SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

What makes you think that?

Well apparently there was a vote at the annual coaches meetings about keeping the Gentleman's agreement or not and apparently Minnesota has been a vocal opponent to keeping it. I guess for some reason Lucia doesn't think other teams would be able to take recruits from him. Like Hak said during a radio show that teams don't want to go there. I think it is a good thing to keep it in place.

The agreement survived, but just barely, with four schools opposing it. I'm not sure who the four schools were, but Minnesota has been one of the most vocal in opposition to it.

Ok, I'm putting this in this thread. It doesn't belong in any of the existing threads really and I don't want to create a thread for it so...

UMN got their replacement goaltender for Frazee yesterday by signing Kent Patterson. Not at all surprising. He was among one of the better uncommitted goaltending prospects in the USHL. He'll be a good backup for Kangas.

Backup is the operative word here - it looks like the Gophers got Brady Hjelle's backup.

Patterson, Kent CR 20 1109:43 10 6 1 1 46 2.49 475 .912

Hjelle, Brady CR 41 2380:07 22 15 4 3 99 2.50 1158 .921

Backup is the operative word here - it looks like the Gophers got Brady Hjelle's backup.

Patterson, Kent CR 20 1109:43 10 6 1 1 46 2.49 475 .912

Hjelle, Brady CR 41 2380:07 22 15 4 3 99 2.50 1158 .921

To provide a little logic / background, Patterson developed a sports hernia late last summer that carried into the season. During the 2006-07 season, he was the USHL all-rookie team's goalie. So, while taking nothing away from Hjelle, but Patterson is very talented and proved that -- when healthy -- he's the real deal. Hopefully he can stay healthy moving forward...

A while back, someone stated that there would be one more signing, someone who could be considered a "blue chipper"......this may have been a month ago....I tried going back, but I can't seem to find it. Is this still going to happen, or are we done till next November when the early signings can begin? Anyone?

A while back, someone stated that there would be one more signing, someone who could be considered a "blue chipper"......this may have been a month ago....I tried going back, but I can't seem to find it. Is this still going to happen, or are we done till next November when the early signings can begin? Anyone?

I'm thinking that this was a rumor that turned out to be untrue.

Just like the post following up with information on Joe Howe. :glare:

I'm thinking that this was a rumor that turned out to be untrue.

Just like the post following up with information on Joe Howe. :0

I guess the announcement never came to fruition. :glare:

It was back in February I believe.

While we're on wild speculation:

I bet the rumor had to do with Winnipegger Michael St. Croix. He got drafted in the top 5 of the WHL draft though. It's not impossible that St. Croix will come here, but it is certainly a very long shot.

While we're on wild speculation:

I bet the rumor had to do with Winnipegger Michael St. Croix. He got drafted in the top 5 of the WHL draft though. It's not impossible that St. Croix will come here, but it is certainly a very long shot.

Didn't I read somewhere (Sioux Sports) that he was thinking hard about the college game?

Sure!

Yes, St. Croix is thinking hard about the NCAA route and is rumored to be leaning towards UND if he does go that route.

Yes, Toews and Bertram got drafted highly in the WHL and went the NCAA route instead. However, that seems to be the exception to the rule.

The biggest deal regarding St. Croix in our favor is that he wasn't drafted by Red Deer. If he was, I'd be 90% sure he's going WHL. They are a lot like London (OHL) and Moncton (QMJHL) in that they have no regard for the NCAA and are quite successful at steering players away from the NCAA.

Right now, I'm sitting at 75-25 WHL for St. Croix.

Sure!

Yes, St. Croix is thinking hard about the NCAA route and is rumored to be leaning towards UND if he does go that route.

Yes, Toews and Bertram got drafted highly in the WHL and went the NCAA route instead. However, that seems to be the exception to the rule.

The biggest deal regarding St. Croix in our favor is that he wasn't drafted by Red Deer. If he was, I'd be 90% sure he's going WHL. They are a lot like London (OHL) and Moncton (QMJHL) in that they have no regard for the NCAA and are quite successful at steering players away from the NCAA.

Gee so you're saying there is a chance.

I believe USA Hockey was the one who made the comment. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject like perhaps if said player has committed anywhere else or if there is still a possibility of him committing to UND?

I believe USA Hockey was the one who made the comment. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject like perhaps if said player has committed anywhere else or if there is still a possibility of him committing to UND?

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean there was no commitment...

Sure!

anyone know what this kid looks like? cause all three coaches were eating lunch at the food court in the Union today with a young man who looked to be about 6'0" maybe a little taller and had brown hair and brown eyes....best estimation is about 180-190 pounds .

anyone know what this kid looks like? cause all three coaches were eating lunch at the food court in the Union today with a young man who looked to be about 6'0" maybe a little taller and had brown hair and brown eyes....best estimation is about 180-190 pounds .

did he look like this?... http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2...01/5441561.html

sounds like he would be a huge pickup if he goes the college route

did he look like this?... http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2...01/5441561.html

sounds like he would be a huge pickup if he goes the college route

no....let me think about it a little more and see if i can figure out how to best discribe him to you.

ok edit: he looked a little bit like zajac with a little bit of martens and chorney mixed in. The only way I know how to describe him is that he was kinda cute for a guy that is completely too young for me. And it wasn't Zajac's brothers, i checked.

It was a situation where the kid was close to committing and backed out and is waiting. It happens many times in the recruiting stage.

Cretin Durham Hall defenseman Mark Alt committed to Minnesota. We did recruit this kid.

On another note, the Central District named the players that will participate in the national Select Festivals this summer. We do recruit a good amount of kids from the Central District (including some on our team right now), here are the rosters,

http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFiles/USA...PDSelectees.pdf

the way that you word that makes me think that it was Big A HG's comment a while back that you may be thinking of. USA hockey never said that it would be a blue chip recruit. IIRC.