah, another bite at Team USA) and they are workhorse type players.

Toews.... let that be a gametime decision on Friday, he plays on Saturday.

My two cents.

As for the rest, I say let them play. Lee and Chorney will be chomping at the bit to be back with a team that is in contention (yeah, another bite at Team USA) and they are workhorse type players.

Toews.... let that be a gametime decision on Friday, he plays on Saturday.

My two cents.

Actually I thought Lee and Chorney played well the games that I watch, Toews looked good and played one less game. Oshie is tough and showed it during the World Juniors.

Are we talking about college kids who are in tremendous shape or Grandma and Grandpa at the nursing home? :lol:

Are we talking about college kids who are in tremendous shape or Grandma and Grandpa at the nursing home? :lol:

seems like some people on this board think these players are 65 year olds :lol: ...these guys are in top notch elite shape and will be able to go unless inured (like oshie) but lets hope hes ok to go..

seems like some people on this board think these players are 65 year olds :lol: ...these guys are in top notch elite shape and will be able to go unless inured (like oshie) but lets hope hes ok to go..

I think some people don't realize what a rough game hockey is. Their legs may move them fine, but these guys are dinged up whether we know about it or not. Remember how Greene played with a swollen elbow last year? I don't think we heard anything about it until tourney time.

It's a different level of play than H.S. hockey and it's more games. I'm more worried about "hitting the wall" towards the end of the season. Players have the same problem when they jump to the pros. Doesn't matter how often the games are, it's the amount.

I think some people don't realize what a rough game hockey is. Their legs may move them fine, but these guys are dinged up whether we know about it or not. Remember how Greene played with a swollen elbow last year? I don't think we heard anything about it until tourney time.

It's a different level of play than H.S. hockey and it's more games. I'm more worried about "hitting the wall" towards the end of the season. Players have the same problem when they jump to the pros. Doesn't matter how often the games are, it's the amount.

i know exactly how tough the game of hockey is and how tough it is to play many games in a single week. i dont think HAK would have invited them on the trip to alaska if they were not going to play if healthy. maybe we can come out and score some quick goals and preserve these guys as much as possible for the weekend. either way it will be great to have them back and to get this 2nd half of the season rolling and work on their pairwise ranking so when i come to g forks on march 24/25 i will be watching my sioux play ;)

I'm more worried about "hitting the wall" towards the end of the season. Players have the same problem when they jump to the pros. Doesn't matter how often the games are, it's the amount.

Of course they're not 65 year old grandpas. Thats just a ridiculous notion. They are FRESHMEN in college, and I don't care how good of shape they are in physically, they will be feeling it mentally.

It's stupid to run these guys into the ground. School starts again this week, they are mentally and physically taxed FRESHMEN. Give them a break!!

I say ask them, but I know they'll undeniably be feeling it. These are crucial games, and I know UND can't afford any more bad games.

I'm just saying, Oshie was injured and didn't return in a MEDAL game. Even if it is minor, why risk it??

I think the team can get 2 wins this weekend, and I'll be up late listening. If they're ready and willing, play them, but I'm just saying I would give them Friday to rest. They've earned it.

Of course they're not 65 year old grandpas. Thats just a ridiculous notion. They are FRESHMEN in college, and I don't care how good of shape they are in physically, they will be feeling it mentally.

It's stupid to run these guys into the ground. School starts again this week, they are mentally and physically taxed FRESHMEN. Give them a break!!

I say ask them, but I know they'll undeniably be feeling it. These are crucial games, and I know UND can't afford any more bad games.

I'm just saying, Oshie was injured and didn't return in a MEDAL game. Even if it is minor, why risk it??

I think the team can get 2 wins this weekend, and I'll be up late listening. If they're ready and willing, play them, but I'm just saying I would give them Friday to rest. They've earned it.

I think they can handle it - we are at a point in the season when we need WINS and putting those guys on the ice gives them a better chance to win except for Oshie who may still feel the effects of going into the boards. Those players can perhaps have a break next week during practices but right now they are needed to help the Sioux position themselves to make the NCAA tourney.

Regardless of what I think, however, I guess will have the answer tonight when the teams step onto the ice. Hak will know what is best for his players and if they don't dress, I stand corrected.

put in oshie thread as well...

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/13561108.htm

hakstol talking

"All four guys have played quite a bit," he said. "I think those guys will be excited to come back to the team and adrenaline will carry them through the weekend. We'll have to be careful to manage their minutes."

Oshie suffered an injury after being checked into the boards during the second period of Team USA's 4-2 loss to Finland in the bronze medal game Thursday. He was taken to the hospital after the game and was released when the X-rays came out negative.

I can just see the Gopher fans recommending that the "WJC Four" would be best served if they sat out an extra week (through Jan. 14th), "just to be sure that they didn't rush back into the fray too soon."

I am nearly 60 years old. If I had the opportunity to play in the Alaska series (or any other series), it would take a pretty serious injury or circumstance to keep me out of the line up. If a player truly doesn't feel he can play and help the team, so be it. But I have to believe that the heart and soul of these players carry on the Sioux tradition of "team first," and they just don't have any quit in them. Remember the quote from last year when the Sioux played the Gophers in the WCHA Final Five third place game? It went something like, "There is no meaningless game. When you put on the Sioux jersey, that's reason enough to want to win." (I think it was Schneider who said that.) That's the attitude that these guys have, and you have to really respect that.

The right decision will be made by the coaches, with input from the WJC from the players.

Go Sioux!

Usually what happens is the guys coming from the Juniors play pretty well the first weekend back. I'm not sure if they are still on adrenaline or what. But the following weekend they don't play that well. Here's hoping that is not the case because I'd hate to see us lay an egg in Minnesota.

I can just see the Gopher fans recommending that the "WJC Four" would be best served if they sat out an extra week (through Jan. 14th), "just to be sure that they didn't rush back into the fray too soon."

I am nearly 60 years old. If I had the opportunity to play in the Alaska series (or any other series), it would take a pretty serious injury or circumstance to keep me out of the line up. If a player truly doesn't feel he can play and help the team, so be it. But I have to believe that the heart and soul of these players carry on the Sioux tradition of "team first," and they just don't have any quit in them. Go Sioux!

That was the point I think a few of us have been trying to make. Anyone suggesting these kids sit out a game or both because them might be a little tired is assanine. Their first loyalty is playing for their UND Fighting Sioux hockey team. I also doubt the players would want to sit out. Their kids that are in awesome condition if anything playing this weekend makes them better.

Usually what happens is the guys coming from the Juniors play pretty well the first weekend back. I'm not sure if they are still on adrenaline or what. But the following weekend they don't play that well. Here's hoping that is not the case because I'd hate to see us lay an egg in Minnesota.

The good part about this is Minnesota has 3 or 4 key players that were in the JR's too and I think it will even things out. I hope Kessel is really tired after all of the first line play that he got.