SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Glass house

Stone

:ohmy:

good point! Does Cornell offer athletic scholorships or do you have to be an exceptionally smart hockey player and qualify for an academic scholorship? It might be ironic that Cornell doesn't have much to show for attracting these players - but I bet the player will have something to show for it, assuming they stick around and graduate!

They did get to participate in "The Most Boring Game Ever" against UW a few years ago in the NCAA regional final.

I can honestly say that it was the only game that I have ever fallen asleep while watching...and not just because it went to 3 OT.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20060326&am...uw&gender=m

When you combine two quality trapping teams and have them meet in the playoffs, it can never be a good thing.

:ohmy:

That was one of the first times I have ever stopped watching a hockey game. The Cornell fans actually like that kind of hockey. I think it sucks and boring to watch. I would rather watch a 5-3, 8-6 game.

good point! Does Cornell offer athletic scholorships or do you have to be an exceptionally smart hockey player and qualify for an academic scholorship? It might be ironic that Cornell doesn't have much to show for attracting these players - but I bet the player will have something to show for it, assuming they stick around and graduate!

Don't they offer stippend to pay for tuition? I don't think they give out scholarships.

I don't think any of the Ivies give merit scholarships. The give a ton of need-based aid, though, and I think their thinking is that the academic threshold is high enough that it is all merit money in a way. Cornell is often seen as being the easiest Ivy to get into, but that is relative. In any top notch school, a recruited athlete will have a little more slack on the academic side of the admissions package. Still, the middle 50% of admitted students at Cornell scored between 630 and 770 on the critical reading and 660 - 730 on math--pretty good.

They did get to participate in "The Most Boring Game Ever" against UW a few years ago in the NCAA regional final.

I can honestly say that it was the only game that I have ever fallen asleep while watching...and not just because it went to 3 OT.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20060326&am...uw&gender=m

When you combine two quality trapping teams and have them meet in the playoffs, it can never be a good thing.

;)

Why thank you brian. I had been trying to forget all about that game for some time now. :ohmy:

Good point, dagies.

I don't see what the confusion would be. UMass never won a title NCAA division on power house.

I've covered UMass for the last two seasons, and I can say that it's becoming a very attractive place for players to come. The coaching staff has a lot of ties to Western Canada, so they've brought in a few kids from there the last few seasons. Also, I think UMass and the Sioux play similar styles, which means they're regularly going after the same kind of players. With UMass becoming more and more relevant in the last 3-5 years, they can compete with the Sioux and big teams out here for recruits.

I was wondering if any of you could update me with Knight. I've read of his interest but haven't heard anything else.

This is by far one of the most informative message boards I've come across on college hockey. New England is very pro sports-centric, so college sports, especially UMass, usually get kicked to the inside pages.

Looks like you guys are interested in Corban Knight of the Okotoks Oilers in the AJHL:

http://www.highrivertimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1321711

#1 in scoring on his team and #17 in the league (also the #1 scoring rookie in the league)

knight and olsen make south all star team with commited sioux recruit macwilliam

team

is this the same game where world class diver robbie earl was cramping up every shift and crawling off the ice? i don't think it is, but i know that one was an overtime one also?

Yep, same game.

Not to be confused with the game where he faked an injury, started limping to the bench, and then realized that no penalty was going to be called, so he joined the rush late and scored a goal.

Yep, same game.

Not to be confused with the game where he faked an injury, started limping to the bench, and then realized that no penalty was going to be called, so he joined the rush late and scored a goal.

Remind me how that game turned out? My memory is cloudy but I think they got some sort of trophy for winning it. :ohmy:

Regardless of how the game turned out, it doesn't change the fact that he is a chode for faking an injury to try to draw a penalty. :ohmy:;)

There was a reason they called him the dive queen. ;) I remember the dive Earl dive signs with the diver down sign on it.

Next season.

He's next in line for the Finley haters. Him and LaPoint. :sad:

lapoint has had a season and a half to earn his criticism, lets give macwilliam at least a game or two ??? . and would you disagree if i said to this point of his career, lapoint has been a dissapointment? i think most of us would agree with that, and i for one hope to see him turn it around and be the player we all think he can be.

I would tend to disagree that Lapoint is a disappointment this year. I feel like he is much improved over last year both in awareness and physicality. I know that he has some improving to do but I see no reason that he won't make those improvements in the next year or two.

I would tend to disagree that Lapoint is a disappointment this year. I feel like he is much improved over last year both in awareness and physicality. I know that he has some improving to do but I see no reason that he won't make those improvements in the next year or two.

Honestly I don't think our defense has played that bad except for a handfull of games. The Sioux lost two games where they gave up a combined total of 4 goals. That isn't bad defense. That is bad offense.

Don't forget to add Gleason in there too. He's a small, well-skating dman. People will say that he's not physical enough.

:sad:

i know you put a smiley out there but gleason is a genoway mold. lapoint has had his struggles this season. i know he has the talent and he will come around but as of now he has struggled but with plenty of time to turn it around. many have seen that. he has the tools . the funny thing is how people get all bent out of shape if a player gets critisized. if a player can get praised for his great play then he can get critisized as well when he is struggling. it doesnt mean a poster isnt a true fan but its calling a spade a spade. big deal. just dont take it personal towards the player.for the most it doesnt reach that but if it does than get a life. thats the line that sholdnt be crossed. theres no need for that but its hilarious that posters get upset when a sioux player is called out for poor play or what not. really? macwilliam and gleason will be big time d men for this team to go along with the 4 that are here already.

i know you put a smiley out there but gleason is a genoway mold.

I was actually thinking that he was like Genoway when I typed that. If Gleason has the same offensive upside that Genoway brings to the table, he'll be a great player.

I saw on the Sioux blog that UND dman recruit Derek Forbort (Duluth East, jr) accepted an invite from the U.S. U17 team to compete in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. Cool to see.

I was actually thinking that he was like Genoway when I typed that. If Gleason has the same offensive upside that Genoway brings to the table, he'll be a great player.

I saw on the Sioux blog that UND dman recruit Derek Forbort (Duluth East, jr) accepted an invite from the U.S. U17 team to compete in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. Cool to see.

Forbort is the real deal and we're lucky to be getting him at UND.

I was under the impression that Cichy was a highly sought recruit?

I'm not sure who was recruiting Cichy. To me, he looks like another VV. Ok offensively, but not flashy.

I know we beat out MJ to sign him. He also has a pretty well rounded game.

I'm not sure he's necessarily a blue chipper, but he'll be plenty good for the Sioux.

I think Kristo was the highly sought after recruit.